JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    hey slowhike,
    do you find the air mat to be more comfy in a tight and narrow hammock than a loose wide one, or about the same in both?
    i haven't tried it in a wide hammock. i would suspect it would feel about the same, but i can imagine that it would be more work staying on the mat in a wider hammock since there's more room for the mat to get out from under you.
    a narrow, tightly stretched hammock forms a trough that keeps the air mat in place.
    but the wider hammock, hung w/ more sag would be more conforming & comfortable w/o the mat than the narrow one w/o the mat.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Images
    i just made a 1.1 oz double layer eno style hammock. it's the first double layer i've tried. it's almost 65" wide. a ba air core does want to move a little bit, but the ccf stays pretty put. The fact that it is sandwiched between 2 layers seems to keep the pad more put than in a wide single layer. i can see how less sag, and thus less degree of diagonal would make the pad more stable too

i really like how the double layer makes any pad much less noticeable too.

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    i've not tried a double layer yet, but have often thought about it.
    that's an interesting note that the air core can still move around some in between the 2 layers.

i've also put some thought into making a hammock that has a built-in SPE. it would be sewn along the edges like a double hammock, but instead of going the full length, the SPE would only be as long as the maker decided.
    for winter it could be full body length.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Images
    it doesn't move much, seems to move only when the user moves around on top of it, this actually could be me not putting it in the right spot to begin with though, and me moving around to slightly diff positions. it does seem pretty tight between the layers, so maybe it's just my imagination, i only tried it for a few mins. it's so marrow though, if it's not perfect, one side of you hangs off.

you should try one though, a double layer of 1.1 is only a smidge heavier than a single 1.9, and probably about the same as 1.9 w/built in spe.

it really does make the pads feel alot less noticable. the best comfort came from a wide ccf with acute triangles removed at the hips, i could barely feel the pad, and you are free to slide around on the nylon, rather than being stuck to the ccf

Quote Originally Posted by slowhike View Post
    i've not tried a double layer yet, but have often thought about it.
    that's an interesting note that the air core can still move around some in between the 2 layers.

i've also put some thought into making a hammock that has a built-in SPE. it would be sewn along the edges like a double hammock, but instead of going the full length, the SPE would only be as long as the maker decided.
    for winter it could be full body length.

hey, just curious, what is the 1st #, the one that comes before the kn#?

?,#kn
    Its the diameter in Millimeter. 25,4mm = 1"
    Writing 4mm is lazy mans way of writing 4,0mm, when you mean 4.0mm.
    Sorry for the confusion.
    Staying with the topic of loads, has anyone ever experinced a snapping rope when lying in a Hammock?
    Last edited by oetzi; 08-26-2007 at 07:19.

Images
    broke 1.5-2mm spectra/dyneema @ knott with a bit of bouncing

Quote Originally Posted by oetzi View Post
    Its the diameter in Millimeter. 25,4mm = 1"
    Writing 4mm is lazy mans way of writing 4,0mm, when you mean 4.0mm.
    Sorry for the confusion.
    Staying with the topic of loads, has anyone ever experinced a snapping rope when lying in a Hammock?

Images
    still confused,
    4,1kn=4mm,1kn
    5,8kn=5mm,8kn
    i get that, what about
    6mm(9,7kn)
    is 6mm indeed rated to 9.7kn?

i've never seen kn ratings with decimal places before. on biners and slings, and climbing rope, and harnesses, and nuts, cams, etc., its always 22k or 25k or whatever, i've never looked at ratings for accessory cord before though. maybe they use decimals on the micro nuts too?

Quote Originally Posted by oetzi View Post
    Hello Folks.

A standard static rope (called "Reepschnur") with a diameter of 5mm holds a STATIC!!!!!! load of ca 5,8kN.
    So for myself I would be on the safe side with this and if I were a weightweenie would even consider 4mm with 4,1KN.
    The customers get a recommendation of 6mm (9,7KN) or better 7-8mm (12,8-14,8KN).

Unless I misunderstand you, you misunderstand the iceman...

4,1kn=4mm,1kn No, 4100 Newton
    5,8kn=5mm,8kn No, 5800 Newton
    i get that, what about 6mm(9,7kn)
    is 6mm indeed rated to 9.7kn? That I don't know...
    He who sits alone, sleeps alone, and walks alone, who is strenuous and subdues himself alone, will find delight in the solitude of the forest.

Images
    [QUOTE=
    Staying with the topic of loads, has anyone ever experinced a snapping rope when lying in a Hammock?[/QUOTE]

I've never snapped a rope, even the cheap, braided poly rope I used for a long time. I have however, been dropped when a strap failed on me once. I believe this was due to my sewing technique and/or using a sewing needle with a burr on it which weakened the strap. BTW welcome to the group!
    Brian
    ...and there came to be a day, all too soon, that I became aware that I could travel no more on my long journey. Though I did not arrive where I had planned, I believe that here is exactly where I am supposed to be...

still confused,
    4,1kn=4mm,1kn
    5,8kn=5mm,8kn
    i get that, what about
    6mm(9,7kn)
    is 6mm indeed rated to 9.7kn?

i've never seen kn ratings with decimal places before. on biners and slings, and climbing rope, and harnesses, and nuts, cams, etc., its always 22k or 25k or whatever, i've never looked at ratings for accessory cord before though. maybe they use decimals on the micro nuts too?
    When I collected the data I took the numbers from the manufacturers catalogue The increase in strenght is not in direct proportion to the diameter.
    http://www.edelrid.de/index.php?id_lang=0000002
    Download the cataloque in english and on page 17 are "powerlock" ropes to which I refer.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast