Page 15 of 65 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast
Results 141 to 150 of 642
  1. #141
    Senior Member schrochem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Austin,Tx
    Posts
    796
    Images
    57
    Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    ok i see. that is a pretty simple hitch. something like that could be made really easy by drilling some holes in an alum plate, it could be made really
    light too, and since it's closed it would be stronger, and could be made even lighter still.
    I looked at it after I posted and essentially there is an anchor in there!
    Yea, it would be easy, just a triangle piece with three holes drilled.
    Oh man, this might not be hard at all.
    We could adjust thickness of the plate and the size of the holes....

    Also, looking at the attachment, I think it's better to tie it the way you did the nine, with the free end out so there could be a half hitch or two. See updated attachment.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Scott

    "Man is a stream whose source is hidden."
    RWE

  2. #142
    Senior Member schrochem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Austin,Tx
    Posts
    796
    Images
    57
    and there were other ways to tie that thing of course

    okay, I've got to look busy....
    Scott

    "Man is a stream whose source is hidden."
    RWE

  3. #143
    that thing looks cool, but i can't believe anyone would actually buy one as a belay/rapell device. i've never seen a b/r device that you had to thread your whole rope through instead of just clipping it in. it would be such a pain to thread 200' of rope through before each rappel.


    Quote Originally Posted by schrochem View Post
    and there were other ways to tie that thing of course

    okay, I've got to look busy....

  4. #144
    Senior Member schrochem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Austin,Tx
    Posts
    796
    Images
    57
    Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    that thing looks cool, but i can't believe anyone would actually buy one as a belay/rapell device. i've never seen a b/r device that you had to thread your whole rope through instead of just clipping it in. it would be such a pain to thread 200' of rope through before each rappel.
    Yea, that's what this dood thought also
    Scott

    "Man is a stream whose source is hidden."
    RWE

  5. #145
    Senior Member schrochem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Austin,Tx
    Posts
    796
    Images
    57
    the connector could actually go lighter (see attached), but I bet the triangle shape is stronger. Perhaps a circle shape with three holes is even stronger than that??
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Scott

    "Man is a stream whose source is hidden."
    RWE

  6. #146
    Dutch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Reinholds, PA
    Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Posts
    6,800
    Images
    198
    I made a three holed triangular piece last night. I work 3rd shift and we have a tool shop with plenty of aluminum. Anyhow it only weighed 2 grams and was able to pick up 289 pound mold with no problem. I didn't want to go higher because the rope I was using isn't rated for that much. I am going hiking today and will be trying them out in the field. I do question if I can get them tight enough. I will be using a bridge hammock so it has to be tight but I can always remove the spreader bar, tighten it a little and put the spreader back in. I have to quit rushing out and buying the next support craze. If this works I'm going to have SMD rings, buckles, and large figure 9s laying around. At 2 grams there is no way I'm going to carry around buckles and 18 feet of strapping.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003


    http://dutchwaregear.com
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

  7. #147
    Senior Member schrochem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Austin,Tx
    Posts
    796
    Images
    57
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    I made a three holed triangular piece last night. I work 3rd shift and we have a tool shop with plenty of aluminum. Anyhow it only weighed 2 grams and was able to pick up 289 pound mold with no problem. I didn't want to go higher because the rope I was using isn't rated for that much. I am going hiking today and will be trying them out in the field. I do question if I can get them tight enough. I will be using a bridge hammock so it has to be tight but I can always remove the spreader bar, tighten it a little and put the spreader back in. I have to quit rushing out and buying the next support craze. If this works I'm going to have SMD rings, buckles, and large figure 9s laying around. At 2 grams there is no way I'm going to carry around buckles and 18 feet of strapping.
    Wow Dutch, 2g is pretty **** light!
    Any details on how thick, wide, etc.?
    We also haven't heard from you on the Bridge thread. Any insights to add?
    Let us know how the tritri works out.
    Scott

    "Man is a stream whose source is hidden."
    RWE

  8. #148
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Belleville, ON
    Posts
    664
    Images
    26
    Just some thoughts...

    Fig 9's look cast to me. I'd bet that they are, forged would be the only other alternative for the seamed edges and with the low strength ratings they give them its highly unlikely since its a much more expensive manufacturing technique

    Modding the Figure 9's... Open loops are much weaker than closed ones, check the ratings on biners open and closed.

    Drilling holes for lightening will significantly weaken anything, and smaller holes means stress concentrators that can trigger failures, especially fatigue related ones. Be very careful lightening your Fig 9's this way without a complete retesting of the strength... I'd suggest lifting a lawn tractor, or something similar if you want it to take something even close to the theoretical maximums of around 1000 lbs.

    Fatigue is a problem with Al. It can lose almost all its strength given enough load cycles. Unlikely in this application, but its possible they may see hundreds of cycles.'

    Proper analysis of a part this complex would be done by FEA, but rough working strengths could be solved by hand. Allow a safety factor of at least 2 to 3 for hand calculations.

    For those of us not familiar with where to buy these, are there Canadian retailers?
    Last edited by Rapt; 09-07-2007 at 11:57.

  9. #149
    the 2 hole looks unstable, but the 3 hole circle looks very promising



    Quote Originally Posted by schrochem View Post
    the connector could actually go lighter (see attached), but I bet the triangle shape is stronger. Perhaps a circle shape with three holes is even stronger than that??

  10. #150
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapt View Post
    Just some thoughts...


    Fatigue is a problem with Al. It can lose almost all its strength given enough load cycles. Unlikely in this application, but its possible they may see hundreds of cycles.'


    For those of us not familiar with where to buy these, are there Canadian retailers?
    climbers load biners hundrerds of times, i've never heard of trashing them after a certain number of falls or bodyweight loadings, only when they get too grooved out.

    not familiar with where to buy what?

Similar Threads

  1. New little product from Mountaingoat
    By mountaingoat in forum Other Vendors and Services
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 06-30-2013, 18:45
  2. Anybody tried this product?
    By easyriver in forum Top Insulation
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 08-23-2012, 12:09
  3. Contest!!! New Product Name
    By pgibson in forum Arrowhead Equipment (Home of Kick Ass Quilts)
    Replies: 125
    Last Post: 07-27-2012, 09:45
  4. JRB Product Announcement
    By Peter_pan in forum Jacks-R-Better
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 09-24-2010, 22:18
  5. New Figure 9 users Gizmo
    By gunn parker in forum General Hammock Talk
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-13-2007, 07:49

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •