Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Multi-day hike. Eastern Ohio / Western PA

I:m looking to do a relatively low impact beginners level multi-day hike somewhere in Eastern Ohio or Western PA. I:d like to stay within about a 4 hour drive (I:m in the Canton, OH area), I:d like a trail loop so I can start/finish in pretty much the same spot so I don:t have to worry about a ride back to my ride, something with fairly accessible water along the way in case I really screw the pooch planning wise, and something you don:t have to be part mountain goat to complete. Company along the way would be awesome if someone else is interested and would negate the necessity of a loop trail as well.

I:ve done a fair amount of camping but never anything where I had to hump my load the whole way (excepting Marine Corp days LONG ago) and would like to dabble in it a bit without worrying about surviving the experience.

Anyone have any good ideas location wise for something that fits the bill, I:m more than happy to hear it. Thanks a bunch.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images
    What kind of mileage are you interested in? Would this be a drive in and setup camp on Friday, hike circuit longer on Saturday, short hike on Sunday back to vehicle, leaving time to drive home kind of deal?
    Exercise, eat right, die anyway -- Country Roads bumper sticker
    Fall seven times, standup eight. -- Japanese Proverb

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    tgreening,

One possibility would be Raccoon State Park, about 1.5 hours east of you.
    http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/statepar...px#backpacking

19.5 miles of fairly easy trail that you could string together pretty much any way you like. Shelters and tent sites are available by reservation. Water and restrooms are at each of the 2 backpacker only camping areas.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    I'll be taking a group over to Hickory Creek Wilderness Area the weekend of May 21-23. That's approx 3.25 hrs away.

http://www.fs.fed.us/r9/forests/alle...hickory_creek/

Fairly easy 11.1 mile loop with nothing in the way of improvements or facilities. Plenty of water along trail if you own a filter. There are a few established campsites, but being a wilderness area, you are free to hang wherever it suits you. I'll add a couple miles on the Tanbark trail to Friday night & we'll hit the Hickory Creek trail on Saturday morning.

Have you checked out backpackohio.com? I am in the eastside of Cleveland area and have found the info there to be invaluable. Some loops I have been eyeing in state are Archers Fork, Wildcat Hollow, Burr Oak, and Shawnee.

Hammock
    WBBB,Claytor JH
    Tarp
    Claytor D, WB Hex
    Insulation
    Ptarm/Incub/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Cross Shawnee off your list, it's mountain goat country! The most important thing is to get out and walk with your pack at nearby parks Before you go on your hike. 11 mi easy hike? Is there such a thing? Lol ... Blew my knee out in summer camp on a 10 miler (With military load) So don't be a weekend warrior, search how others lightened their pack and work up to it! I think there's still some Chunky Soup cans laying around at Shawnee I left behind...
    Ham Mike and I want to get a 1-2 day get acquainted hike in OH. Let us know if you're interested...
    Everett
    "Take me away to a quiet place where beings melt into inner space. Every step brings me closer to see, my haven away beneath the trees." From Beneath the Trees by Everett Dort

Hammock
    DIY-Gathered End
    Tarp
    Speer Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    CCF, KAQ 3/4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I'm planning to hit Wildcat Hollow sometime in late May. From the description at backpackohio, it seems to be a reasonable loop hike.

Agree with the comments on Shawnee. It defeated me two years ago. I'm hoping to tackle the whole 40-miles this fall, but it's certainly not a good beginner's hike.
    "He that lives upon hope will die fasting."

- Benjamin Franklin

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Ed Lobby,

You may want to keep a sharp eye out for blazes somewhere around mile 9ish. There's a stretch with several blowdowns & the trail temporarily disappears for awhile. That is, unless it has been cleared in the past few weeks.

Hammock
    DIY-Gathered End
    Tarp
    Speer Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    CCF, KAQ 3/4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Thanks for the tip. I already made the note on my trail map.
    "He that lives upon hope will die fasting."

- Benjamin Franklin

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    i have a book all about PA hiking trails...let me see what i can dig up for ya...
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast