Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    diy
    Insulation
    IX
    Suspension
    whoopie
    UncleMJM. I know what you mean. My search here on came up with like one or so threads related to material. The rest were all date related

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Clarification: My dismissal of calendered fabric is only in reference to the hammock body itself. By the time you get bottom insulation on the hammock I seriously question whether it would make much difference. For quilts... absolutely find calandered material if at all possible.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    It's a Secret.
    Tarp
    BWDD Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    Clarification: My dismissal of calendered fabric is only in reference to the hammock body itself. By the time you get bottom insulation on the hammock I seriously question whether it would make much difference. For quilts... absolutely find calandered material if at all possible.
    That's a really good point Rev. Once you add insulation, the hammock body material almost becomes a moot point.
    DIY Gear Supply - Your source for DIY outdoor gear.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    diy
    Insulation
    IX
    Suspension
    whoopie
    Ramblinrev. When you put it in that context maybe I shouldn't worry about it. I'm probably going to use some IX from MacEntire in a UQ so that should take care of windproofing on the body. I would cover the outside of IX UQ with what ever camo I can find that I like.

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by tasthree View Post
    pgibson. Thats why I'm asking. Being new to this can be a daunting task trying to figure things out the first time around. I found some interesting ABU camo at $3.95 yd. Says its a new tiger stripe adopted by the USAF but its listed just as 1.9 ripstop. Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought the best material for a hammock body would be calendared and or DWR coated for wind resistance but breathability .
    For a hammock I would say go with what ever you can find that is NOT coated in some way, DWR excluded, as you want what #1 feels good and #2 looks good to you. I have some polyester ripstop that is not calendared and it feels great, is a mute grey color that I think is very nice. It feels so good and the color is great. So I plan on making a small lounge hammock out of it for day hikes and the back yard. Having fabric that is calendared is like Rev and Scott said, much more critical in quilts for wind and down proofing than in the hammock it self. I don't think it changes the strenght of the fabric at all--at least I have never seen of any claim to that sort of thing.

On that note i have been thinking about adding a fabric samples pack to my site, so that New DIYers could get a packet of various types of fabrics and see/feel what they are looking for. Good idea?
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    diy
    Insulation
    IX
    Suspension
    whoopie
    As I'm searching around I'm finding ripstop nylon listed as downproof, water repellent and breathable. Then another place listed as 1.9 downproof. Then other places just as 1.9 ripstop. For myself and refrence for other noobs dose ripstop being 1.9 make it downproof,water repellent and breathable or is there differant grades of 1.9 ripstop ? Uncoated that is.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    diy
    Insulation
    IX
    Suspension
    whoopie
    pgibson. Most people seem to use ripstop nylon. Whats the diff with ripstop polester. Advantages,disadvantges,cost,weight,avail in camo,etc. BTW thanks for you alls input.

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    1.9 is just the weight of the fabric and makes no difference as to how the fabric has been made, what it is made from or how it has been treated or not.
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by tasthree View Post
    pgibson. Most people seem to use ripstop nylon. Whats the diff with ripstop polester. Advantages,disadvantges,cost,weight,avail in camo,etc. BTW thanks for you alls input.
    polyester has less/little/minimal stretch compared to Nylon. Nylon is far more available in ripstops. Finding this bit of poly was a fluke. I was quite surprised to find it and am holding on to it for my personal DIY hammocks. I have never run across any in camo patterns, like I said camo is kind of a take what you can get in the lighter weight fabrics, not much is offered on the market for retail sales. The camos that I and the others here use in our products/and sell to members are some of the only options available to us without buying in 1000's of yards from the manufactures.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    diy
    Insulation
    IX
    Suspension
    whoopie
    Not to get off my topic. But Duh. I just relized that your site is where I'm looking to get my webbing and amsteel. I didn't see any material for sale do you offer camo? How about dutch clips. I'm not sure if I want to use them or just feed the TH thru the loop

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast