DIY
    Tarp
    DIY tarp
    Insulation
    DIY quilts
    Suspension
    whoopie slings

inline nacrabiner

I've started using a nacrabiner to attach one end of my ridgeline around the tree. I inadvertently dropped it while packing up my tarp the other day...thankfully while at home. This got me thinking about how to attach it to prevent this. This is what I came up with. I just spliced another piece of 1.75 zing-it into the end of my ridgeline to make it. I think it should work...any thoughts to the contrary?
    DSC_3837.jpg

DSC_3840.jpg coffee cup if filling for a tree here

Very cool idea!! I still haven't had an opportunity to try and make one of these, but would get rid of the biner at the one end of my Tarp Ridgeline thats for sure!!!!!

Hammock
    WarBonnet BB 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe Spin
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniv + Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoppie Slingin'
    A bowline will do the exact same thing, a large bowline. And you can't drop it. While the nacabiner is bada**, and it has its place, u don't want to be losing things on the trail wher eyou may not be able to improvise.

Quote Originally Posted by ikemouser View Post
    A bowline will do the exact same thing, a large bowline. And you can't drop it. While the nacabiner is bada**, and it has its place, u don't want to be losing things on the trail wher eyou may not be able to improvise.
    Very true!! But I would think that carrying an extra wouldn't hurt as they probably weigh next too nothing?!

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Now that you have your nacrabiner spliced in, add a stitch or two of thread along the splice to keep it there while not under tension.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Couldn't you tie the nacrabiner on the line with a prussic or larkshead then have a fixed loop in the end of the line, so that you would go around the tree and put the nacrabiner through the fixed loop? Then you wouldn't have to worry about loosing/droping the nacrabiner?!

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY tarp
    Insulation
    DIY quilts
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by ikemouser View Post
    If I undstand how your using a large bowline, I don't think it's quite the same. This way you don't have to feed everything through your loop in your bowline. Not bad if your ridgeline is on its own and you attach your tarp to it after it's hung but a little more of an operation if your leaving your tarp attached to your prussics permanently.

This whole idea of this was to avoid loosing a nacrabiner...this way it's integrated into the end of the line, if you loose it you've lost your whole ridgeline.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY tarp
    Insulation
    DIY quilts
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by gargoyle View Post
    Now that you have your nacrabiner spliced in, add a stitch or two of thread along the splice to keep it there while not under tension.
    I just quickly mocked this up with some scraps. I'll use a locked brummel if I decide this is what I'm going to use.

Hammock
    diy fiddle factor
    Tarp
    diy cat cut hex
    Insulation
    whatever
    Suspension
    openable whoopies
    Images
    as i see it this is a great idea. this version of the nacra is a part of the line it can not get lost.it will allways be there, just like a loop biult on the end of the line can not get lost.with the benifit of not having to pull your entire ridgeline thru a loop.i likey.good job thanks for shareing

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    Melz - Your idea is spot on. This has to be the lightest and most secure no tie and no drop solution going.

The inline nacrabiner can even be brought around the tree and the connected to the tarp D-ring, providing clearance for the crossing hammock suspension line, as has been recently discussed.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast