Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    FYI, I ordered the Triptease line, and I do believe it is exactly what Henry Shires uses on his tent tie outs. The line worked great with the linelokcs.
    If you faint in the face of adversity, your faith is small--Solomon

Hammock
    Homemade, gathered-end
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling

Cool

Has anyone ever used trip-tease for bear bag line? Any luck?

I'm guessing pulling the spectra out of the middle to shave a little weight would be kinda dumb...

Hammock
    Custom 1.7/1.1 WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    DIY SWT
    Insulation
    JRB Nest & DIY RMS
    Suspension
    Whoopee Slings
    Images
    That's what I have on my bear bag line.
    Stoikurt
    "Work to Live...Don't Live to Work!"

Images
    just ordered some of the linelocs, they don't work with mason line, so i went to rei, they don't have triptease, but i got some 2mm nylon line, it doesn't work either.

so the triptease is 2mm and it won't slip? anybody put any miles on these things yet?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    just ordered some of the linelocs, they don't work with mason line, so i went to rei, they don't have triptease, but i got some 2mm nylon line, it doesn't work either.

so the triptease is 2mm and it won't slip? anybody put any miles on these things yet?
    WBG, on the ITW Nexus site it says that the lineloc 3 works with 2.5-3mm line. I also found this post on BPL (scroll down to find the post by Ron Bell). He says they are using 2.8mm line. Please, let me know how the linelocs work. I am trying to decide whether to put ladderlock buckles and grosgrain on my tarp, or whether to go with the linelocs.

Images
    too bad he doesn't say what kind of line it is. i e-mailed nexus and asked them for suggestions on what line to use. i tried some of my 3mm suspension line. it worked but seemed a little tight. 3mm is a little large for guyline anyway, but so is 2.5. they do seem like they could be really nice with the right line.
    Last edited by warbonnetguy; 03-01-2008 at 07:29.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by stoikurt View Post
    That's what I have on my bear bag line.
    I use a little larger diameter (and heavier ) bear line because I had heard a story a few years back where someone had that small diameter line cut into the branch and they couldn't get their food bag to drop down the following morning. For a while, the Campmor catalog had something about not using it for hanging bear bags. Have you seen any tendencies for the line to not slide freely over the branch?
    Youngblood AT2000

Hammock
    DIY parallelogram/speer
    Tarp
    guidegear camo 12'
    Insulation
    garlington style
    Suspension
    webbing
    Images
    They don't suggest triptease as bear bag line because it'll cut a branch as a function of it's small diameter, and also(but more importantly to me) the little bit of heat from the friction of going over the branch degrades the spectra core with it's crazy low melt temp... that being said I used it as bear bag line for about 100-120 nights with weights from about 1-30lbs(big groups of silly people), the sheath has definitely seen better days and the core is sticking out about 10 inches on the free end even after pulling the sheath tight(stretching from the heat?).

The group of people that started ahead of me on the AT was having a fit one morning because the 4 of them had used triptease and it had gotten a little stuck and when they tried pulling it up a little and letting it back down the line broke and left the bag in the tree(a knot in the line maybe?). When I came across them they had 5 or 6 hiking poles lashed together in an attempt to knock it down. That was about a day after Neel's gap.
    "nickels and dimes, yours and mine, did you cash in on your dreams? You don't dream for me no" Third Eye Blind

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/Doors
    Insulation
    Yeti or JRB Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Here's some detailed specs on Triptease and comparable products (specs are about half-way down the page). The diameter works out to be 2.2mm.

Here's some tensioners that work with small diameter lines. They're fairly expensive but in my limited experience they work well (I don't have a lot of miles on these yet). I haven't tried these with Triptease. For a short time I seem to recall that they also sold just the tensioners without the line; but I couldn't find them today.

I've used Triptease a lot for the past five years and its really good stuff. The sheath makes it easy to tie all common knots and the line is quite strong for its size. I have noticed some minor stretching of the core over time such that a little bit will stick out of the ends of the sheath; but it hasn't seemed to cause me a problem. I'm slowly switching to braided spectra where crazy-low weights are more important than spectra's limited knot-holding abilities. But I've got so much Triptease around that it'll be with me for quite a while.

As others have said; I wouldn't recommend Triptease or any thin lines for bear bags because of damage to tree bark and the risk of the line getting stuck in the tree. I DO however currently use Triptease for "racoon bagging" (much more important in my part of the world). Racoons don't have quite the reach of bears so low hanging branches work well.

Hammock
    TeeDee Bridge Hammock
    Tarp
    Customized JRB
    Insulation
    Down or IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I've been using those Linelocs on small diameter braided cord for a few months now. They work very well.

Just measured the cord - 2 mm diameter.

The only problem I had with them is minor. One end is designed is designed to be secured to fabric using narrow webbing. I tied one end of the cord instead there and it was kind of floppy, but still worked well.

Don't know how much load they will hold. Where I used them, the load was quite light and so they weren't really tested under load. I use the cord and a lineloc as a belt for my poncho. Works well for that. And light.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12