OK, after reading about Amsteel, I purchased some 7/64" to try. I had never heard of it before I read about it here recently. It's very different from paracord...

So I go onto some websites to try to learn about the different knots I'm always reading about here (carrick, diamond, prusik,etc.). I try youtube, which has lots of videos of "how to tie" knots...but they aren't really for the beginner; they go fast, and even pausing every few seconds, I get lost quickly. So I go to some of the "how to tie knots" websites that have diagrams of each step...even worse!

Now I usually have very good visual/spatial skills, but I can't figure out how you learn to tie knots by yourself with just diagrams or videos. I'm sure that having someone else show you how, correcting you immediately as you make a mistake, would be the best way but I don't know anyone else who "knows" knots.

When I go backpacking with my new hammock next weekend, I'll probably fall back on my "multiple twists, multiple wraps, multiple overhand knots" method of fastening the lines. Anyone else have this visual/spatial problem?