Thread: Newbie

Hi all ,my name is will i live in the uk am nearing my 50th year as a avid outdoorsman ,i have just got my first hammock and have spent 2 nights hanging about ,im not sure yet as to which i find more comfortable a tent or a hammock or as i do in the summer months bivi bag camping ,any help to convert me to hammocks gratefully recieved

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.1 dbl layer.
    Tarp
    WB Big Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Crowsnest & Burrow
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Welcome to the forum ... Check out the Warbonnet Blackbird! It will help convert you ...
    Questtrek
    "In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks". John Muir.

Hammock
    WarBonnet BB 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe Spin
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniv + Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoppie Slingin'
    to get up to speed: Buy the following lines: amsteel 7/64, dynaglide. You will also need webbing tree huggers to go along with the suggestions below. Make the following:

Continuous tarp ridgeline with prussic attachments to tarp drings(weather protecion forum)
    Whoppie slings (suspension forum)
    Loop shackles/nacrabiners(suspension forum)
    marlin spike hitch knot
    penberthy knot
    adjustable structural ridgeline for hammock(suspension forum)

learn all those and you'll be like an old vet, enjoy

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB DL 1.1 & Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images
    Welcome to the forum. Check out Jeff's "To the Wood's" website and also check out Shug's 10 Video's for newbies. Lots of good info there.
    " The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it."

“The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

hang on this all sounds jibberish to me amsteel7/64 dynaglide,iv made my tarp out of an old tent fly ,and my hammock is a dd cadet ,i live in the uk ,where it does get below zero but not as low as the weather in the us and canada,iv seen shugs vids on yt and to be honest allthough they are very good and informative ,i dont think i need under quilts and over quilts ,all i want is a hammock in a tree my old trusty british army bivi bag to stop the wind and my faithfull army sleeping bag ,to stop me getting cold butt i use a closed cell kip mat ,and it scares me to think of what a bear borito is i guess its something for the bears you have there ,well the only thing i have to worry about are the local sheep ,and they make good eating.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hunter45 View Post
    hang on this all sounds jibberish to me amsteel7/64 dynaglide,iv made my tarp out of an old tent fly ,and my hammock is a dd cadet ,i live in the uk ,where it does get below zero but not as low as the weather in the us and canada,iv seen shugs vids on yt and to be honest allthough they are very good and informative ,i dont think i need under quilts and over quilts ,all i want is a hammock in a tree my old trusty british army bivi bag to stop the wind and my faithfull army sleeping bag ,to stop me getting cold butt i use a closed cell kip mat ,and it scares me to think of what a bear borito is i guess its something for the bears you have there ,well the only thing i have to worry about are the local sheep ,and they make good eating.
    Get it on ..... I like your style.
    Old school and practical)))))
    Bear Burrito=Welsh Pastie .... meat wrapped in nylon or dough!
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Quote Originally Posted by hunter45 View Post
    hang on this all sounds jibberish to me
    Ignore the jibberish.

The two biggest things on my "Why didn't somebody tell me?!" list are:
    1) Don't try to hang your hammock too tight. Too tight is more uncomfortable to me than too loose and that took me forever to figure out.
    2) Play around with the height of your head vs. your feet. I discovered that I like my feet a lot higher than I thought or I like my brain lower than I thought or something like that.

Ignore the jibberish.

thanks guys,shug i like your vids your one crazy dude ,you know how to make a good vid and how to make people laugh ,at the moment im unemployed and trying to make the best use of the time ,by going camping, hunting and just generaly messing about in the woods ,im on a tight budget so every thing has to be the cheapest i can get or homemade ,im getting more used to hammocking as time goes by and the other guys i go camping with are tenters or bivi baggers ,we go camping at least three nights a week
    there are 8 of us and im the only bat who hangs in the trees ,thats what they call me when we are preping to go they ask me are you taking the bat bag ,yep i am ,i dont have to worry about the ground dwelling bugs ,slugs and foxes scent marking me oh and dont forget the only venemous snake here in the uk ,iv seen many of them under tent ground sheets and they aint nice ,id hate to be a tenter in the us ,what with snakes that kill ,ticks ,fire ants, scorpions, bears,and all the other stuff thats out to kick ***, ill stay in the uk and stay in the trees .

• + New Posts