WBBB 1.1 Dbl; Nano 7
    Tarp
    Flat 8x10
    Insulation
    Yeti; CCF
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by GnomePatrol View Post
    You win. Where is the tarp in the first pick.? I suspect my eyesight is not as keen as it need be.
    It's right in the middle and to the right. Look behind that tree in the middle of the picture.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    diy
    Insulation
    IX
    Suspension
    whoopie
    Ya may call it the DIY bug but after all this reasearching and looking at pics and what not. Its more like chigger bites. I'm itching do do something and I can't get it off my mind. After spending many hrs looking on the net there was of course no camo silnylon. Didn't want PU. I could only find some untreated 1.9 ABU,some 1.1 universal digital and some 1.1 woodland. I looked at and read military writeups on the ABU and universal and decided against them. Don't know why they picked them either. I ended up ordering some woodland camo and olive green from Scott. Then I ordered some dark brown,dark green,moss green,black and med grey from OWF. I'm going to combine a couple of processes I've read about here on HF. Its going to take a while for me to do this. I have never sewn this big of project. I think I'll do the bodies before I try the tarps. When I'm done I'll update this thread with some pics. I'm going to call the finished hammocks the Wren. Inspired by a pair that woke me up yesterday mourning building a nest outside my bedroom window. The wren will nest just about anywhere like a hanger can hang just about anywhere. They are multi colored and blend in. They also seem to be always getting into something just like me. They are a pretty cool fiesty little bird. Anyhow thanks for you alls inspiration Gotta go figure what size and shape of tarps I wanna do now.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 Dbl Coyote Brown
    Tarp
    Superfly, MacCat
    Insulation
    Leigh's 2/3UQ,Yeti
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    I've just recently received my Warbonnet Blackbird Double 1.0 in Coyote Brown. I've been practice camping with it behind our house to get familiar with it before I take it into the wilderness.

This is a stealthy site I found off a trail in the woods behind our house. On the other side of the bushes, it's clear. Last night was a nice night in the 60's. I slept without a tarp and on top of a sleeping bag. I was very comfortable, but the coyotes were making lots of noise and that made all of the dogs in the area go nuts, so next time, I'm wearing earplugs.

Salty

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    diy
    Insulation
    IX
    Suspension
    whoopie
    No matter what pure black just stands out. I.e your straps. I'd like to see a pic with the tarp up. Maybe it was the coyote brown color attracting the yotes. Sounds like instead of earplugs you need a predator call and a Bang Bang tool. There is no yote season in NC. I usually don't hunt them in the puppy time of year though.

Hammock
    WB BB DL 1.7oz
    Tarp
    SuperFly/Oware
    Insulation
    KAUQ,WBurrowTQU,PL
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    This is taken from across the driveway, house is just to the left. Camp 40 yards away. second is walked right up to. New WB BB with Oware 8X10
    The Older I get, the Faster I use to be.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    diy
    Insulation
    IX
    Suspension
    whoopie
    I hope its ok to resurrect old threads. I'm just now getting to the tarp portion of this three setup project and want to follow up on this thread. As I finish the other colored tarps and as the seasons change I'll try to post additional follow ups to show the contrast of the different setups. I will use the same exact spot to hang the hammock for each time and the same spots for pics shots. The first pic is at about 5 paces. The second is about 20 paces and the third is about 50 paces. This was the very first time hanging this tarp so its got a few wrinckles in it. Its a Ogee copy with my own twist and I have no idea what I'm doing with it yet. I hope Gargoyle dosen't get upset and haunt me for copying. I had some ideas in my head cause I wanted doors on our tarps. The use of the left over cutout on the edge was to great of idea to ignore. Great job Gargoyle.
    "If the women don't find you handsome,they should at least find you handy"-Red Green

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon Wide
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    UGQ 20*TQ/ 0* UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    KK, what boardwalk were you hanging under?

Hammock
    ENO/tablecloth
    Tarp
    wb superfly
    Insulation
    yeti,peapod(1st v
    Suspension
    whoopies treestrap
    Quote Originally Posted by bundy71 View Post
    KK, what boardwalk were you hanging under?

that was at the NOC under cabin C at the southern ruck!!
    Peanuts

"A womans place is on the trail"

Hammock
    Hennessy Hyperlight
    Tarp
    Hennessy Poly Hex
    Insulation
    DIY and JRB quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tasthree View Post
    These show what a little contrast does.

Ha ha ha. That fourth photo is really funny because it is my photo. There is nothing less stealthy in the world than a purple Hennesy Hammock with a bright blue tarp . . . unless you are trying to blend into a clown convention.

My daughter, however, loves it.

Here is an even more obvious view.

FreeTheWeasel
    Last edited by FreeTheWeasel; 09-18-2010 at 12:00.

Hammock
    WBRR, DIY's
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter Pa
    Insulation
    HG Burrow 20, UGQ
    Suspension
    Warbonnet buckles

NEED for stealth

Some folks have asked about the need or rational reasoning behind wanting to stay stealthy. I have a good one.

I live on a Bay that was my favorite place to camp and hang out as a child. There are hundreds of small islands in this Bay. Almost all of the islands are deserted and all are accessible only by boat. Now this un-named Bay is now "protected" and it is not specifically said that camping is prohibited. Of course there is nothing mentioned to the otherwise either. If I were to take my boat and pull up on the beach and pitch a tent, it is quite likely that someone might come up and want to know what I am doing. I can paddle my sea kayak up to any of these islands and pull it off of the beach, hang my hammock, and leave the next day without leaving a trace that I was even there. This is some kind of nice! I have never run into anyone else camping on any of these islands.

This type of "native" enjoyment has affected the color of nearly all of my gear.

Cheers,
    Doc

• + New Posts
  • Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast