Whoopies + straps
    Images
    Very stealthy, Kayak Karl!
    "Pips"
    Mountains have a dreamy way
    Of folding up a noisy day
    In quiet covers, cool and gray.

---Leigh Buckner Hanes

Surely, God could have made a better way to sleep.

Surely, God never did.

Hammock
    Too many to list
    Tarp
    Cuben with doors
    Insulation
    FlThrwr UQ+DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies + straps
    Images
    How about this?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Pips"
    Mountains have a dreamy way
    Of folding up a noisy day
    In quiet covers, cool and gray.

---Leigh Buckner Hanes

Surely, God could have made a better way to sleep.

Surely, God never did.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Alright... I'll try to explain my point. The guy obviously knows a lot about camouflage and camping. He obviously has a high level of experience in that regard. I have seen a lot of people who are unwilling to trust their own knowledge and their own experience. When you already know what you're doing sometimes the best approach is to work with your own strengths. Adding more data to overload often just creates more overload.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    none
    Tarp
    none
    Quote Originally Posted by francescaloves2hike View Post
    Gees, Rev! Give the guy a break! He's just chatting about a subject we all are interested in: hammock camping. If you're not interested in stealth camping, move on to another thread!
    Nothing in either of Rev's posts should have caused offense to anyone.

I suggest you calm down and reassess the posts in this thread.

I've noticed that there are a lot of people coming over here from other forums, one survivalist forum particularly. If you're not from there, ignore what I'm about to type. If you are, take this advice please.

The kinds of attitudes and trash talk that goes on over on these other sites isn't necessary here. We're all here to learn from one another. We are not here to flame one another at the first opportunity. We're all adults here. If you feel you or someone else has been wronged, take it to PM. Keep the threads clear of this kind of stuff, please.
    I have heard your confession I know who you blame
    If you had it all back you'd just lose it again
    Can't bank on redemption if you ain't saved
    Don't bring me your tales of temptation and loss
    Don't bring me the pieces of your shattered cross

-- Stuart Adamson

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1SL/UKHamm
    Tarp
    HG Cuben 4S/CamoSF
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WhoopieDutchness
    Not sure if they'll be any use ...

DD Forest Green 3x3m on the left, BB Superfly on the right ..

Not so stealthy but the same tarps ..

One of my pals has a camo Hennessy, not sure which one but it's pretty old now. He has problems finding it himself sometimes if he's been away from camp

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    I mysef like earth tones....they will blend in nice in any area

2nd that Ful
    everyone needs to play nice i don't think Rev ment any harm in his post
    just stating his opinion
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    Alright... I'll try to explain my point. The guy obviously knows a lot about camouflage and camping. He obviously has a high level of experience in that regard. I have seen a lot of people who are unwilling to trust their own knowledge and their own experience. When you already know what you're doing sometimes the best approach is to work with your own strengths. Adding more data to overload often just creates more overload.
    my pic was at the SoRuck only about 3 people SAW my hammock under deck. its not about camo, but location.

this site i had to walk through water to get to

this one i turned my UQ insideout till dark, as i could see trail.

up over a ridge. down off a cliff. its easy to hide.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    diy
    Insulation
    IX
    Suspension
    whoopie
    To any,all and future. I took no real offense from ramblinrev. Maybe a little misunderstood. Any way he PMed me with a Apology and explano. I hope he got my reply with the same. All is well and civilized. I was just telling the wife after Hot Springs how nice this forum and the people were. Some forums and people are just outright rude and crude. I have so many interest so I research to get the best bang for my buck. But it can be time and brain cell consuming. Great start on some pics. As a outdoorsman thats getting a little long in the tooth some things become second nature. For example in shewie's first pic the first thing that caught my eye was the yellow 5gal bucket then the angling line of the tarp on the left,then the horizontal lines for the tarp on the right,then the dangling things in the center tree,then more trash in the grass,then the young black bear peaking thru the trees way back on the far left. Man and his stuff just sticks out in the woods unless concealed some.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    tas - I find that the gray/silver silnylon, possibly what you're calling sharkskin, actually blends in much better in the woods than it looks like it would. I think it has to do with how the light hits it...it's not really see-through, but it's very thin and gives a good canvas for the natural shadows to play on so it doesn't really stand out. Since it's readily available for DIY, you might try it. Another advantage is that it works well across seasons...green works in summer, brown works better in winter w/o snow, but this gray works pretty well in many different situations.

Mod's note - as moderators we can't read every single post. If y'all see someone continually posting adversarial or rude comments, please drop us a line to let us know. This behavior is often taken care of by the members with a simple, polite "not welcome here" comment...but it's still something we'd like to be aware of in case it comes up again or in case it doesn't stop.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    Grand Trunk UL Travel
    Tarp
    cat-e-nary-cut
    Insulation
    bearskin rug
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Three photos of Multicam poncho and tarp.

Multicam is very good camo. But look at the abrupt hard edge from the log, the shadow under the tarp, and the contrasting foliage.

I have looked at photo galleries of hammocks and hammocks with tarps online at vendors, at forums. The outline makes the hammock and tarp stand out, especially so against the skyline. One white tarp looked good, however against the skyline. It could be mistaken for surf or the clouds.

My point is, camouflage isn't perfect.

That particular gray silnylon is "stealth" camping, especially so, for bicyclists who put their bicycle on the ground and sleep on the ground. But tall grass will do the job, often, as well.

Brawny has a YouTube video about colors of camping gear: Stealth Colors for Backpacking.

If you can to "stealth camp" don't just stay around, and, look at the campsite you have made from a number of different vantage points. Walk around.

I like coyote brown, also. Olive drab isn't bad. White works on snow, if you get the branches and debris in front of you. If you are in front of branches or debris, you "stand out".

I hope that helps, but don't kid yourself about camo. Oh, I got some camo material, so, like, I'm invisible. No, you aren't.

I regard "stealth" camping as part of Leave No Trace. Also, I do not clutter the beautiful views.

I have excellent color discrimination. I can spot elk standing still in a thicket. I can spot the soldiers "concealed" in the Duro Multicam Photo Gallery.

But the colors mentioned, and, the methods of concealment mentioned help.
    Last edited by Connie; 05-03-2010 at 19:18.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast