DIY
    Tarp
    diy
    Insulation
    IX
    Suspension
    whoopie

Stealth pics wanted.

I'm needing to make three compleate setups and I'm starting to suffer from TMI and TMD. One is the color for the tarps. I want them to be stealthy and now that DIY sil for tarps seems to be working the color choice is better espically camo. I was at Hot Springs looking around for ideas. Problem was there was so many set up so close togeather and in mostly open areas it was kind of hard to get a good comparison. My wife seemed to think one was good which was I think a Speer sharkskin color. Forget his name but the fella said it always had a green tint to it. I thought I read somewhere the someone felt that the greyish color seemed to reflect the surrounding colors off of it. As a hunter I'm always trying to match seasonal colors. Mostly spring and summer then you have fall and winter then you have snow conditions. I'm thinking maybe two designed more for summer and fall then one for late fall and winter. Anyhow most pics I'm seeing people posting are,no offense, to show their works off which is great. I would like to see some pics of your set ups in the stealth mode for Summer,fall,winter and snow. Please state the colors and where purchased. I'm also wanting at least two of them modular in design to be stripped down in warmer season then doors or such added for colder seasons.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    I'm confused. Why is it so important to see what other people have done rather than using your own intuition and creativity? I'm not trying to dis on you but here is what I am finding confusing. You stated that you are getting overwhelmed by tmi and tmd but now you seem to be asking for even more. Unless you are planning to camp in places where you would be trespassing or subject to legal action if you camped there, I suspect total stealth is not really all that important. My advice is use your own judgment and don't get overloaded any more than you already are.

Edit: I'm not a hunter but I've seen some suggest that your sleeping area and campsite should be easily visible to protect yourself from other numbskulls who don't know how to identity their targets properly.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Formerly of Yosemite and Zion NPs. Currently residing at Grand Canyon NP.
    If they are stealth, you shouldnt be able to see them right? so theres not gonna be any pics... if you can see them, they really arent stealthy then...

As a sometimes solo hiker I like the shades of browns.
    Get busy living, or get busy dying.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    diy
    Insulation
    IX
    Suspension
    whoopie
    Ramblinrev. Um don't know what to say but seeing pics of various colors that are avail in actual use would help make up my decision on what to spend my money on. For example. A lot of camo cloths made are for the human mind when in actuality from a distance it turns into a single color blob in human form. So I often wear a differant design for my top,bottom and hat to break it up. No offense here but if you have never seriousley hunted anything I guess you wouldn't understand this. Especially hunting Coyotes. I'm not doing anything illegal or anything. I have many various reasons why I want stealth. #1 If I'm going to spend my time and money on something it has to be multi functional. I try to stay prepaired for things which includes if TSHTF scenario. #2 I have a very paranoid wife who's afraid of weirdos on the trail. We live near where the fella killed that girl and elderly couple on the AT a few years back. This didn't help her at all to say the least. I could go on but I'm off subject and this post isn't to defend on why I want stealth. As far as other numskulls go. I usually don't camp in stealth during Deer season which is when most of the numskulls come out. If I do thats what a hunter orange flag or such is for. Now how about it ya all. I know some of you have to have some pretty cool stealth set ups .
    Last edited by tasthree; 05-03-2010 at 12:46.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    What ever floats your boat... No offense intended.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    diy
    Insulation
    IX
    Suspension
    whoopie
    Cuffs. I actualy left the door open on that and was waiting to see how long it took one of the yahoos on here to post a pic with out nothing really in it . I like a good joke or laugh also .

Hammock
    Too many to list
    Tarp
    Cuben with doors
    Insulation
    FlThrwr UQ+DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies + straps
    Images
    Gees, Rev! Give the guy a break! He's just chatting about a subject we all are interested in: hammock camping. If you're not interested in stealth camping, move on to another thread!
    "Pips"
    Mountains have a dreamy way
    Of folding up a noisy day
    In quiet covers, cool and gray.

---Leigh Buckner Hanes

Surely, God could have made a better way to sleep.

Surely, God never did.

Hammock
    It's a Secret.
    Tarp
    BWDD Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Slings
    Images
    Then let me be the first...

These all came from Backwoods Daydreamer, a company that I happen to be very familiar with...

Unfortunately, this material is not longer available, but at least I'm posting some pictures. I now carry a "Treebark Brown" that has a distinct olive hue to it, but I'm lacking pictures at the moment.

9x7 Tarp.
    Custom 9x6 Camo (4).jpg

Winter Dream in Camo.
    WD Camo 1.jpg

Sorry, I know they're not in stealthy environments or pitching scenarios, these were just taken to show the tarp.

And this one is for hunting season.
    WD (Cantaloupe) P5 (2)2.jpg
    DIY Gear Supply - Your source for DIY outdoor gear.

Formerly of Yosemite and Zion NPs. Currently residing at Grand Canyon NP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    I suspect total stealth is not really all that important.
    Scuse you? As a solo hiker and female, the last thing I want is to be seen. I do try to be as stealth as possible and even take my clothing choices into that consideration... the only time I remotely break that is when mandated to wear my 144 square inches of blaze orange when in hunting areas.
    give the guy a break, he wants stealth, let him have stealth.
    Get busy living, or get busy dying.

Images

Talking

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast