Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Anyone Used the HH 30D Sil 11'x12' Tarp?

Hi everyone....... I was considering purchasing Tom Hennesey's $129 Oversize Hex Tarp and wondered if anybody has used one? The stock is just too small as I tire of not being able to "hang" out in rain with it..... Having to stay in the hammock during a down pour is not really my idea of enjoying the moment.......... Thanks in advance for any comment(s) related to this matter.....

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY cat diamond
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ & OQ
    Images
    Do some research. I think you can get a better/lighter tarp for the same/less money. I'm not knocking tom's stuff, its good. Just better deals to be had. If you sew, you could make one for half the cost.

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    For $130.00 I would go with a MacCat tarp. You can get the Deluxe for $115.00 and it's a great tarp. You can also get a Gear Guide tarp from Sportman's Guide for $30-40 and it also works really well.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    I agree with HC4U, a MacCat is a much better tarp for the money. Since Brian is back from camp and making/shipping tarps, you should be able to get one fairly quickly.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Quote Originally Posted by angrysparrow View Post
    I agree with HC4U, a MacCat is a much better tarp for the money. Since Brian is back from camp and making/shipping tarps, you should be able to get one fairly quickly.
    Yeah, that was my first option. But I've tried getting a return email from Brian for over a year, to no avail............ The asym you have is from Brian, and I tried contacting him twice within weeks after receiving that one to see if I could get a MacCat Deluxe in trade for that, minus of course any fee he saw fit. He never so much as responded. I have tried at least 3 other times since just to put in a order request, even offering to immediately pay and wait for tarp, but never got a reply. I signed up for the newsletter and got a computer generated reply saying he was stocked and in business. Filled out the order form within minutes of receiving notice, but now 3 or 4 days later, no reply. I know he is very busy, and that EVERYBODY wants one, but I just don't want to continue to beg. I'm sure Brian is a nice, cool guy, but I almost started to take it personal, like he didn't want to bother with me after I merely asked if he would consider taking back the completely unused tarp and give me any kind of even partial credit. I even told him I would send it and let him judge whether it had ever been used. Anyway, I'm pretty sure its just a thing where he is swamped and must know alot of people on a first name basis that want one as bad as I. Like I said, at this point I just want a light weight, but big and full coverage tarp to replace the stock one. Tom's is about the same size as a few others I have seen for cheaper, but the weight on most of the one's I have found make them unrealistic. After doing Springer to Damascus earlier this year, I reaffirmed to myself that, while not absolutely the only consideration, weight DOES matter when you are doing any hiking, especially a long distance one.............
    Last edited by mixinmaster; 08-28-2007 at 15:19.

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mixinmaster View Post
    Yeah, that was my first option. But I've tried getting a return email from Brian for over a year, to no avail............ The asym you have is from Brian, and I tried contacting him twice within weeks after receiving that one to see if I could get a MacCat Deluxe in trade for that, minus of course any fee he saw fit. He never so much as responded. I have tried at least 3 other times since just to put in a order request, even offering to immediately pay and wait for tarp, but never got a reply. I signed up for the newsletter and got a computer generated reply saying he was stocked and in business. Filled out the order form within minutes of receiving notice, but now 3 or 4 days later, no reply. I know he is very busy, and that EVERYBODY wants one, but I just don't want to continue to beg. I'm sure Brian is a nice, cool guy, but I almost started to take it personal, like he didn't want to bother with me after I merely asked if he would consider taking back the completely unused tarp and give me any kind of even partial credit. I even told him I would send it and let him judge whether it had ever been used. Anyway, I'm pretty sure its just a thing where he is swamped and must know alot of people on a first name basis that want one as bad as I. Like I said, at this point I just want a light weight, but big and full coverage tarp to replace the stock one. Tom's is about the same size as a few others I have seen for cheaper, but the weight on most of the one's I have found make them unrealistic. After doing Springer to Damascus earlier this year, I reaffirmed to myself that, while not absolutely the only consideration, weight DOES matter when you are doing any hiking, especially a long distance one.............

Asym tarp from Brian? Was that the one he had a limited quantity of on Ebay? If it's the one I am thinking about, and you wanna get rid of it, I may be interested.

I have heard complaints about OES responding to emails before. I know Brian hikes a lot and was busy with school. I'm sure he has a lot of stuff going on and a high demand for his product. I know that won't make you feel any better about not getting responses, but I'm sure it's nothing personal.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Quote Originally Posted by headchange4u View Post
    Asym tarp from Brian? Was that the one he had a limited quantity of on Ebay? If it's the one I am thinking about, and you wanna get rid of it, I may be interested.

I have heard complaints about OES responding to emails before. I know Brian hikes a lot and was busy with school. I'm sure he has a lot of stuff going on and a high demand for his product. I know that won't make you feel any better about not getting responses, but I'm sure it's nothing personal.
    Yeah, the Asym was one Brian put on Ebay, but sorry to say I sold it a few weeks ago to someone here....... I was VERY satisfied with the craftsmanship of it, but after pondering about it realized that it was just too close to the same size as the stock, and not what I was really after......... I really want one to expand my coverage considerably, and the MacCat Deluxe looks perfect......... But Tom's hex, although not the Cat cut, is actually a bit larger . It does weigh in at 19 oz or so, so is naturally heavier, but looks inviting all considered............

Your DIY BlackCat/ MacCat looks GREAT................ Wish I could sew............ Bought a heavy duty sewing machine with good intentions.................. 2 1/2 years ago......... And there it sits. Like the weight machine. And the Cross Country skier. And the Dehydrator........ And the JuiceMan.............
    Last edited by mixinmaster; 08-28-2007 at 16:04.

All is well............. VERY well............ As irony would have it, Brian contacted me just a few moments ago with my invoice for my MacCat, which I immediately met with a Paypal payment to him................. I guess I got a little impatient after receiving word that he was up and selling again............... Talk about supply and demand.............. Reminds me of trying to get a generator after being hit with 3 hurricanes in Florida a couple of years ago............. Only so many to be had, and you had to line up in hopes of getting one................. Thanks to those here that responded to my question about Tom's fly.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mixinmaster View Post
    Reminds me of trying to get a generator after being hit with 3 hurricanes in Florida a couple of years ago............. Only so many to be had, and you had to line up in hopes of getting one................. Thanks to those here that responded to my question about Tom's fly.
    I got one shipped from Colorado to Vero Beach back then (Frances & Jeanne) and it was still cheaper with shipping than buying a new one here. Fun fun!

Don't forget Brian of OES is a member here. Maybe he saw your post and made it right.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    Don't forget Brian of OES is a member here. Maybe he saw your post and made it right.
    I'll bet that's right. His profile shows 'last activity' earlier this evening.

At least you're finally getting the tarp you want, mixinmaster!
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast