Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Need help with Bug Net!

Ok as the title states need help! Here is what I got, I have coming in the mail a Nano 7 Hammock, I have a Zing-it/Lash-It/whatever (got it from Opie so you know it's good) whoopie sling ridgeline too add to it, but I am looking to get/add a bug net to this hammock. Now from what I understand since it is a channeled end hammock sewing on zippers and all (or omni tape) is a real pain, it can be done but not easily because of the channeled end, or am I mistaken? (and I don't sew yet!!!, and I mean yet, but if anyone can help), I am looking to go the lightest route possible and I have searched the threads and the only thing that keep's coming up is something like WBG net, and the like!!! What do you guys/galls like best and why?!
    Also how would you go about attaching/sewing a bug net onto the Nano 7, looking to have something that is completely removable, or like the 2QZQ Mod 4, would you make small triangles or something at the ends with Omni tape so that you disconnect both zippers then the Tape so it is completely removed? How would you sew the triangle on near the channel?
    Thanks for the help HF!!!!!!!

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Just a big chunk of netting draped over the ridgeline. Sew some small pockets on the netting to hold weights, keeps it from flying around. A foot of string tacked to the netting where the ridgeline is all thats needed.
    No mod to your hammock, totally removable. Lightest option, IMO.
    Search "quarterweight" and it'll give some threads that discuss it.
    Plus no zippers or velcro to buy.

Tube or sock style is next. Drawstring channel on ends of netting for cinching it down.
    Make the tube extra big and long, to fit over quilts. Still removable, no mod to hammock, total enclosure provides excellent bug protection. A zipper can be added to the sock, allowing easier entry.

Velcro and netting don't work well in my experience, ymmv. Velcro can snag the netting and cause rips or holes in the net. And the ripping sound of velcro in the middle of the night is LOUD. Sealing up the velcro every time is kind of a hassle too.
    Velcro adds weight. Stitching to your your hammock will void any warrantee.

Zippers can be fussy to attach, cost more, and you'll still be carrying one or two sections of zipper, (if you do a two sided removable zipper) even when the netting is removed.
    Plenty of other netting options out there.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Quote Originally Posted by gargoyle View Post
    Just a big chunk of netting draped over the ridgeline. Sew some small pockets on the netting to hold weights, keeps it from flying around. A foot of string tacked to the netting where the ridgeline is all thats needed.
    No mod to your hammock, totally removable. Lightest option, IMO.
    Search "quarterweight" and it'll give some threads that discuss it.
    Plus no zippers or velcro to buy.

Tube or sock style is next. Drawstring channel on ends of netting for cinching it down.
    Make the tube extra big and long, to fit over quilts. Still removable, no mod to hammock, total enclosure provides excellent bug protection. A zipper can be added to the sock, allowing easier entry.

Velcro and netting don't work well in my experience, ymmv. Velcro can snag the netting and cause rips or holes in the net. And the ripping sound of velcro in the middle of the night is LOUD. Sealing up the velcro every time is kind of a hassle too.
    Velcro adds weight. Stitching to your your hammock will void any warrantee.

Zippers can be fussy to attach, cost more, and you'll still be carrying one or two sections of zipper, (if you do a two sided removable zipper) even when the netting is removed.
    Plenty of other netting options out there.

Yea I had seen the Quarterweight net idea and while I liked it and would no doubt work great, I was looking to lighten the weight by not having all that extra net?! I wasn't looking at Velcro, I was looking at Omni Tape!? Which I thought had all the benefits of Velcro but not the snagging everything in site ordeal?!
    I'm not really worried about the warranty, as this is being bought second hand (from here actually)!!!
    Yea the whole fussy thing with attaching zippers is a worry to me as like I said I don't sew nor have a sewing machine as of yet!! Yet!! I saw Jeff's post on this site about the UL net he made and was going to look at that just not into a tube style like he did!
    Thanks for the post though Gargoyle as it gives me something/alot to think about, which was why I posted!!!

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    CB i have a post with pics of my ver. 2.0 i made comes in a 5.4oz
    it does require sewing ....
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

Quote Originally Posted by greenlespaul View Post
    Really? Thats sweet, I wonder if I read that post? I will take a look, thanks!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by greenlespaul View Post
    Just looked at it, "WOW" very nice job, wonder how I missed this?
    Now for a couple questions-
    1. When you have it deployed do you find that it allows your UQ to fully expand? (as it doesn't compress it when you get in the hammock(down UQ of course)?!)
    2. I wasn't able to zoom in at the channel but the hole that you have where the suspension goes through what did you do there? ie... just left the hole?, velcro or omni tape?
    3. What were/are the dimension's you used?

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    1. When you have it deployed do you find that it allows your UQ to fully expand? (as it doesn't compress it when you get in the hammock(down UQ of course)?!)

no made it so it had plenty of room for the UQ ...so it doesn't compress it at all ....there is a shockcord in the channel around the bottom so it will open up
    all the way if it needs to

2. I wasn't able to zoom in at the channel but the hole that you have where the suspension goes through what did you do there? ie... just left the hole?, velcro or omni tape?

i have nothing but a hole there for this one...if i was to make a new one i would put some grosgrain there to make it look alittle nicer ...it fits just right on the WB Traveler hammock so there is no need for anything to close it up

3. What were/are the dimension's you used?

well...like everything i make it's all in my head ....best thing you can do is find out how long you ridge line will be for the nano ....and add 4inch onto that....
    this way you will have alittle extra just incase....
    then i cut it at an angle so the bottom hole is smaller this way it saves on weight of all the extra netting that you dont need

later on today i will pull it out and get all the numbers for you....
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

Thank's Greenlespaul! This might be the way I go as the weight you listed is pretty darn good!? Appreciate it!!!!!!

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Done 'em both ways...
    The lightest is velcro to the sides of the hammock. Not bad. You get used to it ...'specially when it is buggy. Then you learn how to shut it fast.
    bugnet velcro.jpg
    Second ... full cover ... pull hammock through end holes that velcro and cinch shut. (Minnesota living)
    Horizontal zip on side for egress/entry and "breakfast from the hammock".
    Weighs around 10 to 11 ozs.
    Warbonnet guys is made the same way ... just much, much nicer and weighs 7 ozs.
    bug net full.jpg
    Sh-Bug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    HammockBliss no see um
    Suspension
    home made webbing
    Images
    How does the Quarterweight net do in the wind? do the edges blow up a lot? Or do you just need to put in more pockets and add more weights once it is deployed? any problems with bugs getting in (like ants that run down the tree and onto your hammock)?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast