Hammock
    WB BB
    Tarp
    WB BM
    Insulation
    Yeti

Tarp Cord Lengths? And type.

So I was breaking out the Big Mamajamba (sp?) tarp and realized I needed to attach some [cord/rope/line] to it. For a second, I thought I was going to need to run another ridgeline, but I have been corrected. I re-watched the tarp setup video and understand the methodology to string it up.

What lengths should I make the two end pieces? 20 Feet? Also what about the section that runs from the corners down to stakes?

I have some para-cord, but I understands that stretches and absorbs water badly. I do have some of this Poly-Cord from Lowes.
    http://www.lowes.com/pd_227439-258-0...pe$identifier=

But looking at the specs it rated to 50lbs of force. Not sure that will handle a stiff wind. Am I wrong on that? Can I get away with this until I get some more money for a more appropriate solution.

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    In Lots of areas 10-12 foot should be enough for each end of the tarp, some like more and in some areas you need more, but lots of places 12 foot is more than enough. That would be 24 feet of each end and the length of the tarp as well. 6-8 feet for the tie outs is a good range, and should do even if you want to put the side up with trek poles awing style.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I am using a continual ridgeline for my tarp now but when I go of the ends .. generally 10 to 15 ' depending on area backpacking in.
    Corners ... 3' to 6' ...... again depending. 6' if you want to set up your tarp in porch mode.
    I did some tarp videos .... watch from PART 5 .... tarp stuff.Shug's Tarp and Hammock Jive
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Images
    Would it be possible to use a "whoopie sling" as a tarp line, or does that depend on the weight of the thing supported in order to make it hold?

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Light weight and less bulk is what we are after.
    The poly cord you linked will work fine, but at a weight and bulk disadvantage, IMO.
    Zing-it, from Opie or Paul, is the bomb. A good combination of lightweight, strength, price.
    I used a 30 foot length for my continous ridgeline, added a few continous loops for a prussic style tarp attachment points.
    The continous ridge is nice, set it up, pull the ridge taut, slide prussics out left or right to center tarp over hammock. Attach tarp, re-adjust prussics as needed.

For my side tie outs, I used a buried eye (splice the rope back into itself), lace the eye thru the webbing loops on the sides, and pull the loose end thru the eye. 6 foot lengths used here. On the loose end of the tieouts, I just melted the tails, no knots. When staking, I twist a "marlinspike hitch" into the tie out lines, insert stake, shove stake in the ground. When I remove the stake, slide the rope of the stake, yank the Marlinspike hitch hard and the hitch releases, back to a "no knot" cord.

The loose ends with no knots seem to tangle less, if I do get a birdsnest, they simply pull right thru, since there is nothing to snag on.

I also added a loop of 1/8" shockcord to each side tie out, then looped on my zing it. The little loops of shockcord help keep the tarp tensioned, and reduces flapping in the wind, works great!

A whoopie could be used, but its not the most useful, IMO. The whoopie uses twice the rope compared to a straight length. The adjustability is nice. Once fully tensioned, a whoopie can be stubborn to loosen. In a hammock suspension mode, you relieve the tension on the whoopie, by lifting the hammock side, which allows the buried portion to release its "grip" on the rope.
    With a whoopie as a tarp ridgeline/tensioning device, there is limited slack available to relieve tension, making release more difficult.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

I think Gargoyle put it best!!!
    You can get all you need from Opie or Paul (AHE) for the ridgline and tie out's, I have Opie's stuff and it works great, and I've seen Paul's stuff and it's just as good, just flip a coin to decide!?!?
    Or you could always make your own????

Hammock
    WBBB, Switchback 1.9 SL & 1.9 DL
    Tarp
    BDWD, AE Hard Rock
    Insulation
    Incubator, Burrow
    Suspension
    Webbing & Rings
    Quote Originally Posted by Cranky Bear View Post
    I think Gargoyle put it best!!!
    You can get all you need from Opie or Paul (AHE) for the ridgline and tie out's, I have Opie's stuff and it works great, and I've seen Paul's stuff and it's just as good, just flip a coin to decide!?!?
    Or you could always make your own????
    ..........or you can make your own using Opie's excellent pictorials. Guy Lines, Continuous Loop Prussic or this thread Tarp Ridgelines It will not save you any money if you consider your own time, but it is a lot of fun.

• + New Posts