Tarp
    GG 12x12 modded
    Insulation
    DIY quilts
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FreeTheWeasel View Post
    Would you please explain the pleats? If you are reducing the fabric on the outer shell, aren't you defeating the purpose of the differential cut?

Thanks.

FreeTheWeasel (who is about a year overdue on sewing his third quilt)
    What Adam said!
    the differential cut and pleats are two different things,
    the differential cut as you know makes the outer shell to fit around inner shell so it doesnt compress the down. but if thats all your doing, the quilt is still just two dimensional, it still lays flat,
    the pleats make each peace(the inner and outer shell) three dimensional, it basically gives each piece a bath tub shape. so you have a small bath tub that fits right around you, and then the outer shell that fits loosly around that filled with down goodness. i hope that makes sense, and adam is a genius!

Quote Originally Posted by shevy77 View Post
    Yea, if the color that Dalton is using is the grey green, it doesn't appear to have any green tint.

Dalton,

Have you been happy with your pleats and the tapered shape? I was thinking of doing pleats on the right shoulder half of my quilt at the head end and on the left leg half at the foot end to create an asym. shape for my WBBB. I have not yet decided to go this route. I may make it rectangular or do something like you did to taper the ends.

Shevy77
    yeah there really isnt any green in the gray green, its kind of wierd color, inside it looks darker than outside, haha, in certian light, it has a little, but the momentum is awesome! im not sure if im going to use it for the top quilt yet, i wanted to do a matching set, but i do like coyote...
    and it would match my Black bird.

im not sure how just doing the pleats on the right shoulder and left foot would work. seems like it would give you that asym. shape. you should ask stormcrow for the final attority, but from my limited knowledge, (very limited) that seems like it might work pretty good, but really doing the pleats all the way through works great! if you did half as many pleats, thats that much more fabric you need to squeeze together with the shock cord,
    and i have a black bird and it works fine for me, i wouldnt do it any different, maybe a little wider, but i would definitly do the pleats the same way.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    DIY BlackCat
    Insulation
    Flight Jacket/DIY
    Suspension
    Adjustable Straps
    Images
    Well, I just ordered two more yards of the momentum in coyote. Now, I should have plenty of material to make the size UQ that I am wanting. I guess that this mistake cost me one yard of fabric, but now I can make a two tone quilt and probably have some fabric left over for a small project or two, maybe some down sleeves or a pillow.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by shevy77 View Post
    Well, I just ordered two more yards of the momentum in coyote.
    I have used, and loved, the momentum in the taffeta version. But, the taffeta only comes in black, whereas the ripstop version can be found in colors. Can you compare the feel of the two?

I have found the taffeta silky smooth and I am afraid to try the ripstop as I might be disappointed if I can feel the "ridges."

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    DIY BlackCat
    Insulation
    Flight Jacket/DIY
    Suspension
    Adjustable Straps
    Images
    Can you compare the feel of the two?
    I have not felt the taffeta version, but I really can't feel the ridges from the reinforcement grid in the ripstop version. To me it feels very soft and has a very nice feel to it. The grid is very small compared to normal ripstop.

I would not have a problem having this fabric up against my skin. That being said, I am not sure I will spend the extra money for the momentum (in general) when it comes time to make a topquilt.

I almost saved this fabric for a top quilt due to the feel and was going to purchase a cheaper 1.1 ripstop for the UQ, but I decided the DWR coating would be nice for the UQ to minimize moisture from rain splash.

Hammock
    Hennessy Hyperlight
    Tarp
    Hennessy Poly Hex
    Insulation
    DIY and JRB quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by stormcrow View Post
    The pleating is done to mimic the gathering of a gathered end hammock. By taking the material from the middle of the quilt you are creating that taper that a gathered end hammock has...if that makes any sense. So, the UQ is basically a min hammock with another, slightly larger (longer and wider) mini hammock sewn to it. In between the two mini hammocks......is uncompressed goose down goodness.

That is probably the worst description in history but that was the best I could come up with right now...
    Not the worst description at all! Thanks for clarifying. I've played, off and on, with a way to create the bathtub shape with little success. This explanation helps point out the errors in my previous attempts.

FreeTheWeasel

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    As a rule of thumb I use 1 inch more on the outer layer for every baffle. So for every 6 inches ont eh inside I use 7 inches so that is add 1 inch for every baffle. Then the end baffles need sides that are equal to the baffle height. So taht right there would use 6 inches for a quilt that is 3" high. I'm afraid you need more material. 2 tone quilts are nice though.
    Sorry to dig up an old thread but the topic is relevant to my question.

Dutch and Dalton, when sewing closed the ends of the baffles, how do you reconcile the different widths between the inner and outer layers? For example a 7-baffle design with 2in baffle heights would produce an excess of 11 inches. Can you increase the starting widths of the outer pleats to compensate and still maintain a bathtub shape?

Hammock
    Hennessy Hyperlight
    Tarp
    Hennessy Poly Hex
    Insulation
    DIY and JRB quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Village View Post

Dutch and Dalton, when sewing closed the ends of the baffles, how do you reconcile the different widths between the inner and outer layers? For example a 7-baffle design with 2in baffle heights would produce an excess of 11 inches. Can you increase the starting widths of the outer pleats to compensate and still maintain a bathtub shape?
    Excelent timing. I am sewing the inner shell currently and contemplating this very question. I'll play with this tonight and report back. It seems as though making too large a pleat on the outer shell might defeat the whole point of the differential cut.

FreeTheWeasel

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    OES Sil MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY Karo TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Excelent timing. I am sewing the inner shell currently and contemplating this very question. I'll play with this tonight and report back. It seems as though making too large a pleat on the outer shell might defeat the whole point of the differential cut.

FreeTheWeasel
    I'm wondering this myself... Also, how did you lay out your pleats?

Hammock
    DIY,Speer,Tbird, JRB
    Tarp
    HG CF, MacCat, GG
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Speer,UGQ
    Suspension
    numerous, seasonal
    Images
    I also have wondered about this.

I Hope a good answer comes along.

I will start on another summer quilt as soon as the first snow falls
    Life's A Journey
    It's not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body,
    But rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting,
    Woo Hoo!....What a Ride!

My PHOTOS

My VIDEOS

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Village View Post

FreeTheWeasel
    Quote Originally Posted by entropy View Post
    I'm wondering this myself... Also, how did you lay out your pleats?
    Quote Originally Posted by TZBrown View Post
    I also have wondered about this.

I Hope a good answer comes along.

I will start on another summer quilt as soon as the first snow falls
    If you simply put a pleat on the outer layer to compensate for the differential baffle then you should have a flat quilt that will not compress when tight to the hammock. Now to get the bathtub shape I put pleats on both top and bottom with the inside pleat being very small like 3/8th" and the outside would probably be 1 3/8ths I never pleated the sides yet but I wanna try soon for the complete bathtub shape. In both examples try to line up the baffles on the top and bottom so it works out evenly. Doing all these pleats a pain but worth it in the end.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast