Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    My approach exactly, amac. Never on the trail, and careful in camp.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    I just read on the thru-hiker.com forums and it looks like the Whitney is 1.5" single layer loft in the torso. Still pretty cheap and light compared to the Torre, but not 3.5" as listed on the Whitney Kit page.

I'll only do the halfbag if I can get a jacket baffled to 2" or so...which I can't find. These are Colorado winters!
    What about a layer or two of IX added to the inside of the outer shell of that Whitney? Hmmmm.

EDIT: Actually, sorry, a bit of a hijack by me. The subject is No Sniveler replacing down jacket, so.....
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 05-05-2010 at 09:24.

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    What about a layer or two of IX added to the inside of the outer shell of that Whitney? Hmmmm.
    More references to the magic of IX. I'd love to hear some field reports after a few months of use. Right now it seems to be applied to everything. It will be nice to see it shake out a bit.

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    I don't use it often around camp but darn glad when i have. I usually can get by with just my rain gear. But I never bring my fleece anymore unless it is really going to get cold. I always have the NS as a backup. Only time it is inconvienent is when I stop for lunch. I'm not gong to break out my quilt for that. But that just means I start trekking again.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    I don't use it often around camp but darn glad when i have. I usually can get by with just my rain gear. But I never bring my fleece anymore unless it is really going to get cold. I always have the NS as a backup. Only time it is inconvienent is when I stop for lunch. I'm not gong to break out my quilt for that. But that just means I start trekking again.
    I hear that. You run out of space to have items easily accessible in your pack. First aid, rain gear, trail snacks..SOMETHING has to go at the bottom of the pack.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wisenber View Post
    More references to the magic of IX. I'd love to hear some field reports after a few months of use. Right now it seems to be applied to everything. It will be nice to see it shake out a bit.
    Still definitely (yet) to be determined for me. Useful for the weight, I really think so. The question is how useful, especially considering the air gap that is apparently required. But, since it only weighs .4 oz/sq yard, and has some unknown amount of insulation and wind/water resistance, the occasional layer used to boost a No Sniveler or down jacket may grow in popularity. Or even use by itself.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    Custom OES BatCave
    Insulation
    JRB quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Not having worn a wearable quilt from the jacks I keep asking myself if the omni tape on my neck would not dive me crazy. Any comments on this?
    Furthermore, what are you all using to insulate your arms? I see the quilt only covers partway down your arms.

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roadtorque View Post
    Not having worn a wearable quilt from the jacks I keep asking myself if the omni tape on my neck would not dive me crazy. Any comments on this?
    Furthermore, what are you all using to insulate your arms? I see the quilt only covers partway down your arms.
    A neck gaiter or some sort of collar will fix the omni tape issue if it bugs you.
    JRB sells down sleeves and hoods as well if you think that you'll need them. The sleeves make a good foot warmer or pillow in your hammock as well. The hood will boost your sleeping warmth quite a bit. That being said, I don't have the sleeves or hood. I do have a BPL hood though.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wisenber View Post
    I hear that. You run out of space to have items easily accessible in your pack. First aid, rain gear, trail snacks..SOMETHING has to go at the bottom of the pack.
    And there be the glory of the MMP, eh mate? A No Sniv strapped on in it's own little stuff sack, available for quick deployment as a jacket to be used at lunch break. Or at least stuffed at the top of whatever (dry?) sack is used for down items. Never done it, but it seems reasonable.

I have always been very intrigued by the wearable Top quilt approach, leaving a jacket behind. But I take an alternative approach, because I already used this approach before I knew about No Snivs and such. What I have always done is take light weight hooded puffy jacket and pants, for sitting around camp. Then I take a lighter quilt, and wear the jacket and pants to bed. So you can use your quilt as your jacket. Or, you can use your jacket/pants as part of your quilt.

A perfect example of the above was me using a PeaPod into the 20s without any additional TQ. Even though the hammock caused some gap on top, my jacket and vest draped over me did the job.

I suspect the wearable quilt might be a slightly lighter approach, but hard to say for sure. And then there is the "sleep naked(or nearly so)" group. Layering (worn)clothing in the quilt might not work for them.

Hammock
    WarBonnet BB 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe Spin
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniv + Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoppie Slingin'
    In 0F i've been comfy sleeping in a thermawrap, icbreaker 260's top and bottom, and a no sniv top and bottom with balaclava and gloves. HIking in this temp i am fine with a thermawrap, baselayers, and balaclava and gloves. sitting in camp i just layer my no sniv over my thermawrap. WHat hte no sniv really needs is draw string closures on the sleeve, much of the heat esacapes through the massive sleeve gaps. I amgonna solve this problem tonight.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast