Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    HH Ultralight Backpacker
    Insulation
    Nest & Sniveller
    Suspension
    Whoopies & E trunk

JRB No Sniveller

Does anybody have a JRB No Sniveller, and have they every worn it in place of a down jacket? I'm thinking a top quilt that can double as a down jacket saves weight and money, but is it practical? How comfortable and durable is it for sitting around camp? Is it better to just buy a top quilt and a Montbell UL down liner?

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    Been there, done that. I'd advise getting an over-sized rain jacket to keep in place. Dri Ducks or Frogg Toggs seem to be popular.

Sitting around camp works great. You just need to roll up the lower part to keep it clean. It might bee TOO warm for moving unless it was below zero as it is quite warm.

Hammock
    WarBonnet BB 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe Spin
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniv + Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoppie Slingin'
    It is comfortable and durable. But you should always wear a shell over it if your not in camp. A shell could be a packa, a frogg toggs jacket, a dri ducks poncho, a patagonia houdini, or any kind of waterproof shell-the houdini is not waterproof. You need to protect it from briars and limbs. IT definately saves weight in the winter. A proper down jacket could be 11-13oz.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    This question comes up every so often...search the forums and you'll find several threads on it. I take my NS on almost every trip and wear it when I need to. I only take a jacket on winter trips, and then not every time. I've used it as my only insulation at about 15F before...works fine, it's just not a fitted jacket. But it's great for saving weight and space.

Here are some pics:
    http://www.tothewoods.net/JRB.html
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ikemouser View Post
    It is comfortable and durable. But you should always wear a shell over it if your not in camp. A shell could be a packa, a frogg toggs jacket, a dri ducks poncho, a patagonia houdini, or any kind of waterproof shell-the houdini is not waterproof. You need to protect it from briars and limbs. IT definately saves weight in the winter. A proper down jacket could be 11-13oz.
    11-13 oz? Heck, my NF Nuptse is closer to 26 oz. Then again, my Nupste will keep me toasty at -20 ° F.
    I'd not hesitate to us a NS as my camp warmer down to 10 F or so. As Jeff mentioned, it is not fitted, but it makes up for it with volume.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I was looking at serious down jackets to use for my main winter sleep system. The best I could find was the Nunatak Torre for 26oz and $619...and it's only baffled to 1.5". The NS is thicker and much cheaper...and probably warmer once you pile up all the insulation inside your jacket.

As long as you're not being active, it's a great deal. I wouldn't want to belay someone wearing a NS, though.

Then I found the Whitney Down Jacket kit from thru-hiker.com for $115...it's ~11 oz and 3.5" of loft thru the torso. I'm really considering making one and taking a half-bag for my legs during the winter.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    I was looking at serious down jackets to use for my main winter sleep system. The best I could find was the Nunatak Torre for 26oz and $619...and it's only baffled to 1.5". The NS is thicker and much cheaper...and probably warmer once you pile up all the insulation inside your jacket.

As long as you're not being active, it's a great deal. I wouldn't want to belay someone wearing a NS, though.

Then I found the Whitney Down Jacket kit from thru-hiker.com for $115...it's ~11 oz and 3.5" of loft thru the torso. I'm really considering making one and taking a half-bag for my legs during the winter.
    The Nupste is not in the same class as the Nunatek, but they weigh about the same while the Nuptse can be had for under $200. Granted, a lot of NF gear is now trendy and made like crap, but the Nuptse does have 700+ fill.

You're a braver man than me with a half bag. Then again, I like to use my Peapod as a "starting point" when it looks to be below zero. I use the NS as a top blanket with my Peapod to give me darned close to 5" of loft on top.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I just read on the thru-hiker.com forums and it looks like the Whitney is 1.5" single layer loft in the torso. Still pretty cheap and light compared to the Torre, but not 3.5" as listed on the Whitney Kit page.

I'll only do the halfbag if I can get a jacket baffled to 2" or so...which I can't find. These are Colorado winters!

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    I just read on the thru-hiker.com forums and it looks like the Whitney is 1.5" single layer loft in the torso. Still pretty cheap and light compared to the Torre, but not 3.5" as listed on the Whitney Kit page.

I'll only do the halfbag if I can get a jacket baffled to 2" or so...which I can't find. These are Colorado winters!
    You could go with the Rocky Mountain Sniveler. I've already got an Old Rag Mountain, so it would be tough to justify it. Looking at my burgeoning gear closet makes it hard to justify a tea candle at this point though.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0
    Tarp
    Zpack's H. Tarp
    Insulation
    Summer Crowsnest
    Suspension
    ring buckles
    I have the No Sniv. On a trip to the Whites, last year, it got much colder and windier in the evening than was forecast. I threw on my No Sniv as a camp jacket and it was GREAT. I wouldn't plan to wear it while hiking on the trail for two reasons: 1) paranoid about branches tearing it, 2) am a stickler for keeping my sleep system dry. If conditions are forecast to require a warm jacket, I would bring one. However, I wouldn't hesitate on wearing the No Sniv on the trail in unexpected conditions.
    "Every minute outside ... is a good minute!" -> Calvin & Hobbes, 8/1/1993

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast