Hammock
    DD Traveler + GT UL
    Tarp
    DD+HH sil UL
    Insulation
    DD UQ + CCF pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    When I got into hammock camping, I couldn't tie many knots. Looking back, it's amazing I got by with basically nothing but overhand knots for almost a year of camping (at least once a month!).

I went from Eno Slap-Straps to whoopie slings. Had to learn the Marlin Spike hitch so I could set toggles, watched Shug's video a couple times and tried it once.. bingo.

I figured the easiest way to set the 1st end my ridgeline would be with a mini-carabiner (from the HF store). Looked around online for the right knot, a bowline seemed best. This one took a little longer to master than the Marlin Spike hitch but I don't think I'll ever forget it now. Once you've got it tied, there's really no need to tie it again anyways.

A buddy mentioned he used a trucker's hitch for the other end of the ridgeline. This one took some learning too, but I'm glad I've got it down. To be honest, this is one really useful knot, I wish I'd learned it many years ago.

I secure my tarp tie-outs using bowlines (which I learned for the ridgeline anyways) and tie them to the stakes using Marlin Spike hitches (which I learned for the toggles).

For tensioning the tarp on the ridgeline and stake tie-outs, I use prusiks, so there's one more knot. Got the hang of it from youtube.

I count four knots total (marlin spike, bowline, trucker's hitch, and prusik) but if that's seems like too many, I hear ya. I felt the same way when I got started. The folks that make the gadgets you can buy to avoid learning various knots can use the money!

Hammock
    DIY DL Channel end Sewn Poly
    Tarp
    Walwrld sq,B/R.non
    Insulation
    Cman S/B alteredUQ
    Suspension
    strpwks/rope/rings
    As dumb as it may sound, it took what seemed like forever for me to be able to tie the double-fishermans knot correctly. Looks simple enough, but somehow I kept messing it up. Same thing goes for the taughtline hitch. I don't know how many times I had to go back to the website with the animated knots to keep reminding myself. Makes me feel stupid, but thats part of the learning process.

Hammock
    Warbonnets!
    Tarp
    OES, WB
    Insulation
    Crowsnest, Leighs
    Suspension
    Webbing & Buckles
    I have them on my Maccat. So far I like them alot. I was in some decent winds a few weeks back and they didn't slip.
    It's only an addiction if you're trying to quit

Hammock
    HH-HBPA,2QZQ-Mod2L
    Tarp
    MacCat Dlx Spinn
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 & TiGoat
    Suspension
    DIY 7/64" UCR's
    Images

Thumbs up Good Stuff!

I use the Micros on my Nano 7 DynaGlide suspension. I use a 7" bury for these UCR's and have a Micro larked onto the tail to keep tension on the bury under load. Line-Loks slide a bit under higher tension on Dyna-Glide, but with them only as my backup it has never been an issue.

Micro's have also been built into my Dynaglise STL Tarp Tie-Outs. Works great.

I have a set of Micros on my continuous tarp ridgeline set as well. Each ring on my tarp has a tail of DG about 6" long. (1) Hang ridge line, (2) thread tarp DG "tail" through the micros already on the ridgeline, (3) stretch out and lock, (4) Stake out and cook. Quick, easy and works well.

+3 from me.
    H4x
    SM TR49, SR-875 "A boy learns integrity through his eyes, ears and hands."

"You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no telling where you might be swept off to." Bilbo Baggins, as quoted by Frodo The Fellowship of the Ring

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Clam Cleat, makers of Line Loks, have been testing some of their cleats for use in hammock suspension. I have been chatting back and forth with a couple of the people at Clam Cleat. I have some samples in transit to me right now that I will test out.

The weight specs on the clips are okay, but they have not been tested with some of the smaller diameter Amsteel that a lot of people use in their hammock suspensions. The guys Clam Cleat are currently reading through several forum links I sent them where our resident mathletes show off their stuff. If the tests go well I will be stocking the cleats for suspension in the Hammock Forum store.

More Info (PDF file)

CL276

CL826
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12