Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Any reviews of the mini Line Locks in the store?

I'm just getting into this, and I honestly don't understand the desire to use a ton of fancy knots and such. Maybe it's just the fun of learning a new way of doing things without hardware? Or saving some grams in weight?

I have 100' of 7/64" Amsteel Blue on the way.

The Mini Line Locks in the HF store look promising. I'm not sure if an ounce is worth the time and trouble these could save. Thanks for the input.

Also, can I use hardware like this to tie hammock supports, or are they just for guylines?

Thanks
    Last edited by JaynBoom; 05-05-2010 at 16:44.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    I wouldn't use those for hammock suspensions. Most folks are not even comfortable using the super big figure 9's for their suspension. You might be able to get away with holding a 3mm amsteel blue or something like that but I wouldn't trust the ability to contain the forces exerted on the ropes. Weightwise the ropes would hold it but I would not trust the widgets.

I use a ring buckle system. There are any number of alternatives to the knots. Search the suspension forum and you'll more material than you can read in one sitting.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    DIY Pertex
    Tarp
    DIY with doors on
    Insulation
    Down and synthetic
    Suspension
    Whoopies & hooks
    Ive been using these for over a year with 1.5mm dyneema core.

IMO, well worth the money and weight.

They take a lot of hassle out of tensioning the tarp.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by turnerminator View Post
    They take a lot of hassle out of tensioning the tarp.
    I tried them for tarps and especially on the ridgeline I got very tired of them very quickly. There is always a loop in the line. I tend to wrap things around supports rather than slip them over. When I did use them to go to the stakes the line was never adjustable to the degree that I liked it. Some folks really like them for tarps and guy lines. I prefer the figure 9's but that just me.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JaynBoom View Post
    I'm just getting into this, and I honestly don't understand the desire to use a ton of fancy knots and such. Maybe it's just the fun of learning a new way of doing things without hardware? Or saving some grams in weight?

I have 100' of 7/64" Amsteel Blue on the way.

The Mini Line Locks in the HF store look promising. I'm not sure if an ounce is worth the time and trouble these could save. Thanks for the input.

Also, can I use hardware like this to tie hammock supports, or are they just for guylines?

Thanks
    Danger Will Robinson! Definitely not for hammocks suspension. Decent product for tarp guylines but the 7/64 amsteel is overkill for that application.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    I bought a bunch used them once and decided they were very effective but not quite what I was looking for. I ended up winning STL's (self tensioning lines for tarp) from JRB at the Spring MAHA and man those things are awesome. I know buying the STL's are a bit more expensive then the cord locks but makeing them your self is very easy espcially if you already have the cord, they are well worth it. If I would of not of won the STL's I would still probally be useing the cord locks. So to answer your question as Knotty said DANGER do not use them in a suspension system but they are effective useing them to tension a tarp ridgeline or guy lines. IMHO
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm reading a bunch, and trying to limit questions that have been answered elswhere.

Roy

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird/Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/Lynx
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    I prefer the figure 9's but that just me.
    I do too, big time. My figure 9's are permanently attached to my MSR ground hog stakes, and the guylines stay attached to the tarp - attaching the guylines is a simple matter of pushing the stake in, grabbing the line, and pulling it tight in the figure 9. Very quick and simple.

Hammock
    WB BB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    MacCat Dlx SpinnUL
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I use the mini line locs for tarp pull outs with Speer No-Tangle. That works fine, but I wouldn't use any line smaller than that. On my SpinnUL MacCat tarp, I don't have any other tension adjustment...not really needed since SpinnUL doesn't stretch.

I would review them as OK, but not significantly better than other tarp guyline options...including just a plain slipped half hitch or other variants. The linelocs are lighter than Figure 9s, but none of the choices are really heavy.

I'm "thinking" of an experiment with Ladder Line Locs, but the only available size of those is bigger than optimal for Speer No-Tangle or equivalent size line.
    "The more I carry the happier I am in camp; the less I carry the happier I am getting there" - Sgt. Rock

Hammock
    WB Blackbird & Traveler
    Tarp
    MC SpinntexDeLux
    Insulation
    MW3,Yeti,HGsb,UL90
    Suspension
    WS
    Images

Thumbs up use them and like them

Used on tarp only. Spinn tarp, no need for stls. I attach them in a different manner than noted on the guidelines included with the 1st set I purchased. Allows for using the full length of the guylines down to a very short minimal length. Have had no failure or jamming issues yet. Quick and easy to set up, adjust and take down the tarp even under freezing sleet conditions. Have held up to winds gusting +30mph.
    Noel V.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast