Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Gargoyle: I am sure that I will be able to "find" the holes in precisely the spots I need them.

Hammock
    BMBH, GT single para
    Tarp
    WB mamajamba
    Insulation
    walmart 40f bag UQ
    Suspension
    whoopie>togg>strap
    Images
    im pretty sure 150 lbs is waaay under the force thats going to be exerted on those bad boys, please be careful, maybe even wear a helmet

Quote Originally Posted by thekalimist View Post
    im pretty sure 150 lbs is waaay under the force thats going to be exerted on those bad boys, please be careful, maybe even wear a helmet
    Actually, if the sag is 30 degrees, the tension will be EXACTLY 150 pounds on each line. As the sag approaches zero, the tension will rise to infinity. The tension on each line is roughly half the load weight divided by the sine of the angle of dangle.

If you were on a swing, with the sag angle of 90 degrees, the tension on each line would be 75 pounds.

The OP can probably get by, but only if he keeps his sag to about thirty degrees or more.

Just to be sure: when loaded the hammock support lines should make a 30* angle below the horizontal, and this should be in line with the supports which are drilled in at 30*. Right?

So I basically need to make sure when I'm setting up the hammock that I stick fairly close to this angle.

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    I would mimmick a test hang, just tie some webbing/rope up to the rafters. hang your your hammock and see where your at, adjust accordingly.
    Then when things are good and your comfortable with the sag and hieght of the hammock, mark the locations and drill.

30 degrees is a guideline, not a hard and fast rule, you can be off, a little, and still be okay.

Me, personally, I wouldn't drill at all (especially being a rental). If your rafters are exposed, I would just hang from those.
    If you have to drill into the wall studs, I would just drill a straight hole into the stud. But drilling at 30 degrees can work, too. Again, predetermine your location by test hanging, then drill and install hooks or bolts.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

I had considered hangin' in my garage but the hike in is just not that interesting. Also, I'm afraid that my wife would wait until I was good and asleep and then start the car...

Hammock
    Wbbb 1.1dbl.- Traveler multicam 1.9
    Tarp
    H.G. Cuben camo
    Insulation
    Phinc-burrow- H.R.
    I just started hangin in the garage, looped over the rafters.. Still working on the most comfortable setup, but works very well.. My cats are very jealous, and glare at me through the window.. Probably come home one day to see they took it over..
    Bad enough they took my lazy boy...

How far apart (or how many feet would I have to be from each end of the hammock) should the rafters be if I wanted to hang right from them?

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Midway View Post
    I had considered hangin' in my garage but the hike in is just not that interesting....
    Got me laughing on that one!

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Quote Originally Posted by booone0 View Post
    How far apart (or how many feet would I have to be from each end of the hammock) should the rafters be if I wanted to hang right from them?
    That all depends on the height of the joists above the floor.

It's all theoretical, anyway, and you're going to end up trying as many different lashups as it takes to get comfy, which may not conform to the advice you're getting here. Tinker, learn, take pics, and let us know how you did.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12