Hammock
    WBBB 1.1SL/UKHamm
    Tarp
    HG Cuben 4S/CamoSF
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WhoopieDutchness
    Maybe add a short length of shock cord to your guyline tie outs, takes a bit of stress off the stitching then.

The tarp should be fine but you'll probably get bounced in the hammock as the trees sway

Hammock
    Argon X90 Experimental hammock
    Tarp
    7'x9' cuben tarp
    Insulation
    Pads and quilts
    Suspension
    Kevlar + dynaglide
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Off-road View Post
    I'm leaving in the morning for a couple of days of backpacking and upon reviewing the weather forecast i see 40mph winds tomorrow night.

I know to check for widow makers and perhaps hang on large diameter trees to limit sway but was wondering about my silnylon tarp.

If the skies are clear should i skip it? or can it handle it?
    Any advice would be appreciated.
    Spend a few days in a HH hanging in a Tropical Storm down in Louisianan once. It did just fine. Hang low to the ground and check your stakes.
    NO SNIVELING!
    www.hikinghq.net - Hiking H.Q.
    www.bmtguide.com - the BMT Thru Hiker's Guide

I did the same a sgt rock on the big island of Hawaii in waimanu. Heavy tropical storm winds in the winter with rain. My HH with asym tarp pitched low to the ground kept me mostly dry and protected me from the wind broadside. At times the gusts blew the tarp into my hammock and it was annoying. Guy out lines in this situation would of been wonderful.

Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    I am not a Hennessey fan, however the heaviest storm I have Hung through was in a HH with a stock HH tarp. Very high winds, right on a cliff over the Pacific, heavy rain from every direction.
    Lucky for me I had finally learned to pitch my rainfly so I was able to stay dry (for a change).
    I just absolutely loved the ride. I guess.I was too new to be fearful, I expected my gear to be reliable. Up, down, forward, backward, side to.side. It was just great, made me feel at one with the environment. I never considered the consequences of my suspension snapping or being damaged. I was just very happy to be warm, dry and swinging.
    Taking the pull outs is always a good idea, I use them frequently.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20 deg UQ, TQ
    Suspension
    webbing
    I pitch the tarp low to the ground and have doors on my tarp which I close. I also use my guy lines so the tarp doesn't flatten into my face, but do try to align with the wind to reduce that effect. I like the sound of the wind and a slight sway.

Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    I really don't want to rain on your parade, literally. Some sound suggestions have been proffered, but there are some conditions that hammocks do not excel in and windy conditions are one of them. I know there are those who would staunchly advocate hammocks for polar or alpine expeditions, but I'm not one of them. I would much rather spend a night being buffeted by the wind in a solid tent or ground pitched tarp, e.g. zpacks duplex, golite hex3, hilleberg soulo, or DIY tarp setup, and etc. I had some sleepless nights wondering if my tarp would survive or be there in the morning. The tarp made it (with some abrasions), but they simply were not enjoyable nights. I have also spent a night when the rain didn't luckily hold off,as some mentioned dodging the proverbial bullet (note to moderator this is not a reference to firearms) and huddled in the hammock with a tarp held over me by my arms and feet while the wind blew the rain under the fair weather hex tarp.

Having said that, I know there is the irresistible challenge of grappling with the elements and making the hammock system work. If this is in your bones too, I would suggest not pitching broadside to the wind, but foot end to the wind. Find natural blockage as Shug suggested. Button down the doors if you have them. Or make pseudo doors with a extra small tarp or space blanket. Pitch as low as feasible. Utilize some shock cord to ease the strain on the guys. Back up the stakes with some strategically placed large rocks or logs. hang your pack, without food or toiletries, at the foot end to absorb the wind. Hang on and enjoy. Oh, and finally, pitch immediately leeward of your buddies

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12