WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    In an effort to stick with this thread's theme and still get my questions answered; you said the netting has more to do with the Asym shape than the cut or whipping. Granted, I haven't read all 199 posts in the Clone thread, but how would I determine the shape of the netting without taking apart my HH?

I'm thinking, build the hammock then hang it. Then temporarily attach the netting to one side, drape it over, make my marks on the netting, and then cut to size. Is that a good way to do it, or am I missing something?
    I made a hammock based on this design as well, and have to admit that measuring the netting was the hardest part for me. I ended up just "winging it", cutting netting to fit as needed much more than I wanted to. I got in over my head, but the result turned out ok.

I measured from one end to the other, then the max width, then took measurements from where the tie-out points would be (asym). Then tried to cut the netting to conform to all of that. Then I draped over the hammock, made marks, sewed the velcro to the proper mesh shape, and went back again and nipped and cut until it fit better, then sewed the velcro on again, draped it over the hammock again, etc. There's GOT to be a much more logical way to do this. (I'm not a logical thinker, apparently).

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by schrochem View Post
    how many 'rolls' did you actually end up with?

So you just used the roll whip and added pullouts huh?
    Wow. I wonder if there is any advantage to a slightly different cut.
    I might just go buy some more cheap fabric......
    Thanks fellas for the info.
    I think I used 10 on each side, but I cannot remember for sure.

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by schrochem View Post
    how many 'rolls' did you actually end up with?

I think I ended up with 6-7 per side.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    Custom 1.7/1.1 WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    DIY SWT
    Insulation
    JRB Nest & DIY RMS
    Suspension
    Whoopee Slings
    Images
    Determining the shape of the netting is not nearly as difficult as most think. Basic hammock has to be made first.
    Here's how I determined the dimensions.
    1. Decide where to put the side tie outs. I did this by using my JRB underquilt layed over or under the hammock material flat on the ground.
    2. Finish hemming the hammock bed, whip the ends, hang it and determine the length of ridge line you are comfortable with.
    3. Now it's just a matter of simple triangles. Netting ridgeline distance the length of ridgeline where it comes out of the whipping or out from under any hammock material if you sewed the ends together like in the tutorial.
    4. Measure from that same point down each side to side tie outs for the other sides.
    5. You now have the length of all three sides of triangle for each side of the hammock.
    6. I used a piece of WalMart dollar material that I could write on with a pen or marker to make a pattern.
    7. Draw the ridgeline on the pattern.
    8. Use a piece of string, wire, board or whatever you can marked the same lengths as the other 2 side dimensions. Lay each of these measurement on the pattern at the ends of the ridgeline length and adjust them until their respective lengths intersect.
    9. Do the same for the other side of the netting making sure to mark for the asym shape.
    10. Allow about an extra inch all the way around for hemming of the netting.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Stoikurt
    "Work to Live...Don't Live to Work!"

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by stoikurt View Post
    Determining the shape of the netting is not nearly as difficult as most think. Basic hammock has to be made first.
    Here's how I determined the dimensions.
    1. Decide where to put the side tie outs. I did this by using my JRB underquilt layed over or under the hammock material flat on the ground.
    2. Finish hemming the hammock bed, whip the ends, hang it and determine the length of ridge line you are comfortable with.
    3. Now it's just a matter of simple triangles. Netting ridgeline distance the length of ridgeline where it comes out of the whipping or out from under any hammock material if you sewed the ends together like in the tutorial.
    4. Measure from that same point down each side to side tie outs for the other sides.
    5. You now have the length of all three sides of triangle for each side of the hammock.
    6. I used a piece of WalMart dollar material that I could write on with a pen or marker to make a pattern.
    7. Draw the ridgeline on the pattern.
    8. Use a piece of string, wire, board or whatever you can marked the same lengths as the other 2 side dimensions. Lay each of these measurement on the pattern at the ends of the ridgeline length and adjust them until their respective lengths intersect.
    9. Do the same for the other side of the netting making sure to mark for the asym shape.
    10. Allow about an extra inch all the way around for hemming of the netting.

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/a...1&d=1188587492

See, I knew there was a logical way to approach it, I just had no idea what I was doing... and none of this occured to me until I got stuck at that point in the construction. Of course, it was my first diy hammock...

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12