Hammock
    Hennessy Ultralite Backpacker
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Suspension
    Whoopiesling

UQ Necessary?

Hey all,

I've been debating whether or not to invest in an underquilt. I'm living in Guam so I'm dealing with tropical temps year-round. My question is whether an underquilt is something that will be overkill out here? I'm going on a backpacking trip in about seven days and will be able to test it without one, but being that shipping is a little bit of a wait here, if I need one I would rather order it now so I can get it a bit quicker! I've read that many people use one year-round and adjust it as needed for temps, but was just hoping for some input. Thanks!

-VagrantSalt

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    What's the lowest overnight temps you see?
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Suspension
    Whoopiesling
    Quote Originally Posted by MacEntyre View Post
    What's the lowest overnight temps you see?
    Lowest I've seen is around 75.

Oak Ridge & Linville Gorge, North Carolina
    Hammock
    HHE, 2QZQ Mod4, Jerry 5 DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Images
    I could go without an UQ at those tempts but some couldn't ... guess it just depends ... only one way to find out really. Find a couple trees ...

WARNING: Will discuss Rhurbarb Strawberry Pie and Livermush at random.

"A democracy is two wolves and a small lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." ... B.Franklin

Home of the Gorge Rats: Linville Gorge
    My Videos YouTube Channel
    Photo collections Flickr Photostream

Gorge Rat Productions On FaceBook

Hammock
    BIAS WW Dbl 1.1
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/doors
    Insulation
    UGO 40* Zepplin
    Suspension
    Cinch bugs/straps
    Images
    If your hammock has a pad pocket a ccf pad will work, I used those for a while until JRB came out with the original Nest. Here in the Deep South, I usually use a UQ that is an old
    synthetic Speer Top Blanket that I modified to fit gathered end hammocks. Since it's so muggy over there, you might check out the KAQ's that Paul sells.

If you have access to the Neat Sheet type of blanket, you might look at that as well. My Nephew is stationed in Guam right now and they love it with the exception of the bugs, which he says are really BIG. I'd have to have attached netting just for that reason alone!

Sweeper
    Hiking & Hanging is therapy, and much cheaper than medication in the long run. Carry on.

Proud Member of the "Corps of Insanity" Hiking Group, 2000-2015. Semper Gumby!

At 75dF you do not need an UQ.

A CCF pad is not necessary either but it might be nice to sit on while hiking.

If you do need something during a 65dF cold snap just use a garlington taco bottom
    made of a driducks poncho, 2 garbage bags and a couple of space blankets.

I just spent a night in 14dF weather with CCF pads and a garlington under with a ultra 20 and was plenty warm.

Hammock
    BIAS WW Dbl 1.1
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/doors
    Insulation
    UGO 40* Zepplin
    Suspension
    Cinch bugs/straps
    Images
    Tammons offers some good advice. I will add that one summer 6 years ago I did an overnighter here in N Ga during late July when the temps during the day were around 100 and it was barely getting down to 80 at night. I didn't take a bit of any kind of under insulation with me, only a silk bag liner and an emergency blanket. Naturally, we had a monster of a severe storm that afternoon, and the temps at about 3500' dropped into the upper 50's that night. Coldest night I have ever spent. If I had had a ground cloth and a pad, I would have gone to ground and used my HH as a bivy. After that experience, I always carry some sort of poncho/garbage bags as Tammons mentions above.

Sweeper
    Hiking & Hanging is therapy, and much cheaper than medication in the long run. Carry on.

Proud Member of the "Corps of Insanity" Hiking Group, 2000-2015. Semper Gumby!

Everyone is different! I'd say go out and hang overnight a couple time's with different low temp's and see what "YOU" need! Yes some people in the temp ranges you mention don't use anything under them, but a lot do, it's a very personal thing as is the same with all backpacking gear! So like I said the best advise "I" can give you is get out for a few overnighter's that the low's are different each time and see how you feel!

Hammock
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Suspension
    Whoopiesling
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk-eye View Post
    I could go without an UQ at those tempts but some couldn't ... guess it just depends ... only one way to find out really. Find a couple trees ...
    True, everyone is a little different. That is my plan though...getting out there in about a week

Quote Originally Posted by tammons View Post
    At 75dF you do not need an UQ.

A CCF pad is not necessary either but it might be nice to sit on while hiking.

If you do need something during a 65dF cold snap just use a garlington taco bottom
    made of a driducks poncho, 2 garbage bags and a couple of space blankets.

I just spent a night in 14dF weather with CCF pads and a garlington under with a ultra 20 and was plenty warm.
    The CCF pad would definetly be nice as a sit pad if nothing else. I like the garlington taco idea...seems like it would be lightweight too! We have a lot of rainshowers on the island so I definetly want to carry something for a chance temp drop.

Quote Originally Posted by Sweeper View Post
    Tammons offers some good advice. I will add that one summer 6 years ago I did an overnighter here in N Ga during late July when the temps during the day were around 100 and it was barely getting down to 80 at night. I didn't take a bit of any kind of under insulation with me, only a silk bag liner and an emergency blanket. Naturally, we had a monster of a severe storm that afternoon, and the temps at about 3500' dropped into the upper 50's that night. Coldest night I have ever spent. If I had had a ground cloth and a pad, I would have gone to ground and used my HH as a bivy. After that experience, I always carry some sort of poncho/garbage bags as Tammons mentions above.

Sweeper
    The bug netting was definetly a must. I ended up buying the HH Explorer so no worries there I'm originally from Arkansas...southern summers aren't too much cooler than the temps here, humidity here is a little worse of course. Thanks for all of the tips though...i will check out the KAQ's. Cool deal that your nephew is stationed here, and he is right, Guam is nice..minus the bugs. I'm stationed down at the Naval Base myself!

Hammock
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Suspension
    Whoopiesling
    Quote Originally Posted by Cranky Bear View Post
    Everyone is different! I'd say go out and hang overnight a couple time's with different low temp's and see what "YOU" need! Yes some people in the temp ranges you mention don't use anything under them, but a lot do, it's a very personal thing as is the same with all backpacking gear! So like I said the best advise "I" can give you is get out for a few overnighter's that the low's are different each time and see how you feel!
    Very true, doing an overnighter next week!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast