Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    HG 4 season cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti UQ/Burrow TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings

How many have JRB HR with sewn in footbox?

Getting ready for an early June trip to New Mexico, so need replacing my synthetic 35* bag with the awesome JRBHR. Was planning on waiting til fall but no doubt it will mucho frio en la montanas I currently use my bag and when zipped open has a footbox much like I envision the quilt to have. Any reason not to go with the sewn in box?
    Thanks,
    leigh.....dreaming of mountains

It all depends on what you are going to use it for?! The HR quilt can do dual function as a TQ or an UQ, so if you are only going to use it as a TQ "ONLY" and have no intention what so ever of using it as an UQ then yea get it done! You can always use it and then decide later to have the footbox sewn up if you want too!

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cranky Bear View Post
    It all depends on what you are going to use it for?! The HR quilt can do dual function as a TQ or an UQ, so if you are only going to use it as a TQ "ONLY" and have no intention what so ever of using it as an UQ then yea get it done! You can always use it and then decide later to have the footbox sewn up if you want too!
    With no footbox, it'll also cover a twin sized bed nicely.

The omni tape, cinch cord and such might add weight, but they also retain flexibility.

Quote Originally Posted by wisenber View Post
    With no footbox, it'll also cover a twin sized bed nicely.
    Hah, I didn't know that! That would work pretty good for my kid's, dual use sweet! Although the laundering would be a pain, kid drool doesn't like to come out in the wash all that easily?

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    i have the HR without the sewn in footbox ....
    it's my goto quilt for cold weather ....i never had any problems with the omni tape or the footbox coming apart ...it's a solid quilt
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    HG 4 season cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti UQ/Burrow TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    thanks all for your input! I just saw the omni tape getting stuck to my socks LOL, and since I don't plan on using it for an UQ, I think I'll go with the sewn in fb. I think it will anchor my tootsies and keep the quilt in place, at least that's what my current bag does. Being such a noob, I was afraid there might be some existential reason for not going that way!

Hammock
    HH Exped Mod #2
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Burrow in the Nest
    Suspension
    8ft WhoOPies
    After weeks of pondering the thought of footbox,no footbox. I finnaly decided on ordering a Burrow from Stormcrow with ties on it. i dont like omni tape because it always seem to come open on me. In warmer weather i still want the option of cooling my feet off a bit by not always having them in the footbox. I also think the ties are a good weight reduction vs snaps or velcro.
    Just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Cranky Bear View Post
    No way I'd do that. I'd get the Omni tape foot box and I'd narrow the quilt from the waist tapering to 38" at the foot and call it good. I've never had an issue with the omni tape. If the JRB footbox has a problem, it is the fact that it is too large, the Omni tape is a non issue.

Hammock
    Hennessy Expedition
    Insulation
    GoLite / Nest
    Suspension
    Woopie
    When I ordered their 3 season quilt set, I was initially reluctant to go with the omni tape, but in the end decided with the full omni on both. I’m happy I did because it gives me more flexibility. I like the fact that I can connect the two as rectangular quilts and use it on the ground with my wife. Two people's body warmth was quite warm. We tested it out in the yard a few weeks back with the overnight temperature getting down to -2 C. We were toasty warm.

• + New Posts