Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    Still debating
    Insulation
    Hg Incubator
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckle

Suggestions for a complete setup to fit into backpack

Ok all.... I've looked through all of the resources and I think I know whats out there.

Now what I'm looking for is suggestions to help accommodate my goals - that is I want to have a backback (smaller the better) that can have all of the following:

- Hammock (I was thinking Eno doublenest but open to suggestions)
    - Tarp (reasonable one to protect from elements)
    - Underquilt (enough to keep me warm through 30ish degree nights)
    - Space for a few camping items (clothing, maybe a small stove, etc)

of course I'll need to bring a blanket or overquilt/sleeping bag but I'd like the four items to be able to fit into an average bag - not too heavy so I can backback easily snd not need to lug a lot of bags with me.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Hammock
    HH UExpl; WBBB; JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    CCS; HH Hex; WB Su
    Insulation
    MW-3, Sierra Sniv
    Suspension
    Woopie, Dutch Clip
    Not all who wander are lost.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    Chinook 9.6x9.6
    Insulation
    AH New River UQ
    Suspension
    Came with the BB
    Images
    Arson also has a good list of what he brings in his first aid kit.

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/v...ls&videoid=187
    I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority. - E. B. White (1899 - 1985)

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0
    Tarp
    Zpack's H. Tarp
    Insulation
    Summer Crowsnest
    Suspension
    ring buckles
    I think the best advice for buying a backpack is to get all your other gear first, then make sure it fits into the pack you buy. (I didn't come up with this, it's mentioned by lots of folks in other threads and forums). Take all your gear to an REI, EMS, etc, to see what pack will take your gear (leaving room for food). Even if the store doesn't have the model you're looking for, at least you can determine what size pack to get.
    "Every minute outside ... is a good minute!" -> Calvin & Hobbes, 8/1/1993

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    There are two approaches to this. Assemble your gear and buy a backpack based on your gear. OR buy the backpack you want and assemble your gear based on the backpack you have. In the first case, you can continue to use the gear that you have keeping in mind that you don't need to use _all_ the gear you have. Depending on what you currently have you may need something larger than you would ideally desire.

If you buy the backpack first and then assemble the gear you need to make sure you know what kind of backpacking you are going to be doing for the majority of the time. Day hiking needs a different pack than weekend hiking than "hut to hut" than 10 day unsupported treks in the deep wilderness. Then you will need to buy the gear that fits that pack and scenario. That is fine if you are outfitting you gear from scratch. But be prepared to spend some fairly big bucks on sleeping bags and quilts and the like because the lighter and more compact you go the higher the cost is going to be.

In any event and no matter which approach you take, buy a pack the _fits you_ the way it should. The torso length for a pack is the most critical measurement there is in a pack. Cubic inches is what most people concentrate on, but unless the torso length is right it just plain won't carry well. There is nothing that impacts the comfort of a pack more than the the way it fits. If this is your first pack and you don't know much about backpacking _don't_ buy from an online store or a big box retailer. Go to an outfitter and get their experience and knowledge. You might pay more, but it will be worth the cost in the long run.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Welcome to HF!!
    I think Rev put it best!!!
    There are "A LOT" of threads here on the forum that talk about everything you asked, best to do some research on the treads and narrow down your choices, then if any specific questions arise post em! Reason being you will get varying responses from everyone as pretty much each person is different and their individual approach is different, but we all have hammocks/tarps/quilts or pads/and so on!
    But not everyone's set-up is the same, I like my gear cause it fit's me, Rev like's his cause it fit's him, and so on!

Hammock
    Custom made multicam
    Tarp
    Custom 40DMulticam
    Insulation
    Thermolit/pad/bivy
    Suspension
    rope/straps/biners
    My advice would be to buy a pack that is smaller then you think you will need. This way you force yourself to cut weight rather then add weight. If you buy a 5,000 cu. in. pack you'll just find something else to stuff in that space. Before you know it your pack is over 50lbs. Also remember that some of your gear can be strapped to the outside of the pack. So don't assume everything is going inside. It doesn't have to. Things like; your bed roll, sleeping pad, ax/saw, sleeping bag, and rain tarp can all be strapped on the outside.

If you buy a pack with an internal aluminum frame (2 vertical metal bars), it will take some adjustment (bending) of the bars to get it to fit your back. It may also have an adjustable torso pad for your back which is highly recommended. Getting these adjusted for your back is critical for your comfort on a long haul! Make sure when you are making your final adjustments on these that you have your pack loaded with your typical gear and weight. You don't want to hit the trail and then find out that you have a pinch point.
    Quote Originally Posted by exdiver View Post
    I roll more than a turd beetle.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe 2Q's MOD 3
    Tarp
    Large HH Tarp
    Insulation
    XL 3in self inflat
    Suspension
    Whoopiesling/strap
    BEST ADVICE is to get FITTED for a pack in the size you need.
    Google backpack fitting info and be aware of how it's done so you have a feel for the service provider. If she knows what he's doing while fitting you.

I'm from the : get your gear then size the bag cult.

I guess I'd start with the hammock....I have the HH Explorer Deluxe.. Chosen based on my height weight and the things I want in a hammock. Bugnet attached.
    Tarp needs to cover the hammock...how much coverage is up to you. I like em big but I don't hike and camp. I'm not a Ultra Light (UL) or Super Ultra Light (SUL) camper

Stove I use a ZELPH GO TO STOVE

Many thoughts on style of stove...cannister, alchohol or wood.

I hope my ramblings have helped....I regurgitate what I learn here and in life....

Tom

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Search around for gear lists until you find one that's close to your goals and hiking style. Then start buying.

Here are a few of mine:
    http://www.tothewoods.net/GearList.html
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    Hennessy Ultralight
    Tarp
    Equinox UL Tarp
    Insulation
    Te-Wa Breeze
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by WeekNDHiker View Post
    My advice would be to buy a pack that is smaller then you think you will need. This way you force yourself to cut weight rather then add weight.
    This is how I forced myself to go SUL.

It's not necessarily the best way to do it, but it worked for me.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast