Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Images

Shoulder Squeeze help needed

I read the archives of the yahoo group and on WB about shoulder squeeze. I haven't seen anything on this forum about it yet.

I am having problems on my hommade Speer style hammock. I had a little riping mishap so this is a standard Speer without the asym mod. Am I understanding correctly when the way to fix the shoulder squeeze problems are to increase the sag in the hammock? I am 6'4" and the hammock is 11' long, so the length is not an issue. I am also thinking that the whipping and the tension on the sides has a lot to do with it.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY cat diamond
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ & OQ
    Images
    Are you using a ridgeline? Also how wide is your hammock?

Images
    I am using a ridge line and the hammock is about 5' wide minus hems and cutting off the salvage edges.

Hammock
    DD modular jungle hammock
    Tarp
    wilderness logics
    Insulation
    wilderness logics
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hammock engineer View Post
    I read the archives of the yahoo group and on WB about shoulder squeeze. I haven't seen anything on this forum about it yet.

I am having problems on my hommade Speer style hammock. I had a little riping mishap so this is a standard Speer without the asym mod. Am I understanding correctly when the way to fix the shoulder squeeze problems are to increase the sag in the hammock? I am 6'4" and the hammock is 11' long, so the length is not an issue. I am also thinking that the whipping and the tension on the sides has a lot to do with it.

hanging your hammock to tight will do it neo

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY cat diamond
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ & OQ
    Images
    Try diffrent ridgeline lengths. For me about a foot shorter than the hammock works! Also you may be right about the sides, try lowering them a little. I find that my DIY projects always need a little tweaking & tinkering.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Try a ridgeline around 8'. Add or subtract from there. Too short can be just as bad as too long. And make sure you hang it tightly enough that the ridgeline isn't sagging when you get in - it should be tight if it's supporting the weight.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Images
    I think I finally fixed my problem. I am still fine tuning the ridgeline length, but I am leaning towards a long one around 9'.

The problem really fixed itself when I realized that this is not a asym hammock and I should lay in the middle. One of those what was I thinking moments. Too many nights in the HH and thinking about my homemade asym hammock.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    You're still supposed to sleep diagonally in a Speer-type. But if you're comfortable in the middle that's all that matters.

What fabric are you using? I made one from some 1.1 oz that was too stretchy, and that stretch resulted in shoulder squeeze even though I had enough sag and everything.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

Images
    I'll have to try the diagonal a little more. Maybe if I take some length out of the ridgeline it would be more comfortable like that.

I am pretty sure I am using 1.9 oz riptop. I ordered it online a while back and was told it was the "lite weight stuff". It looks a lot thicker than my 1.1 ripstop I have or the ripstop on my nest. I can't see though it as much as the other ripstops.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    With 5' wide and 11' long, you should have no problems with shoulder squeeze once you find the right sag. Assuming the material isn't stretching like mine was, at least. But Risk slept in the middle of his for a long time and said he was comfortable that way...as long as it's working for you, there's not a "right" way.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast