Tarp
    Clark Std. XL Tarp
    Insulation
    KAQ-Lost River
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

Looking at a tight budget for first Hammock

Hello this is MML ( The Man, The Myth, and the legend), and I am looking at my first 3 season and possible winter camping on occasion hammock. This brand of Hammock is within my budget of $200.00.
    Any thoughts on a first time hanger purchasing a expedition hammock and a rain fly from Mosquito hammock. com ?? how well does the sleeve underneath, work with a pad to in keeping a backside warm on cold weather?? What type of inexpensive pad works well?? Just a cheap pad with an inexpensive rescue foil blanket with gaffer tape holding the foil in place is what first comes to mind. Any help there??
    200lbs, 5ft 8 and typically carry my 30 degree plus mummy bag.
    Any help would be appreciated !!!

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    MacCat delux Spinn
    Insulation
    CCF and Quilts
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Images
    I am still using my Claytor hammock after a number of years. The pad pocket works very well. I have gone to negative 11* F with that hammock and a bunch of ccf pads in the pocket.

Hammock
    Clark NX250
    Tarp
    Clark Std. XL Tarp
    Insulation
    KAQ-Lost River
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I will be using my 30 degree rated mummy bag for the time being in whatever Hammock I decide to buy ( I can open it up and use it as a quilt), someday as the budget will allow I can buy a quilt. So basically any good insulated pad with vapor barrier in the under quilt will work in the Clayton?
    I assume there is a preferred pad that works well with a Clayton? ( I am a warm sleeper), so being cold is not an option. You mentioned CCF pad. Being new to the forum, please help me out with the abbreviation. CCF ??

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MML View Post
    You mentioned CCF pad. Being new to the forum, please help me out with the abbreviation. CCF ??
    CCF = Closed Cell Foam pad.

There is a glossary of hammock terms that is at the top of the General Hammock forum, if my memory serves me right.

Cheers

Brian

BTW, it is Claytor, not Clayton.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Do you make your own gear? If so, buy the claytor no net hammock (40 bucks), make a simple mosquito net tube bug net--(I made mine out of some left over bug net from another project, but I believe war bonnet guy makes a really nice one he sells for 70 bucks), and a simple tarp---and you have a great system for a bargin price! -----especially if you have tarp from another hammock or tent you can use. I really like the double bottom---makes is really easy and comfortable to use a pad! In the winter time you can ditch the bug net for extra weight savings. The only thing about the claytor is, the stock suspension isnt great, and most people change it out----there are lots of threads dealing with this subject. Good luck---I think you are really going to like the claytor design---its very comfortable! ----------one more thing, Ive read that somepeople dont care for the expedition hammock--its shorter than the jungle hammock (which alot of people like)-----I think it depends on how tall you are. Also, the jungle hammock it water proof, where the no net is breathable. You also might check and make sure he still makes a double bottom--some people were receiveing hammocks that had a double bottom, but no opening---Im not sure if he took care of that problem or not----its an awesome feature to have on a hammock!
    Last edited by stevebo; 05-12-2010 at 23:55.
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    One more thing, if you read the fine print, his weights are for the hammock and bug net only, not including the suspension. ----something to keep in mind!
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

Hammock
    Clark NX250
    Tarp
    Clark Std. XL Tarp
    Insulation
    KAQ-Lost River
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Thanks for the input, I have zero sewing and tent making skills, I will most likley NOT go that route at this point.
    I am still in the getting educated mode. At some point I will make my final desision on a 4 season setup to hang.
    Their is 4 sure, a lot of good A1 input on this forum!!!!

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    In that case, I would probably buy a war bonnet black bird--Ive never used one or even seen one, but people seem to really like it!
    (I think the hammock alone is under 200 bucks) You could get by with a cheap tarp, and when you can afford it can upgrade to a better tarp---------Ive even seen people use heavy car camping plastic tarps in the back country! I believe the war bonnet black bird comes with a double bottom, so you can still use a blue foam pad--------so you would be pretty functional for 3 season camping! Anyway, if I was on a really tight budget and starting over, thats what I would do!

--unknown

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    I just looked at warbonnet outdoors website----its 170 dollars for the hammock, and if you buy a tarp from mosquito hammocks its around 50 dollars, so youll be 25 bucks over budget, but you will have a really nice set up that will last for many years to come-------just trying to help!

--unknown

Hammock
    DD modular jungle hammock
    Tarp
    wilderness logics
    Insulation
    wilderness logics
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MML View Post
    Hello this is MML ( The Man, The Myth, and the legend), and I am looking at my first 3 season and possible winter camping on occasion hammock. This brand of Hammock is within my budget of $200.00.
    Any thoughts on a first time hanger purchasing a expedition hammock and a rain fly from Mosquito hammock. com ?? how well does the sleeve underneath, work with a pad to in keeping a backside warm on cold weather?? What type of inexpensive pad works well?? Just a cheap pad with an inexpensive rescue foil blanket with gaffer tape holding the foil in place is what first comes to mind. Any help there??
    200lbs, 5ft 8 and typically carry my 30 degree plus mummy bag.
    Any help would be appreciated !!!
    the claytor jungle and tarp is 150.00 free shipping
    the dd hammock and tarp is 161.00 free shipping
    the dd front line my favorite it has a zipper on each side

they are both double bottom hammocks both are excellent choices.neo

http://www.ddhammocks.com/products

http://www.mosquitohammock.com/
    http://www.ddhammocks.com/products
    the matrix has you

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast