Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Connie View Post
    Did SGT Rock write it up, in the forum?

Was it the 5-in-1 IX quilt? Is that top and bottom? How was it deployed?

Was he doing his "minimalist test" and he had nothing else: no pad. nothing but all his clothing? or just his first layer?

I ask, because the last post I saw from SGT Rock was about testing the limits of ultralight hammocking, involving cuben.

I am just getting started with hammocking, experienced at backpacking, and I sent $$$ for the two layer IX UQ with the quilting in the torso, for my travel hammock. I relied heavily on the "reviews".
    Here is the thread on this (it's towards the end of the thread I think page 7 or so) He also posted a link to his site where he gives the trip report!
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=14824

FWIW there have also been a lot of write-ups on the IX stuff by Mac, just do a search for IX and it should come up!

Hammock
    Grand Trunk UL Travel
    Tarp
    cat-e-nary-cut
    Insulation
    bearskin rug
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    That is my goal.

The idea of Summer weather, and, "shoulder season" weather. That is why I joined this thread.

My idea was IX and Stormcrow Ptarmigan, the Ptarmigan for down to 15 F.

Is the IX not enough, for down to 40 with a pad? That is Summer, here.

We posted at the same time. I did search IX before ordering.

I can't just "live" on this forum to keep up with all the threads!

The "Search" leaves a lot to be desired. It does not go to the page.

In fact, there are many pages of threads with practically one mention "IX".

I know, because I waded thru a lot of threads with nothing much to say.

I hope someone can answer my question. I have another life than online.

I will go read his report. But if that is his SUL, I am not SUL.
    Last edited by Connie; 05-11-2010 at 10:50.

Hammock
    1.1 DL Traveler
    Tarp
    Etowah 8x10
    Insulation
    AHE Lost River
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    It really depends on what kind of sleeper you are. I'm planning on my 2 layers of insultex taking me to 40 possibly lower as I am a very warm sleeper
    Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith (Hebrews 12:2)

Hammock
    Grand Trunk UL Travel
    Tarp
    cat-e-nary-cut
    Insulation
    bearskin rug
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    But what are you in? Clothing? Insulated clothing? Sleeping pad?

I have a website about lightweight and ultralightweight backpacking, since 2002.

I'm warm, maybe you are not, is no information at all.

I am freaking poor, but I have good gear, because I don't throw money away.

If I sound annoyed, I am. "Backyard testing" remark here. SGT Rock walked 0.3 miles SUL. His pack breaks. I walk 4 miles round trip for a cup of coffee at the coffeeshop, just to be "social". I have done that, once, in minus 38 F.

Excuse me, but I am thinking the pics of liquor bottles around here, this forum is occupied by drunks who sit around the local county or state park and brag.
    Last edited by Connie; 05-11-2010 at 11:06.

Hammock
    1.1 DL Traveler
    Tarp
    Etowah 8x10
    Insulation
    AHE Lost River
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I'm sorry I should have clarified... I am in nothing but t shirt and shorts. I used to get down to 40 in just a sleeping bag with a fleece liner (nothing below me, sleeping in t shirt and shorts) and be fine YITMV (your inner temperature may vary!).

I am a poor college student that has built his gear up over the last two years. I love hiking and being outdoors as do most of the people here. Although many of the group hangs are ones that advertised here, so do many peoples individual hikes.
    Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith (Hebrews 12:2)

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Excuse me, but I am thinking the pics of liquor bottles around here, this forum is occupied by drunks who sit around the local county or state park and brag.
    I'm not sure what or who you're referring to, but you *will* change your tone to a congenial one or your participation on this forum will no longer be required.

There are folks on this forum who do all kinds of outdoor activities (hiking, kayaking, car camping, whatever), and all are welcome.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

But what are you in? Clothing? Insulated clothing? Sleeping pad?

I have a website about lightweight and ultralightweight backpacking, since 2002.

I'm warm, maybe you are not, is no information at all.

I am freaking poor, but I have good gear, because I don't throw money away.

If I sound annoyed, I am. "Backyard testing" remark here. SGT Rock walked 0.3 miles SUL. His pack breaks. I walk 4 miles round trip for a cup of coffee at the coffeeshop, just to be "social". I have done that, once, in minus 38 F.

I hope that you did not take my post the wrong way? I was not trying to down talk or demeanor you in any way!!!!

The clothing part would all depend on what temp's you are out in, but also in conjunction with your gear ( TQ, UQ)! I was out at the MAHHA HF hang and one night it got down to 32* and I had a Crowsnest UQ, a Golite 3 Season TQ, and was in lightweight capline's and was roasting, no pad was used even though I had a torso length Gossamer Gear 1/4in pad with me!

I have two children, and I am able to find things that work, it takes time for me to get the things that I want/need, but my family come's first! So I know where you are coming from when it come's to funds! I got my hammock on sale from HH as they run a almost yearly sale around October, I got my tarp from a most kind person here on the forum, as well as my UQ. My TQ I got from Golite when they had their huge sale! What I am getting at is I saved up for each and every piece of gear I have and pretty much waited for the big sale's to happen, some took longer than other's though!

Srg Rock has been hiking a long time and has done some very "LONG" trip's and this particular one (SUL trip) someone correct me if I am incorrect was a test to see how this gear would/could perform!? Which he does a lot! As well as other's here do the same thing, it's all a matter of testing to see what will work for you!

There are many people here that have Thru hiked the AT, and other long trails that provide much needed (at least by me) information on their gear, what worked, what didn't work for "THEM", that doesn't mean that it would/could work for me or you or anyone else, but it does give me something to think about and maybe try at one of the next HF hangs I am able to attend!

I am sorry that you are taking offense to either my post's or other's post's as they are not meant that way!!

CB
    Last edited by Cranky Bear; 05-11-2010 at 11:42.

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by angrysparrow View Post
    I'm not sure what or who you're referring to, but you *will* change your tone to a congenial one or your participation on this forum will no longer be required.

There are folks on this forum who do all kinds of outdoor activities (hiking, kayaking, car camping, whatever), and all are welcome.
    I hear ya. I think he was seeing the avatars on Sgt Rocks site. Still no cause to flame us.

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    I was the one that made the "backyard test" reference.
    FWIW, I "backyard test" before trying in the field. I also don't expect what I get in the backyard to be what I get in the field. I use it to determine if there are any glaring problems before I risk a weekend or worse on it.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC 1.7, Traveler S1.7
    Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Have you considered that SGT Rock might be pushing the boundaries of the gear he is using? Perhaps he made all of that gear?
    I love 'poor' people who want to buy quality gear yet critize the very people they need help from to save money on overrated stuff. You want to get the 'right' gear, ask the 'right' questions and if you don't like the answer, buy whatever you want and live with it. I would not recommend flaming people to get quality answers...just a thought

yup, that is ALL of us. Like you said, at least you have a life that isn't online. <sheesh>

what is your website address? (I want to make sure I never visit)
    "Every day is a new day to a better future"
    "Of all the things that matter, that really and truly matter, working more efficiently and getting more done is not among them." ~ Mike Dooley
    "What if I told you that you couldn't have anymore of anything... No more friends, no more money, no more anything, until you first got happy with what you have?"~ Mike Dooley
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." ~ Socrates

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast