Warbonnet MiniFly
    Insulation
    3 Season Wookie
    Suspension
    Warbonnet Whoopies
    Images

Presidentials traverse in June

hey all,

im planning on doing a presi traverse in june. just wondering if there are any restrictions or things i need to anticipate before hanging through the presi's...

i'll be travelling with 4 other people who are tenting (dummies).

the other thing is that i havent had the time to do any actual route planning but i have all the gear dialed in!

any help i can get in any regard is highly appreciated.
    C-Bass

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    That's a fantastic trip! As far a hanging, once your up there, it's all above the treeline. There are AMC huts (cabins really) along the way. Even for your tent dwelling friends, it's sorta hard to stealth with a tent above the treeline, kind of conspicuous.

You do want to know all alternate trails leading down (like knowing where the exits are on an airplane) because summer afternoon thunderstorms come quickly and, you don't want your head to be the highest point east of the Rockies!

Below the treeline, you won't go lacking for trees. As a matter of fact, your tent buddies will be hard pressed to find a space big enough for their tent, without a tree in it. That's one of the main reasons that brought me to hammocking.

Stealth camping is no problem in the Whites (except above the treeline) because in many places you would be completely hidden just 10' off the trail. Stealth is all I do. I can't stand the tent platforms, but they are almost a necessity as that's about the only place with more than 10 square feet of level area. I've spent many extra hours hiking while looking for a suitable tent spot, but no more! Thanks to this website, I've discovered the solution.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB lightweight Dbl - Blue
    Tarp
    Warbonnet MiniFly
    Insulation
    3 Season Wookie
    Suspension
    Warbonnet Whoopies
    Images
    so from what i gather. provided we plan ahead and camp below treeline for the most part me and my hammock will be fine...

good.

i've already warned them that this might be the case but u know how people are...

thanks Mad777

Hammock
    currently my DIY bridge
    Tarp
    8 x 10 sil tarp
    Insulation
    DIY tq,pads
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    There are restrictions on where you can camp in some of the Wilderness areas. Part of the Great Gulf is off limits to camping - but you shouldn't be there. The same goes for the Tuckerman's ravine area. Again, probably not part of the itinerary. No camping in the Alpine Zone. You will be there!

The real problem is going to be finding trees large enough to hang from - there is no much there along the high ridges. Even down in the spruce forests it can take a long time to find trees available to hang on. (Tent camping areas are harder to find - but there are a few. )

I am familiar with some of the areas you may be hiking through. If you narrow down your trip I might be able to help you find areas to camp in.

I believe that most people either stay in the huts, or do the high ridges in a day when traversing.

And do watch the weather - it can get rough up there quickly. Know where the escape routes off the ridge are and don't be too macho to use them. Sometimes just getting a few feet below the ridge can really get you a big change in weather.

Here is a list of the camping regulations. I can help interpreting them if you are not familiar with the areas.

One possibility is to hike up from Randolph on day 1 - stop while there are trees and camping areas. On day two do the high ridges. If you continue down the main Presidential Ridge you will run out of trail before the end of 3 days. The Montalbaum ridge would give you room for more hiking, or you could descend into the Dry River valley.

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    If you decide to use a hut it is much cheaper if you don't get their meal. Also the trees near the treeline won't hold you. They have shallow roots and are quite thin. Be prepare to wear your raingear. Tenting isn't much easier than hammocking as there are very few place to tent. You will have a great time. It is 3 kinds of beautiful up there.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    HH Hyperlite & WBBB 1.0 Double
    Insulation
    Crowsnest/No Snive
    Images
    This has suddenly shot to the top of my to-do list. I love a challenge.

Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    DCF Winter
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ @ TQ
    Suspension
    Whoope
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post

Stealth camping is no problem in the Whites (except above the treeline) because in many places you would be completely hidden just 10' off the trail. Stealth is all I do. I can't stand the tent platforms, but they are almost a necessity as that's about the only place with more than 10 square feet of level area. I've spent many extra hours hiking while looking for a suitable tent spot, but no more! Thanks to this website, I've discovered the solution.
    Yep, stealth and hammock just go together, I have a few favorite spots up there.
    Since I retired, some times I stay awake all day, some times all night.

• + New Posts