Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    HGWinter Incubator
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images

Insulation for clarks

Just wondering really. I love my NX250, in fact I get better sleep now when I'm in it than when I'm in my bed at home. I got the z liner for it which works very well indeed. I used it in -2.2F just after christmas, and whilst i was wearing thermals and thick socks with a sleeping bag, didnt need anymore than that.

However, when you pack it away with the z liner attached, its a pretty bulky thing. I know you can take the pads out and just use the pockets for your stuff which kind of creates its own insulation anyway, but I'm wondering if there is an underquilt out there that packs down really small, attaches properly and will go down to low temperatures.

What do you guys who use a z liner think?

Hammock
    Clark NX250
    Tarp
    OES 12 x 15
    Insulation
    Snugfit
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    I use a Speer Snugfit designed for Speer Hammocks with the NX250. The velcro on this UQ matches up exactly with that on the Clark, almost like a custom fit. This is a full-length UQ and very warm.

Unfortunately the Snugfits are about to be discontinued due to some reorganization at Speer. Therefore, I called Ed last Friday and ordered another one before they become scarce. The Mrs. is planning to start hammocking with me this year and if I didn't have a second one I would have to give her mine.

If you give Ed a call he may have a few left. IMHO they are very well worth the price.

Hammock
    Clark NX-200
    Tarp
    Clark XL-Fly
    Insulation
    KAQ NR UQ/AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Strap/cinch buckle
    NickJ
    Check out the KAQ New River UQ's that Paul has at Arrowhead Equipment. I have two of then. Both can be used as an UQ but I use one as a TQ and have been down into the mid 20's with lightweight base layer, hiking pants, fleece jacket and belalaclava that night. He may be able to make you one that will have and extra layer in it to help you get to the temps your looking for. There is also the IX UQ that Mac/Tree to Trail Gear are/will be producing that could be used as a supplemental layer with the KAQ.

I hope this helps!!!!
    Par Si Vis Pace Para Bellum

Hammock
    Clark
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    HGWinter Incubator
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    guys, what are the pack sizes of each of those? i just had a delivery from Paul actually, it arrived this morning, but that was other stuff rather than a UQ

packed volume

I have the same question. It seems like whether it is an UQ or z-liner it is basically the same amount of material , climashield and ripstop, and it packs down to the same volume. The UQ allows for separating the parts so that may make it a little easier to pack but the net volume is the same.

Hammock
    Clark NX-200
    Tarp
    Clark XL-Fly
    Insulation
    KAQ NR UQ/AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Strap/cinch buckle
    NickJ & scbron:
    Are you looking for a winter set or a summer set. If a summer set look at the IX UQ's from MacEntyre/Tree to Trail gear they pack small and provide good warmth.

I can pack both of my KAQ NR's, my CJH NX_200, BWDD WD Tarp, cook kit, spare clothes and Fleece jacket into a Osprey Atmos 65. This is not totally packed either. THey each weigh a little over a lb. with stuff sack. I hope this helps with your considerations.

weight vs volume

I am guessing that the volume for your setup is reasonably close to the same if you used the z liner.

I have also come to the same conclusion that i cannot manage a smaller volume pack with the synthetic/fleece gear that I use. My weights are ok but I need 65-75 liters to pack what I need for a multi day trip. Because the hammock ends up inside the pack, a lot of pack volume goes to my shelter/sleeping set up and insulating layers.

Hammock
    Clark NX-200
    Tarp
    Clark XL-Fly
    Insulation
    KAQ NR UQ/AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Strap/cinch buckle
    SC:
    I will try to get some pictures of all my gear this weekend as I am getting it all together for Neo's MLW hang next weekend. Not sure how big the Z-Liner packs down to but yes all of my sleep system goes in my pack. I can compress the KAQ's down to the size of mens size 12 shoe box, but this is not good for long periods of time. I can say that I am getting both UQ and TQ in my pack for what I can approximate to be the same size as the Z-liner only.

Hammock
    Clark NX-250
    Tarp
    Clark RX-250
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 UQ
    Suspension
    AHE Strps & Whpies

Z-Liner Bulk

Quote Originally Posted by NickJ View Post
    Just wondering really. I love my NX250, in fact I get better sleep now when I'm in it than when I'm in my bed at home. I got the z liner for it which works very well indeed. I used it in -2.2F just after christmas, and whilst i was wearing thermals and thick socks with a sleeping bag, didnt need anymore than that.

However, when you pack it away with the z liner attached, its a pretty bulky thing. I know you can take the pads out and just use the pockets for your stuff which kind of creates its own insulation anyway, but I'm wondering if there is an underquilt out there that packs down really small, attaches properly and will go down to low temperatures.

What do you guys who use a z liner think?
    Hello NickJ:

I just noticed your post regarding the Z-Liner.

I have an NX-250 with the Z-Liner set as well. I have had the same experience as you have with the issue of bulkiness. I think that issue is one of the unfortunate side effects of using a synthetic liner. Although, I like the Z-Liner for many other reasons and the extra bulk has not slowed me down. However, lately I have been removing the Z-Liner and using a JRB MW-3 down UQ instead of the Z-Liner, when I want to reduce my pack size. The JRB UQ fits the NX-250 very well; as does a DIY poncho liner if you are so inclined.

My feeling is that the Z-Liner and a more compressible down UQ like the JRB MW-3 UQ both have a place in my game plan. If I expect especially wet weather, the Z-Liner has the somewhat inherent benefit of water resistance. I have also layered the Z-Liner and JRB MW-3 UQ to get additional warmth below 10 degrees F.

I hope that these few comments are helpful to you.

Hammock
    Clark
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    HGWinter Incubator
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Thanks guys. Longbow, I don't tend to worry about the issue of synthetic/waterproof vs down - my "night pack" when canoeing is a single vinyl dry bag which has sleeping bag, tarp, pillow, hammock with z-liner already in it. I got the bag from clark which is the right size to fit in the hammock without removing the z-liner.

But, the pack size is quite big hence the question. I'll take a look at the JRM MW3 as well. There is a guy here in the UK who is making what seem to be really good quality TQ's and UQs, and it would be handy to know the dimensions for the JRM if it's a good fit to the NX250. I've been loathe to give him an order so far not because I'm concerned about the quality, but because I'm not sure of the dimensions to fit the NX250 when I'm in it, if it would come far enough up the sides etc, so I'd really appreciate it if you could let me know.

Also, how do you attach it to the nx250? just at each end with bungee/shock cord? or something else?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast