Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Trucker hitch + half hitch slipping?

Hi.

I have been using the Trucker hitch + 2 half hitches to rig canoes on my car for years.

Today I rigged a tarp continuous ridge line with AHE utility line (nice stuff!) and since i don't have figure 9 on hand i decided to use a trucker hitch + 2 half hitches at the free hand. Is the AHE utility line too slippery for half hitch? 2 even 3 half hitches are not enough to stop it slipping. Is it absolutely needed i half hitch everything together? The tree i tried it on is big so my line gave me a big V so it is harder to half hitch the two braid together (clear enough?)

Another stopping knot would be better?

Thanks!

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gbouchar View Post
    Hi.

I have been using the Trucker hitch + 2 half hitches to rig canoes on my car for years.

Today I rigged a tarp continuous ridge line with AHE utility line (nice stuff!) and since i don't have figure 9 on hand i decided to use a trucker hitch + 2 half hitches at the free hand. Is the AHE utility line too slippery for half hitch? 2 even 3 half hitches are not enough to stop it slipping. Is it absolutely needed i half hitch everything together? The tree i tried it on is big so my line gave me a big V so it is harder to half hitch the two braid together (clear enough?)

Another stopping knot would be better?

Thanks!
    Had a look at Paul's site to see what "Utility Rope". Ah. Lash-It or Zing-It, depending on color. I understand your problem….

The fast answer is yes, this stuff doesn't hold grip using mere half hitches.

The easiest thing is indeed to use a little extra hardware. Doesn't have to be a figure 9 though. If you get a sturdy ring you can use that as an anchor for a trucker's hitch style attachment. Position the ring where you would have put the loop on the line for the TH. Wrap the cord through and around the ring about 3 times….through the hole, 360 degrees around, through the hole again, 360 degrees around, repeat one more time.

Bring the standing end around the tree and back to the ring. Now instead of once through and half hitches (which probably still won't work!) pass the cord through the ring, around, through the ring again (tighten while you still can) and through the ring one more time. NOW try a couple of slippery half-hitches.

The wrapping around the ring before hitching takes off the force and creates some much needed friction to make things hold.
    Grizz
    (alias ProfessorHammock on youtube)

What do you suggest as a suitable ring? At worst, could a small biner work?

Thanks!

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gbouchar View Post
    What do you suggest as a suitable ring? At worst, could a small biner work?

Thanks!
    Small biner should be fine if not too much tension is on it. Fine for a tarp ridgeline. Not fine for a structural ridgeline. Bet you can guess how I know for sure.

If weight is not an issue, hardware stores have 3/4 to 1 inch diameter steel rings that are more than adequate for the job. SMC descending rings are my favorites in any context where a ring is needed. Amazing strong, and 0.4 oz each.
    Grizz
    (alias ProfessorHammock on youtube)

Thanks.

I'll try a biner since my 4 SMC rings are on the hammock suspension. Will buy some more. They are handy and weight is low.

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    For the visual learners--this is basically what Griz described above.

Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Paul, i don't see a link. Is it supposed to be there (I am a visual learner!).

Thanks!

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Hmm, shows for me, but I will repost with the photo loaded from my HF gallery instead of fliker.

Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Thanks for the picture. I could not see the first one BUT i can't see Flickr picture here so it was on my side.

Tried it with a biner this morning. I was almost late so this test will have to be done again.

With a pear shape roundish rated biner, it was still slipping (less) until i double the rope to the tree. So i did 3-4 wrap around the biner, send the free end around the tree and did 3-4 wrap around the biner again then 2 slippery half hitch. It seem to hold.

I will test again with more time on hand. Ultimately i may buy a figure-9 or replicate AHE continuous tarp ridge line setup with prussik loop since i really like how strong this rope is.

Thanks!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast