Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    Look in the rope/chain area. I think that's where I found them. You should also be able to find some of the figure 9 thingymabobs for your tarp while you're there.
    I saw the figure 9 devices for sale at ****'s sporting goods. The smaller ones seemed too heavy to carry just for a tarp, and the larger ones said weight limit of 150 lbs. Pluse, the instructions on the package seem to depict the use of two ropes - one tied to your tarp and another tied to the tree. It would be nice to have an "inline" device that you wrap around the tree then back to the device - sort of like the hitchcraft but smaller.

I'm not sure about the forces on a hammock (and I know there is a thread going on about this) but I'd want some assurance from the manufacturer that their product will hold a 250 pound man in a hammock before I buy it. If the manufacturer doesn't know, I'm not going to be their crash dummy.

Hammock
    DD modular jungle hammock
    Tarp
    wilderness logics
    Insulation
    wilderness logics
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nogods View Post
    I saw the figure 9 devices for sale at ****'s sporting goods. The smaller ones seemed too heavy to carry just for a tarp, and the larger ones said weight limit of 150 lbs. Pluse, the instructions on the package seem to depict the use of two ropes - one tied to your tarp and another tied to the tree. It would be nice to have an "inline" device that you wrap around the tree then back to the device - sort of like the hitchcraft but smaller.

I'm not sure about the forces on a hammock (and I know there is a thread going on about this) but I'd want some assurance from the manufacturer that their product will hold a 250 pound man in a hammock before I buy it. If the manufacturer doesn't know, I'm not going to be their crash dummy.
    being dummy is not a good thing lol neo

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I personally would not use the fig 9s to hang my hammock from; lack of trust and a love of webbing. But for tarps, it doesn't get sweeter. The small ones might weigh 2 grams. The ease of which I can adjust my tarp more than compensate for the extra weight burden.

There are instructions (if desperation overtakes you) on the fig 9 packaging that will show you how to use them with either one or two ropes. Read it once and you'll get it; very easy to use.

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images

The smaller figure 9's are extremely light. They weigh about the same as a penny. How did you find them to be heavy?
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Hammock
    Tarp
    wilderness logics
    Insulation
    wilderness logics
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nogods

being dummy crash is not a good thing lol neo

Quote Originally Posted by neo View Post
    being dummy is not a good thing lol neo

Hammock
    Tarp
    wilderness logics
    Insulation
    wilderness logics
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images

i meant being a crash dummy not a good thing,happened to me in a hennessey last year neo

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FanaticFringer View Post
    The smaller figure 9's are extremely light.
    They are 0.1 oz. on my digital scale. My kind of luxury item!

Images
    Both Home Depot and Loews have 1" , 1 1/2" and 2" rings but the load weight is only 200lbs for each. Is there a civil engineer out there who can tell me whether or not two of them on each end of the hammock adds up to 400 lbs? and is there less than 200 lbs of stress on each end of the hammock with a 250 lb man inside?

Also, is there a way to use the ring bukle system with the stock claytor webbing? (I can't get any suitable replacement rope between now and Friday). Can I run both straps through one set of rings, then clip the ring to a carabiner and the carabiner to a slap strap (both of which I already have). If it worked, the only advanage would be that I could easilt adjust the hang. Or do I need to use one set of rings on each separate strap?

Images
    I'm not going to second guess the ring maker's ratings, but recognize that that rated load is probably a half or a third of the breaking strength of the ring. Just like the webbing we use. The real issue will be the quality of the weld if it comes down to that.

However I'd also say that using webbing as opposed to a chain or other hard, point load should give you additional insurance. The strength depends a lot on the way its loaded so they give the worst case situation with a healthy margin for safety.

Putting the two rings together depends a lot on how they're loaded again, are they tied together? Used as ring buckle supports? IN either case its probably safe to bet on at least 1.5 times the strength allowing for variations in how they're tied.

In the end you have to decide if YOU'RE ok with using them or if you want to wait for real rings.... I hang from a single 1/8" stainless quick link at each end of one of my hammocks. I think they were rated at about 200lbs, I weigh 180.

Also check the figure 9 thread for things guys hang from that are pretty small

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123