Tarp
    BCUSA 10x10
    Insulation
    PLUQ perhaps
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Huggers
    Images

Question Help a noob get comfie

Primary issue: laying in my hammock causes my left (closest to center of hammock) scapula to hurt.

Info: I'm a big (6'4" 250# give or take) hammock noob and I'm laying South American style in an ENO doublenest. I suspect my trees are a bit close to each other for the hammock (stock suspension) and my slap strap pros.

The problem seems worse when using a pad but it exists regardless.

Any tips, hints, pointers or humorous anecdotes?

How are you laying in the hammock, in center, head left feet right, head right feet left?

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    BCUSA 10x10
    Insulation
    PLUQ perhaps
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Huggers
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cranky Bear View Post
    How are you laying in the hammock, in center, head left feet right, head right feet left?
    Head right, feet left.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    Custom OES BatCave
    Insulation
    JRB quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    After talking to a few other ENO users I have finally concluded I am to tall (6'3'')to get comfortable in a doublnest. I've ordered a blackbird to try out. If that doesn't work I will order the largest dimension hennessy. If neither work I will stick to my bridge hammock or go back to a tent.

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    BCUSA 10x10
    Insulation
    PLUQ perhaps
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Huggers
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roadtorque View Post
    After talking to a few other ENO users I have finally concluded I am to tall (6'3'')to get comfortable in a doublnest. I've ordered a blackbird to try out. If that doesn't work I will order the largest dimension hennessy. If neither work I will stick to my bridge hammock or go back to a tent.
    Yikers - I didn't want to hear that but thanks for the info.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    How tight are you stringing your hammock up? In other words... do you have alot of sag or not so much? The tighter you string it, it more pressure points you create in the fabric.

I never had a problem getting comfy in a double nest. 6'3, 275.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    Also: hammock length?

My first impression would be to adjust the sag (Ie: my trees are too close) then add a ridgeline if possible to "set" the sag. Some like their sag much like this U others are closer to __ most are in between, & actually of all the hangers I know, mine is the "flatest" of the sags.
    Find trees at least 1 foot farther apart than the length of your hammock. Get a sturdy line (550 cord will do in a pinch, but it will stretch) at least as long as your hammock, start with the sag set as you usually sleep, then lengthen the ridgeline a few inches as you go (shortening the sag) if this makes it worse, shorten the line. Or: start with a sag of near zero, & shorten from there till you find the sweet spot.
    You may also have a hammock that is too short. At 5' 7" my 8.5' long hammock is just longer (by about 1") than minimum length for me. A, 8' hammock would, I think, be unusable for me. For you, I would go for a minimum of 10' long or longer if you can find it.
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    BCUSA 10x10
    Insulation
    PLUQ perhaps
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Huggers
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by opie View Post
    How tight are you stringing your hammock up? In other words... do you have alot of sag or not so much? The tighter you string it, it more pressure points you create in the fabric.

I never had a problem getting comfy in a double nest. 6'3, 275.
    Think I'm stringing it with a fair bit of sag (too much maybe?). I have an improvised ridgeline on it at the moment. Tying that right on the stock suspension (where it exits the top of the hammock), I measure that to be just a bit over 97 inches. Think that's on the short side of the right ballpark but I could certainly be wrong about that.

From what it sounds like;
    I think as previously said you need to get the sag right and find tree's that aren't so close together! With your head to the right your left scapula would be almost in the middle of the hammock so to go off the previously noted without proper sag for "you" this causes tension through the center of the hammock (will have some even if the sag it set right) due to the way that the Eno's (and other's like it) are made, have you tried laying the opposite way? If not give it a try! If you still get the same feeling then it's they way the hammock is made that is causing the problem, setting the sag might alleviate this, and it might not!? The way your body is built the center tension that is on the fabric could be the cause by adding a pressure spot to the scapula area! If none of this works try a different hammock if you are able too, that has a different whipping!

Hope you get it worked out!!

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    BCUSA 10x10
    Insulation
    PLUQ perhaps
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Huggers
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctari View Post
    Also: hammock length?

My first impression would be to adjust the sag (Ie: my trees are too close) then add a ridgeline if possible to "set" the sag. Some like their sag much like this U others are closer to __ most are in between, & actually of all the hangers I know, mine is the "flatest" of the sags.
    Find trees at least 1 foot farther apart than the length of your hammock. Get a sturdy line (550 cord will do in a pinch, but it will stretch) at least as long as your hammock, start with the sag set as you usually sleep, then lengthen the ridgeline a few inches as you go (shortening the sag) if this makes it worse, shorten the line. Or: start with a sag of near zero, & shorten from there till you find the sweet spot.
    You may also have a hammock that is too short. At 5' 7" my 8.5' long hammock is just longer (by about 1") than minimum length for me. A, 8' hammock would, I think, be unusable for me. For you, I would go for a minimum of 10' long or longer if you can find it.
    It's an unmodified (but for the improvised ridge line) ENO Doublenest. Just measured it and it appears to be about 9' long, maybe a hair over.

I can see I'm going to need to play w/ ridgeline length a bit. I took mine off in the process of measuring stuff and that flattened it out a fair bit. Tried it like that and in that brief experiment, it did seem a bit more comfie. Interesting.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast