WBBB (1.7,1.1) Nx-200 and ENO DN
    Tarp
    Superfly and MJ
    Insulation
    Pad and HG UQ
    Suspension
    Straps with mods

NX-200 initial test hang

I arrived home today after work to the unnatural parting of clouds and a ray of sunshine throwing a shaft of light illuminating a white box left on my front porch. As I got closer, I could feel it's warm glow and I swear I could hear angels singing.

Could it be?!! "Yesssssss!" (pumps fist)

It was here! I took it out to my test area in the backyard and quickly looked over everything, having read the pre-downloaded and printed manual for three days now.

I went about setting it up. I have to admit, it took a while to get it all sorted out. I'm glad I'm not the kind to run out for a weekend on the trail thinking I'm going to have a breeze of a time with it and then have the skies open up with the fury of an angry God. Because that's exactly what would have happened. It's nice to have a controlled open area and a time set aside to just tinker with gear at first.I've helped set one up before and have seen the system, so that helped also.

First, the hardware:
    It seems really well made with extra support where I thought it would need it. Upon flipping it around and getting it ready, I was glad a lot of thought was put into the stress points.

The pockets:
    I was amazed at how big they are and could see how much gear you could possibly stuff in them. Much bigger than I expected. Plenty of velcro also, to keep them shut.

The fly:
    Impressive and certainly big enough. There are two additional tie outs on the foot end it looks like? Anyone verify this? Also, I would hope that the end of the hammock stays protected from rain? It seemed to come up short and I attribute this to my Clark hanging noobness.

The hammock:
    I'm glad I went with the bigger NX. I'm 6 ft tall and 187 lbs. I would not want to go any smaller. I think at first, I had it too tight as I didn't zip the bug netting as it seemed to stress it a little too much. I loosened it to take the stress off and the netting was really tight around me. I'll play with this before trying again. I found four loop tabs along the sides of the hammock....any clue what they are for? There are also two loop tabs up at the ends of the netting. I'm thinking for the addition of an internal ridgeline to hold stuff?

Fit:
    Not too impressed for right now. I adjusted a few times and could not get a flat lay (I'm not expecting really flat like a Mayan style hammock, but flat enough for sleep comfort). The sides really squeezed my shoulders more than I think they should. This I will have to play with a few times. Once again, I'm glad I went bigger. After a while, I figured I would have to learn all of my "sweet spots" for a good pitch on this system because every little adjustment made a difference. I'll get it, but it will take a few hangs.

Storage bag:
    I first started to roll up my hammock and thought, "There's no way this is fitting in that bag", but it actually went in quite easily.

So, all in all, I've got some things to work on. I think my HH Expedition sets up a lot faster, but then again, I've had that for 5 years and I'm used to it. I really think I'll come to like this a whole lot after some practice and I hang it enough to want to fully try out zipping everything tight and eventually hang overnight in it.....
    ....sometime very soon!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator+Burrow
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckles

Tight fit...

The tight fit was an issue for me as well. I originally purchased a NA, and ended up trading it in for a NX-150 because it was too tight around the shoulders. The NX-150 is definitely wide enough for me. Those little poles definitely seem to make a difference.

On the setup, it'll get quicker. I'm almost always the first up at a campout now.

Hammock
    Clark NX-200
    Tarp
    Clark XL-Fly
    Insulation
    KAQ NR UQ/AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Strap/cinch buckle
    Quote: "There are two additional tie outs on the foot end it looks like?"
    Yes, they are tie-out points for the tarp. I am sure that you noticed the velcro on the inside of the tarp at the foot end. You can use the to tie-out points and velcro to form a closed end that will keep the foot end of the hammock dry in "most" weather.

Quote: "I found four loop tabs along the sides of the hammock....any clue what they are for?"
    The tabs are for opening the body of the hammock, up if you have to you is as a bivy on the ground, or at least that is what I read from a previous poster when I first got my NX-200. It will keep the netting off of your face and body. I use them to attach part of my KAQ UQ suspension to the hammock to get a un-vented UQ during the "winter" time we have here in Alabama!!!!

Quote: "There are also two loop tabs up at the ends of the netting. I'm thinking for the addition of an internal ridgeline to hold stuff?
    Yes that is what I used them for. Take some shock cord and tie it to each loop. Don't use a regular type cordage. If you have the hammock suspension strung to tight and regular cordage for a IRL you run the risk of breaking the bungee section of the tarp rigging when you get in the hammock. I tied the foot end loop first, got in the hammock and then tied the head end loop. This way I had the hammock loaded, and I mean loaded brother!!!!!!, and there was no chance of the SC reaching its max stretch.

I hope this helps and the sweet spot can be several hangs away before you really find it!
    Par Si Vis Pace Para Bellum

Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly and MJ
    Insulation
    Pad and HG UQ
    Suspension
    Straps with mods
    Ok...thanks for the reply full of answers!

Another thing. Is there any specific or recommended way to enter the hammock? What I mean is, are you supposed to have everything zipped up but the one side you'll be getting in? Is there any combination of flaps and netting being up or down that puts stress on the hammock when exiting or entering?

I'd hope to be able to open up as little as possible during bug season, get in and just have enough get in with me to only chew half my face off. (we have a few blackflies and skeeters here in the upper midwest ) I would hate to have everything open too long.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    I think that you are hanging the Clark without enough sag. The comments of too tight in shoulders, stress on netting, etc are all symptons of not enough sag. The HH usually can be hung with less sag than needed due to having a structural ridgeline. When you have the Clark with the correct amount of sag it may look like too much after using the HH for years. You are right that a little adjustment makes a huge difference. Start with moving the suspension ropes as high as you can reach for most hangs.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    Thanks for the review Lorax... Im quite looking forward to getting mine.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly and MJ
    Insulation
    Pad and HG UQ
    Suspension
    Straps with mods
    Quote Originally Posted by hangnout View Post
    I think that you are hanging the Clark without enough sag. The comments of too tight in shoulders, stress on netting, etc are all symptons of not enough sag. The HH usually can be hung with less sag than needed due to having a structural ridgeline. When you have the Clark with the correct amount of sag it may look like too much after using the HH for years. You are right that a little adjustment makes a huge difference. Start with moving the suspension ropes as high as you can reach for most hangs.
    Everything said in your post seems to be what I have experienced with both models. On my next hang, I'm going to really throw some sag into the Clark and also play with the weathershield and netting a little more.
    Thanks!

Hammock
    Clark NX-200
    Tarp
    Clark XL-Fly
    Insulation
    KAQ NR UQ/AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Strap/cinch buckle
    As far as getting in the hammock.........I leave one side completely zipped up, this can be just the netting or the netting and WS. The side that is open I usually will unzip to the footend of the hammock before the zipper turns up to the top of the bugnet. Flip up the excess over the bungee IRL and sit into the hammock. Rotate body to get feet into the hammock and then zip everything up.
    Par Si Vis Pace Para Bellum

Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly and MJ
    Insulation
    Pad and HG UQ
    Suspension
    Straps with mods
    Still playing with it this weekend here and there between things. It's getting better and better.

• + New Posts