Eno single
    Tarp
    poly
    Insulation
    pad
    Suspension
    rings straps

JRB BMBH first impressions on "noob" pics coming soon

Hey everyone... I guess that I am new here (just now setting up an account but have been gleaning info for over a month. I wanted to let everyone know about my experiences as a hammock “noob” and the gear that I have selected. First some brief background info.... I have been camping for many years now (Im 25) mainly car camping but a few overnight trips in the woods.. no serious backpacking. I have gotten interested in hammocks due to a lot of buzz from people I meet in the woods and on the river. I just now got into kayaking and getting my roll down and having some fun on some runs here in NE Alabama. I thought a hammock would be great due to the small size and weight of a hammock and no poles to deal with (could fit in a small dry bag to fit in the kayak) for the potential of overnigth paddling trips. I have done a significant amount of research on hammocks now ( thanks shug for your awesome vids)and went with the Bear Mountain Bride by jacks r better. Of course I set it up as soon as I got home from work in the back yard, however I was getting murdered by mosquitoes and made setting up very frustrating (it being my first time to set up a hammock). After I figured out the Tri glides set up was pretty quick and easy. Now a quick review of pros and cons I have about it after hanging in the back yard for an hour...

Pros:
    -easy set up after you figure everything out ex. strap height, tree distance, tri glides
    -maybe 2 min or less with practice
    -felt comfortable when laying in the hammock, on my side and back.
    -Packs down pretty small (without poles and bug net)
    -pocket for pad on bottom
    -adjustable gear pocket
    -removable bug net
    -came with ultra light weight blow up pillow
    -lots of room in the hammock for gear
    -could slide up and use as lounge chair
    -could use as chair hanging over the side
    -bug net hangs pretty far from your face (didn't really feel claustrophobic)
    -lots of squirm room

Cons:
    -Poles ( subject to bending or losing on trail)
    -Very cocoon like (cant see your peripherals when lying down)
    -Feels unstable when sitting up ( might get used to with time)
    -Not quite sure the best way to put on bug net ( omni tape kinda annoying) suggestions?
    -Have I mentioned that I am not sold on omni tape

Theres probably more that I can think of but not right now... This is just my impressions after about an hour in the backyard.. The mosquitoes were so bad there were some that got trapped in the bug net with me when I put it on... I think that I am happy with it, but not 100% sold yet.. guess I need to get it out in the woods. There are trade off with everything I saw between the hammocks on the market and I thought this hammock covered a lot of bases. I will probably do some pics tomorrow and maybe a vid (depending on misquotes). I have not decided on a tarp yet but am seriously lookin into a MacCat or Warbonnet (again suggestions?). Hope this might help some people out there lookin at getting into one of these. Ill keep yall posted
    Last edited by RollTide; 05-12-2010 at 23:13.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    Welcome.. The BMBH is a good choice if you like a flat lay like in a bed.

I dont think youll bend the poles unless you use them to move yourself around while in the hammock. You shouldnt do that.

Stability is a little different than in a gathered end hammock... but youll get used to it. A gathered end hammock will also allow you to lay more fetal like, if thats how you roll.

If you dont like the omni tape, Send it off to 2Q and they will replace the omni tape with zippers. You can find their forum down in the gear manufacturers section further down the site.

I think Im going to bypass the bugnet that came with mine altogether and go with one like the ENO or Warbonnet bug net. Something that envelopes the hammock rather than just cover the top.

Hammock
    Eno single
    Tarp
    poly
    Insulation
    pad
    Suspension
    rings straps
    Opie,

Thanks for the info (lookin in to some of them fancy tarp tensioners of yours)... not sure if im ready to do the zipper mod or commit to a ridge line to hang the bug net... really need to get it out in the woods and see what works for me and doesnt. I can still curl up pretty good in to a quasi fetal position (if thats a real term), like i said in the Pros there is some wiggle room to get situated comfortably. I dont see me bending the poles, however I felt like i needed to account the fact that it is a possibility, opposed to a gathered end where thats not even an issue. Maybe ill get some pics up tomorrow if the skeeters dont eat me alive first (at 5:30 when i get home there pretty active). Also if you want to throw any input on some tarp possibilities that would be great.. lookin at Warbonnet or MacCat (i like the side panel pull outs for extra room). Ill keep yall posted

Hammock
    none
    Tarp
    none
    I think my solution to the bug net issue is just not to use one at all. I've got a thermacell and bug repellent. A few weeks ago, at Hot Springs, everyone else was getting bothered by black flies. I must stink to black flies or something because they swarmed me for about 10 minutes then went away.

The best thing about a thermacell is that if it's windy enough that the thermacell isn't being effective, it's probably blowing the bugs all around and they're not bothering me. If neither work, I'm in the same camp as opie. I don't mind the bit of extra weight. I'll run a non-structural line from one ring buckle to the other and drape the bug netting over it.

The stability issues you have will not really go away. You'll just get used to it. I thought I was going to flip myself out of my BMBH when I first slept in it, but no matter what i did, I couldn't flip it over. I think if I actually tried to, I could end up in the dirt.
    I have heard your confession I know who you blame
    If you had it all back you'd just lose it again
    Can't bank on redemption if you ain't saved
    Don't bring me your tales of temptation and loss
    Don't bring me the pieces of your shattered cross

-- Stuart Adamson

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    You could always go the thermacell route like fulminated mentioned. I HATE bugs and may give a thermacell a try this year.

Tarps... Im partial to Backwoods Day Dreamer. But really you cant go wrong with any of them... They are all top notch guys to work with the their craftmanship is flawless.

Hammock
    Eno single
    Tarp
    poly
    Insulation
    pad
    Suspension
    rings straps
    I dont see me really using the bug net that often... most of my camping is in the fall or early spring and the are very few .... Its almost to hot in the summer to camp in AL but there are a few cool nights that make for some really nice camping. Bugs are really only a problem in the late afternoon for a couple of hours or if you are in a pretty swampy area. Im satisfied with the design and some of the features just not sold on omni tape. Really just need to get in the trees for a night and see how it goes. Thanks for the input

Hammock
    none
    Tarp
    none
    I've never tried any of Brandon's offerings from Warbonnet, but I will suggest that, if you decide to go with a MacCat, you get one that's custom. Get it with less of a steep cut from the ridge line to the corner tie-outs. I suggest this because even my MacCat ultra comes close to not providing enough coverage. It's my fair weather tarp. When foul weather is expected, my go-to tarp is the JRB 11 x 10 cat tarp.

It's honkin huge and it's rectangularish. The sides are cat cut while the ends are straight.
    I have heard your confession I know who you blame
    If you had it all back you'd just lose it again
    Can't bank on redemption if you ain't saved
    Don't bring me your tales of temptation and loss
    Don't bring me the pieces of your shattered cross

-- Stuart Adamson

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RollTide View Post

Cons:

-Not quite sure the best way to put on bug net ( omni tape kinda annoying) suggestions?
    -Have I mentioned that I am not sold on omni tape
    Here is how I ended up making the net pretty tolerable:

When I pack the hammock up, I usually make sure the bug net is covering every thing and "sealed" up along all of the omni tape. Then when I set up again, I pull the net tight like a ridge line, then back off a couple of inches. Then I fold the net towards the foot end, like pulling a sheet or blanket down on a bed, leaving enough room on the head end for me to sit down and get in. Once in, I just reach down and pull the net to the head end and attach to the head end omni tape. Pretty much done.

Mostly I don't bother sticking the omni tape together ( on the sides near my upper body) until I am ready to go to sleep. The net is big enough to drape over the sides, making tight enough contact to keep bugs out so far. Other than the ones that might follow you in as you are sitting down.

Sometimes I try to open just enough of the net to get my head in. But it seems like I usually end up pulling some of it loos from the omni tape when I go that route.

Hammock
    Eno single
    Tarp
    poly
    Insulation
    pad
    Suspension
    rings straps
    Well from what im hearing I am not the only one who feels this design is kinda a double edge sword... very easily removable, but not great way to attach it. The method i tried today was to attach everything but where i get in the middle on one side and kinda slide in underneath it and then try it pinch up when i entered... I guess its just a matter of getting over the fact you arent going to get a perfect seal.... if your that concerned, probably should go with a hammock with built in net or go with eno guardian style... I have seen those thermacell things but never gave them much credit but from the quick research i have done everyone loves them, any more info on those things would be great. If anybody else has any tips with this hammock i would be very appreciative of the the input... i want to thank everyone for the info so far and look forward to creating a hammock system that works for me...

Hammock
    JRB Bridge and WBBB 1.0 DBL
    Tarp
    Mamajamba SpinnUL
    Insulation
    Gossamer Gear 1/4"
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings!
    I love my Bridge but a few things you might become aware of so I will just post em.

The Tri-Glides are a pain in the butt. I chopped off the webbing and went to tree straps and Whoopie Slings. SO much easier.

You need a big tarp for these hammocks. The JRB 11x10 is a good choice. The spreader bars make it so you can't really make a storm taco like you can with a gathered end hammock. You need a tarp with some good coverage for the shallower pitches that the spreader bars demand.

I am very happy down to 40 degrees with a GG thinlite pad cut to fit the 26" pocket. About 5 ounces for an UQ is darn good. The extra weight you have to add for the tarp is saved here.

Great comfy sleeping hammock. I love mine!
    Bleemus

Yes, I sleep in a hammock. Please pass the Grey Poupon.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast