Hammock for TALL & BIG folks...

I'm looking for suggestions towards a hammock to handle me - 6'6" and 285 pounds. I'm not looking for a Doublenest/Doublebliss-type as I'd rather the netting be incorporated into the hammock itself. Carry weight is an issue - the lighter the better.

I wanted to get input on the Hennessey Deep Jungle XL, which is Tom's new long version but it is lighter than others he sells which will hold my weight and size. I'm curious about how it stacks up against the HH ASym Deluxe and Blackbird. I've owned two Blackbirds, returned one and sold the other. I may be going that route again. Otherwise I've tried hammocks from The Travel Hammock, Mosquito Hammock, ENO, and others which didn't work for me.

Thanks.

Hammock
    1.1 DL Traveler
    Tarp
    Etowah 8x10
    Insulation
    AHE Lost River
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    The Switchback would most definitely hold you and provides different lay than the blackbird. What didn't you like about the blackbird lay?
    Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith (Hebrews 12:2)

Hammock
    WB BB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    MacCat Dlx SpinnUL
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    The Switchback is quite spacious with a different "lay" than a WBBB. I personally prefer the WBBB, but that's very much a "YMMV" thing.

Since you've tried and passed over the WBBB, the Switchback may be worth a try. You could also try a DIY WB Traveler made a foot longer than the standard 10'. Brandon might even be willing to make a longer one for you.
    "The more I carry the happier I am in camp; the less I carry the happier I am getting there" - Sgt. Rock

Hammock for TALL & BIG Folks...

I looked at the Switchback, but I've never seen it up close. Does it lay like a bridge or is it a standard diagonal lay? Brandon did offer to make a longer Traveler and he seems to think that’s my best option. Knowing little about hammocks and preferring an all-in-one system with integrated netting, I really don’t want the hammock in a shell of netting. Is there someone who could add the netting over a fixed ridgeline and add some zippers like the WB or HH’s?

Hammock
    WB BB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    MacCat Dlx SpinnUL
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    The Switchback is a diagonal lay hammock and is not like a bridge. It will be "similar" to a WBBB though not identical.

If a longer Traveler would work in terms of comfort/lay/etc., then it would at least answer the question of getting a good night's sleep. Solving the bug net problem could then take on the dimension of a smaller, though non-trivial problem to be resolved by some custom sewing.
    "The more I carry the happier I am in camp; the less I carry the happier I am getting there" - Sgt. Rock

Hammock
    Dutch Half Zip
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/ doors
    Insulation
    HG 40degree quilts
    Suspension
    whoppie slings
    I'd look at the Claytor as well.
    "The mountains are calling and I must go."
    John Muir

“I only went out for a walk and finally concluded to stay out till sundown, for going out, I found, was really going in.”
    John Muir

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by regultr View Post
    I'm looking for suggestions towards a hammock to handle me - 6'6" and 285 pounds. I'm not looking for a Doublenest/Doublebliss-type as I'd rather the netting be incorporated into the hammock itself. Carry weight is an issue - the lighter the better.

I wanted to get input on the Hennessey Deep Jungle XL, which is Tom's new long version but it is lighter than others he sells which will hold my weight and size. I'm curious about how it stacks up against the HH ASym Deluxe and Blackbird. I've owned two Blackbirds, returned one and sold the other. I may be going that route again. Otherwise I've tried hammocks from The Travel Hammock, Mosquito Hammock, ENO, and others which didn't work for me.

Thanks.
    Regultr,

I laid in the New Deep Jungle HH when a custommer came to JRB to get a under qult at TD...And I have spent considerable time testing UQs on both the Switchback and the Blackbird.

First all are great hammocks.

IMO, the HHDJ XL will lay the flattest, new top loading zipper is convient, the TTG Switchback is a close second on flatness and it is easily the most spacious of the three when the bugnet is in use, double opening bug net sides is great when there are no bugs.

Check their respective return policies, but I believe all of them will let you test and return, in a reasonable period, if it does not work for you.

Also recommend you call each manufacturer for any specific detail questions...Two are relatively to brand new, so details and experiance of forum members is pretty limited.

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    DIY Speer type
    Tarp
    OES spin deluxe
    Insulation
    Te-wa UQ
    Suspension
    Rings and straps
    Hey Regultr
    Glad to see you're looking into hammocks again. Hope you find one that works for you. How was the AT trip in April?
    We live in a fast-paced society. Walking slows us down. ~Robert Sweetgall

Quote Originally Posted by regultr View Post
    I'm looking for suggestions towards a hammock to handle me - 6'6" and 285 pounds.
    I'm 6'4", 255#, and my shoulders are 26"+. I ordered a Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock the other day and I'll be giving the big guy's perspective as soon as it comes in.

Boris

• + New Posts