WBBB, WBRR, WL Snipe
    Tarp
    OES10x12catcutSpin
    Insulation
    Yeti,HG
    Suspension
    webbing
    Images
    Just made it back. Sorry to hear about the knee Jerry, hope it heals fast. It was slick in there I fell on my *** four times, luckily no injuries just bruised butt and ego. We hiked almost to Pinchin before meeting up with Hawkeye and Ken, they told us about Jerry's mishap and the other group had probably turned around and would be behind us. So we turned and headed back. we met up with Shug and Hickery at the camp from the fall hang, Stormcrow showed up and hour later. Had a great time. The other group didn't show up until the morning.

Hammock
    DIY of the Day
    Tarp
    DIY of the Day
    Insulation
    DIY PLoft/IX-UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    WS or Spyder Line
    Images
    Jerry,

Sorry you missed out. A wild time was had by ALL. Trip report and photos to follow.

Right now Aleve, more ice, a cold beer, and rest is what my battered body needs. (not to mention emptying my pack of everything that has been soaked in sweat or rain for the last three days)

To all who made it - Whoo-Hoo what a ride!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks to all for making it happen

Here's a little teaser - Profile of the hike start to finish.

Last edited by Running Feather; 05-18-2010 at 04:41.
    2015 John Rock Spreadsheet.

"If you find yourself in a hole, the first thing you should do is STOP DIGGING "

"Hammock Guys" on Shortoff Mountain Trail in Linville Gorge

Many thanks to the "Hammock Guys" Hedcase, Skippy, Cookie, Nooner, Capt Bill, Hangin' Burrito and Running Feather I met on Linville Gorge Shortoff Mountain Trail. They made a convert to the hammock system of backpacking.

Hammock
    DIY of the Day
    Tarp
    DIY of the Day
    Insulation
    DIY PLoft/IX-UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    WS or Spyder Line
    Images

Welcome

Quote Originally Posted by Traverse View Post
    Many thanks to the "Hammock Guys" Hedcase, Skippy, Cookie, Nooner, Capt Bill, Hangin' Burrito and Running Feather I met on Linville Gorge Shortoff Mountain Trail. They made a convert to the hammock system of backpacking.
    Glad you came aboard. Hammock hanging won't let you down (Doh!).

"If you find yourself in a hole, the first thing you should do is STOP DIGGING "

Hammock
    WarBonnet BB 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe Spin
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniv + Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoppie Slingin'
    Hope you heal up jerry! I tore some ligaments in my right knee, took me a year to recover. =( hope yours is faster.

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    Soundwitness and I got to enjoy a lovely light show Friday night while hiking on the ridge between Tablerock and Shortoff. Now I'm gonna have to see if I can remember what all I promised when I was praying through the lightning bolts.

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by _Tinker_ View Post
    Thanks guys. I'm thinking mid to late October would be perfect. About the same time as last year. The leaves are changing, cool weather.
    Jerry
    Please can we not make it the weekend of October 1-2-3, Im getting married on the Third and I dont think my Fiance will let me go hanging that weekend . Late October would be awesome just my 2 cents Gland it sounds like every one had fun and made it back safley. Looking forward to some pictures.
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

Hammock
    DIY of the Day
    Tarp
    DIY of the Day
    Insulation
    DIY PLoft/IX-UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    WS or Spyder Line
    Images

Blame HB

Quote Originally Posted by wisenber View Post
    Soundwitness and I got to enjoy a lovely light show Friday night while hiking on the ridge between Tablerock and Shortoff. Now I'm gonna have to see if I can remember what all I promised when I was praying through the lightning bolts.
    That must have been Glorious, watching Mother Nature strut her stuff, while puckering of certain body parts in others.

Blame HB. He quoted lieutenant Dan (Forest Gump) from under his tarp, "You call this a storm?"
    Last edited by Running Feather; 05-17-2010 at 05:04.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Speer SWT
    Insulation
    hammockgear.com
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Jerry, I was very sorry to hear of your mishap. I hope you are healing quickly and have no lasting problems. Sure did miss getting to see you.

Hawk-Eye, Jim and I started down Pinchin just after 9am on Saturday. It became hot almost immediately. Jim carried his shears and clipped weeds and briars back all the way. Hawk-Eye had some problems, but I'll let him explain that. Things were better after entering the woods near the river and we soon
    started north.

We had info that the main group "might" have turned around and would be coming south, but didn't really know anything for sure. Information is hard to come by in the wilderness!! We saw a few folks camping along the river. They had not seen the group. We continued north.

I was climbing up out of a gully and ran into to two hikers moving south. They asked if we were camping in hammocks. I said, "you must be Cooldays and EagleJ". It was, but we still didn't know where the main group was.
    I said that they might be coming from the north. They decided to hike back that way as far as last October's camp. That was probably bad advice on my part, but things worked out.

A bit later we were navigating another little canyon and here comes Stormcrow in hyper-hike mode from behind us. He informs that the group is indeed coming from the south and soon we are caught up to by Hanging Burrito, Running Feather, Hedcase and Skippy. We were then a few tenths of a mile from some of the camps in between Pinchin and Conley. Everyone was ready to camp, so we used those. A little later, CapitalBill, Cookie, Slowhike, Nooner and Mtncmpr all rolled in. Cooldays and EagleJ had gone on north, but I knew Stormcrow was up that way, and they'd probably hook up. Turns out Shug and Hickery (fruitcake!!) camped with them too!

So, things were a bit chaotic, but as we all know, the great outdoors can really mess with your plans.

Sunday morning Slowhike's friend Jerome came hiking in. He'd spent the night south of Pinchin at Dellinger Chimney.

Jim and I packed up and were ready to hike out Conley about lunchtime. Jerome hiked with us to catch a ride back to Pinchin. At the "Halloween Camp" we ran into Stormcrow, Hickery and Shug. Had some good conversation with them. Shug and Hickery were really in good spirits and seemed to have had a great week in the gorge. I'm sure great stories and videos are to come out of that. After shaking hands and saying goodbyes we started up Conley and parted for home.

My hat is off to all you guys who made the entire loop. I don't think my feet would have made it. You're all Gorge Rats, and I say that in the most complimentary way! Can't wait to hear everyones story. Tell us what Linville threw at you, and how you dealt with it.

Thanks for kicking it off Jerry. See you on the next one!

Ken
    Last edited by Ken; 05-17-2010 at 05:40. Reason: sp
    http://www.linvillegorge.net

"You can't hem up a Rat!" Malcom Johnson, ca. 1970

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Sorry to hear about your injury. Hope you're mending quickly. Glad you got to take some pictures of everyone though. I wasn't able to make it because of my wedding anniversary. Maybe next time.

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast