DIY
    Tarp
    diy
    Insulation
    IX
    Suspension
    whoopie

Stuff sack size

I'm hopefully going to be starting on making a bunch of gear in which stuff sacks will be needed. In trying to figure out the size to make them. I pondered because of how I may end up transporting them. I have a thought of making a pack similar in design to the MacPac or what ever MacEntyre's pack is called where the SS will be lashed to a frame of sort. So I thought if the SS were all the equal lengths to be lashed horizontally to the pack they would have to be of differant diameters to fit the specific item. I have various left over sizes of PVC pipe. I thought I would cut the diff diameters of pipe to the length applicable for the pack. Then I could stand the various sizes of pipe on end on the floor and try to stuff the item in. When I found the best one then I could use the pipes measurments to determine the SS size. How do you all determine the SS size? I can use a tape measure or micromiter all day but don't ask me to use a formula.

Hammock
    not quite eno..
    Tarp
    10x12 DIY
    Insulation
    insultex+momentum
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    if you can multiply by 3 that should be good enough. (pi to within 5 %)
    So, measure across the pipe- multiply by three (and add 1 inch for seams)for the width of the fabric rectangle,
    then measure the height of the pipe for the height of the bag, add 3 inches for base and cord channel, and you are done.
    I am guessing you are using the 'H-base' design from thru-hiker.com as that is the one I am most familiar with.
    HTH, KM

Hammock
    DIY 11' double layer 1.1
    Tarp
    huge DIY camo
    Insulation
    DIY 9oz. Primaloft
    Suspension
    7/64"whoopie sling
    What I do for my hammock sacks is stuff them in a plastic grocery bag, and then compress it however much I want to, then measure the circumference and go from there. I've found that anything smaller than a 15" circumference is kinda hard to stuff my big hand into.

Acer
    It's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Formerly known as Acercanto, my trail name is MacGuyver to some, and Pucker Factor to others.

It's not procrastinating, its proactively delaying the implementation of the energy-intensive phase of the project until the enthusiasm factor is at its maximum effectiveness. - Randy Glasbergen

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    diy
    Insulation
    IX
    Suspension
    whoopie
    KerMegan. I haven't been on thru-hiker in a while. I'll have to check it out. Its just a compilation of bits and pieces from things I've used ,seen,read about,etc in my head. I have a WW11 H harness load out I use for airsoft I like. Then I've used various styles of buttpacks over the years for hunting and day hikes. Then of course there is the traditional backpacks I've used. A while back I almost made a BP. But after trying various packs on at REI we decided to just get my wife a mens Osprey Aether with a extra womens harness. So when I read about the Mac Pac some things just clicked in my head. Self said hey you have that extra set of shoulder straps. Why not combine all the above into something. I'm going to be busy for a while.

• + New Posts