Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I love rain......now.

In my tent camping days I hated camping in the rain. But not that I have my Clarks, I love camping in the rain.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7Dbl
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JrB TQ/UQ,Crownest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Yeah, me too. Between weather and rocks/roots; ALL of my complaints about camping are eliminated by hammocking.
    I ride a recumbent.
    I like to HAM it up on the CW.
    I use Linux.
    I play go.
    Of course I sleep in a hammock!

Rug.

Hang On!

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverpirate View Post
    In my tent camping days I hated camping in the rain. But not that I have my Clarks, I love camping in the rain.
    yep!! weatherman said we should get rain last night so I hung up my hammock in the backyard. I never miss a chance to test something or to just lay in my hammock listening to the rain hit the tarp.

TinaLouise

Hammock
    HH ULBA
    Tarp
    OES MC D
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Now, I'm not knockin hammocks, but I have to say that I'm a little disappointed. I set myself up with a real nice kit thinkin it'd be perfect for these mountains in Japan. It's next to impossible to find a tent spot. My only problem is that the woods here are so thick that I still have trouble finding spots. There's bamboo everywhere. Often I have to take off my pack squeeze through them myself.
    You can get much farther with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone. -- Al Capone

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB DL 1.1 & Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images
    Hey Highstrung; Sorry to hear about your disappointment. Yea the bamboo forests are going to be difficult , just too close together. It does take a little while to readjust our thinking from tent sites to hang sites. Are you in the south or the north,,you near the alps?. I'm sure after a while you'll find some spots you like to revisit.
    " The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it."

“The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty
    Tarp
    HG dyneema/MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    My only problem is that the woods here are so thick that I still have trouble finding spots. There's bamboo everywhere. Often I have to take off my pack squeeze through them myself.

And if you hack off enough bamboo to make an area to hang, then that hacked bamboo grows through your backside over night, right?! Isn't that some kind of torture technique? YIKES!

P.S. I love the rain.

Rain Man

I got home this afternnon and it started to rain. I took off out the door with the wife asking "Where are you going?" "To hang" I replied. This is becoming a habit.

Hammock
    HH ULBA
    Tarp
    OES MC D
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Yeah, I will admit that I'm probably missing out on some good sites just due to my inexperience. I think anybody would have at least a little trouble here though. The hills and mountains are VERY steep so you really are limited to the peaks and valleys. The peaks are bare and the valleys are so thick you can't hang. I live in the Yokosuka area. It's a few hours south of Tokyo.

Not to mention. Camping at all is frowned upon here except for in campgrounds which are few and far between and every single trail I've been on is hiked HEAVILY, so you're kinda forced to get off trail which, again, is pretty difficult in dense bamboo thickets and steep hillsides.

One time, a buddy and I tried to follow a stream bed up the mountain to find a secluded spot. We had climbing rope and basically climbed the way you would a rock wall. We hit a cliff and had to turn back, belaying each other down about 20 feet at a time. We ended up just setting up after dark and tried to get packed up before daylight. We made it, but there were already hikers and trail runners on the trail that early. It's cool. In September, I'm being transferred to Bangor, WA. Heaven for the outdoor enthusiast.
    You can get much farther with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone. -- Al Capone

Hammock
    Warbonnet Traveler/Blackbird
    Tarp
    HMG Cuben
    Insulation
    CrowsNest & IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    I've converted more people to hanging during rainy backpacking trips than just about any other time. Watching me lounge around and then pack up my gear in dry comfort while they crawl out of their rainy cave and huddle around in the rain is a powerful contrast.

Quote Originally Posted by TinaLouise View Post
    yep!! weatherman said we should get rain last night so I hung up my hammock in the backyard. I never miss a chance to test something or to just lay in my hammock listening to the rain hit the tarp.

TinaLouise
    BWAHAHA!!!

Last night I was in my room working on the laptop reclined in bed (writing my novel) I didn't have any music on and I heard the TV in the living room "...with showers expected early morning before sunrise"

*click* *save* *power off*

Jumped out of bed grabbed the hammock pack and out the back door. On the way out my dad goes "they just said it was gonna rain during the night."
    "I know! I heard! wooohooo"

The only thing better than the rain was the snow in the single digits!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast