DIY
    Tarp
    diy
    Insulation
    IX
    Suspension
    whoopie

Compare

As a noob I have been in a search for a design to make for a side sleeper with a 25yr old auto back injury. Now this could change if comfort eliminated the pain. But on my Select Comfort bed with a 2" memory foam pad at some point in the night I switch sides. I'm sometime in fetal or capt morgan style with pillows between legs. The WBBB kept coming up as most comfortable for fetal sleepers. The length and whip was a noted factor for its comfort. That the footbox dosen't affect the lay just the diagonal. The BB would be a little more complicated to make and I have concern about the footbox being a lefty or righty. I'm actually mixed laterally. I noticed a few people that have the BB also tried the Switchback but some sold them later on(switchback search). Correct me if I'm wrong that the BB is 65" x 120" with a channeled and rolled over whip. The Switchback is 52" x 120" with a channeled but gathered whip. My question for those people who have had both a BB and a Switchback is which was more comfortable for a fetal sleeper and why? Those with a Switchback did you ever try the WB whip on it ? I hope this was the right place to pose this question.

Hammock
    WarBonnet BB 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe Spin
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniv + Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoppie Slingin'
    Quote Originally Posted by tasthree View Post
    As a noob I have been in a search for a design to make for a side sleeper with a 25yr old auto back injury. Now this could change if comfort eliminated the pain. But on my Select Comfort bed with a 2" memory foam pad at some point in the night I switch sides. I'm sometime in fetal or capt morgan style with pillows between legs. The WBBB kept coming up as most comfortable for fetal sleepers. The length and whip was a noted factor for its comfort. That the footbox dosen't affect the lay just the diagonal. The BB would be a little more complicated to make and I have concern about the footbox being a lefty or righty. I'm actually mixed laterally. I noticed a few people that have the BB also tried the Switchback but some sold them later on(switchback search). Correct me if I'm wrong that the BB is 65" x 120" with a channeled and rolled over whip. The Switchback is 52" x 120" with a channeled but gathered whip. My question for those people who have had both a BB and a Switchback is which was more comfortable for a fetal sleeper and why? Those with a Switchback did you ever try the WB whip on it ? I hope this was the right place to pose this question.
    IMO there is plenty of room in a blackbird to sleep on the left or right-ihave a right and i can sleep on the left anytime i want, im 5'9-10. I have a single and double layer, double layer is obviously flatter, but i sleep better on my side in the single because i get more "stuck" on my side whereas the flatter lay of the double causes me to roll over onto my back again. You can add an adjustable ridgeline to your blackbird by removing the original one-sounds hard, but if you can tie a shoe, you can do it. Use 1.75 zing it line. Make a fixed brummel on one end(see opies pictoral on a brummel), a whoppie sling on the other end. That way you will be able to adjust your sag as you see fit, more flat, or less flat.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird/Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/Lynx
    Images
    Another thing to consider is that you might be able to chance the whipping on the switchback. I haven't looked at one in person, so I'm not sure how they are whipped, but if it is truly a sewn channel, you could probably convert to a warbonnet style whip. Just another idea to muddy the waters

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustardman View Post
    Another thing to consider is that you might be able to chance the whipping on the switchback.
    They aren't whipped. It's just a sewn channel with cording running through it, like an ENO or Claytor.

It can be whipped in the WB fashion, and I did that to one of the prototypes as a test. The whipping mass winds up being a little bulky because of the number of rows of stitching on the channel, but that seemed to be the only drawback.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I'm not sure there is a whole lot of difference in comfort levels while in the fetal position between those two hammocks. If push came to shove and I simply had to pick, I'd probably opt for the Switchback only because the Blackbird does have a vertical wall next to you that the Switchback does not have. Well, that and it doesn't matter which end you curl up in, hence the name.

The Switchback's lesser width is sort of misleading. Just because of the way it's designed, it really doesn't feel any narrower than the Blackbirds. I'm sleeping in my Switchback this week anyway, so I'll give fetal a shot tonight and see how it goes compared to the Blackbird.
    Trust nobody!

• + New Posts