WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images

Newbie gear questions

Hello hammock experts,

apologies in advance for the very long post: I'm new to the world of hammocking and although I spent the last week reading through this forum, I still have loads of questions with regards to the equipment.

I came across hammocks when looking for a lightweight tent and immediately liked the idea. I'm now trying to figure out which hammock is the best for my needs, and which upgrades I should get. In a couple of months, I will hopefully be starting a trip around the world, which will obviously cover a lot of different countries and climates.

My two main concerns with regards to hammock camping are/were:

a) I'm sceptical that it is possible to always find a place to hang the hammock. Since most people said they always managed to find somewhere, and because it's possible to use the hammock as a ground shelter, too, I decided to go with the hammock and hope for the best.

b) I need to sleep warm. I'm frequently cold when camping, and the problem apparently is worse with a hammock.

I have a couple of weeks for testing my gear before starting the trip, but it's not too much time, and I would prefer to work things out as much as I can before going, and order everything I need now. Money is not so much of an issue; I figure that I will be using the hammock so much, that it will pay for itself, really. I prefer to spend a bit more in the beginning and not having to bother with anything later on.

With regards to weight: of course I would like to keep weight and volume down as much as I can, but I'm not a weight weenie. If it makes the trip more enjoyable, I'd rather carry some extra weight.

With this in mind, could you help me with the following questions?

1. Hammock model

I looked at different hammock makers and models, and from what I saw and read, I like the Hennessy Deep Jungle the best. Hennessy's customer support recommended to go for the XL version, since it provides more space and I would be using it so much.

Is there any other hammock that would be comparable (or better?), that I might have overlooked?

2. Tarp

It seems that many posters think it's a good idea to upgrade the tarp. I would go with a MacCat tarp; probably the Deluxe size, as I read that it might be adding difficulty to finding a place for pitching the hammock if the tarp is large. I'm not sure which material to go for - Silnylon or SpinnUL.

3. Bottom isolation

The Deep Jungle's system allows to use a mat between the bottom layers - but not the use of Hennessy's Supershelter. I will be taking a Therm-a-Rest with me in case I need to use the hammock on the ground.

Can anybody judge if the Therm-a-Rest together with the stock bubble pad will be enough for sleeping in temperatures around 0°C? I don't expect to do this often, but I think it will happen. Is it advisable to add an underquilt?

I also found that using a thin Windstopper jacket is as good if not better than a thick down jacket. It seems that blocking the wind makes all the difference. Has anybody experimented with windproof materials under the hammock? Would this maybe solve the problem? Which windproof materials would be best suited for this purpose, and where would I get them? It seems that a lot of materials are not available to individuals.

4. Top isolation

Not sure if I need this; I'm not planning to visit countries during winter time - but then you never know. Is it overkill to get it?

5. Sleeping bag

I haven't looked into this, yet. Up to now I have been using 2 blanket sleeping bags together. One is synthetic/silk, suitable for humid and warm climates, the other one down. I think both are rated for temperatures down to 10°C.

I don't like mummy bags, since I feel constricted, and it is difficult to control the temperature. With the rectangular shape I can simply use the bag as a blanket if it's hot. I also like the idea of having 2 bags, since I'm a lot more flexible. If it's cold, I use both; if it's warmer, I can use either one or the other, depending on the temperature.

Would this system still work with a hammock? Or should I better start shopping for a mummy bag? What has been working well for you - especially when versatility is needed?

6. Anything I forgot?

Apologies if any of my questions have already been covered in other posts.

Thanks for your help!

-hutzelbein

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by hutzelbein View Post

a) I'm sceptical that it is possible to always find a place to hang the hammock.

b) I need to sleep warm. I'm frequently cold when camping, and the problem apparently is worse with a hammock.

1. Hammock model
    I like the Hennessy Deep Jungle the best.

Is there any other hammock that would be comparable (or better?), that I might have overlooked?

2. Tarp

It seems that many posters think it's a good idea to upgrade the tarp. I would go with a MacCat tarp;

3. Bottom isolation

The Deep Jungle's system allows to use a mat between the bottom layers - b I will be taking a Therm-a-Rest with me
    sleeping in temperatures around 0°C? I don't expect to do this often, but I think it will happen. Is it advisable to add an underquilt?
    4. Top isolation

5. Sleeping bag

I haven't looked into this, yet. Up to now I have been using 2 blanket sleeping bags together. One is synthetic/silk, suitable for humid and warm climates, the other one down. I think both are rated for temperatures down to 10°C.

I don't like mummy bags

Would this system still work with a hammock?
    -hutzelbein
    did you check out the Blackbird hammock?? http://www.warbonnetoutdoors.com/
    make sure you compair it with the jungle hennessy.

as long as you're in the woods and there are "trees", you can find a place to hang. Now if you're above the tree line, you may need some way to attach to rocks. The only place I've camped at that I've not been able to hang is on the beach, no trees, no rocks. My hammock is able to "go to ground" but I've got to use my treking poles to hold up the netting & tarp.

all hammocks need something under them for insulation. Winter or cold temps need more insulation. Summer time, less. Under insulation can be adjusted for temps by tieing it either looser or tighter to the bottom of your hammock. This needs to be tested by you to see how much or how little insulation you will need. But you will need something. Putting your therm a rest between the bottom layers will usually be enough for most people, especially if you're only going to 32 degrees F.

Your number 4 & 5 are the same thing. a sleeping bag is top insulation. A mummy bag would be difficult to get into while inside a hammock. Your 2 blanket system would work very well inside a hammock, I think, better than the mummy bag.

I've found that if I've got more (like in overkill) insulation on the bottom, that I can use less on the top. If you've got the time, you'll need to test to see how low temps you can sleep comfortable in. As long as you know that, you can always remove insulation for warmer temps.

good luck in your search... and testing!! and your upcoming trip

TinaLouise

Here are some idea's for you;
    1. There are alot of other hammocks to choose from, but two that regularly come up are the WBBB http://warbonnetoutdoors.com/blackbirds.php and the
    JRB BMBH http://www.jacksrbetter.com/BMBH.htm

2. Spinn is lighter than Sil, nosier than sil, will not stretch when wet like sil, but either will provide the protection from the element's that you would need! You might want to consider if you are going to be out in winter conditions to get a slightly larger tarp with a way to close up the ends as the colder it get's the more isolated you can be from the element's (wind especially) the more comfortable you can/will be! But the MC Deluxe can and would work but I would suggest getting door's or Grizz Beaks so you can close off the end's!

3. Most CCF pads won't take you to the temp's you are stating and not sure which pad you are taking but if it's a self inflating pad of blow up pad that will not do you any good in winter condition's now the blow up one from thermarest won't do anything as far as insulation for you! You will need under protection like an UQ, now you can either go full length UQ or 3/4 length!?

4. You will need top insulation!!!! A TQ or sleeping bag will do, but a TQ that is rated the same as a Sleeping bag will be lighter in weight, more compressible(take up less space in pack) when compared to the SB! But either will do, if you are planning to sleep on the ground either will work just make sure that the TQ is wide enough so it cover's you in that situation, as some TQ makers have cut them narrow for use in the hammock's!

If I think of anything else I will post it for ya!?!?! It's a little early for me and I haven't had my morning coffee yet

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Thanks for the replies.

Just looked a bit closer at the Blackbird. From what I can see on the website, the Blackbird is double layered as well, has the ability to take a pad between the layers, has a bug net and a zipper plus storage.

I couldn't find out how the sizes of the Deep Jungle XL and the largest Blackbird compare. In any case, it seems to be lighter, stronger and is not as expensive. What's the catch (other that the large Blackbird is out of stock at the moment)? Has anybody tried both hammocks? Is it just a matter of personal preference?

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Can you use the Hennessy snakeskins with the Blackbird as well? They looked quite handy...

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    NeoAir LT / DIY UQ
    Suspension
    WB webbing
    Images
    You should be able to use snakeskins with any hammock or tarp they are a pretty generic storage option. I own a set of snakeskins but have not used them in practice. I leave my underquilt attached to my hammock and stuff both into a dry bag because I am paranoid not to get my down wet. I suppose I could use the snakeskins on my tarp, I just haven't yet...

I am not aware of any "catch" with the Blackbird and have one on my list when finances permit as an upgrade from my HH Expedition.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by linuxhack View Post
    You should be able to use snakeskins with any hammock or tarp they are a pretty generic storage option.
    You might want to check with bridge users on that statement. Certainly any gathered end should be compatible but I was hard pressed to figure out how to use snakeskins on my bridge. I kind of got it worked out but I think for a bridge I would stick to the black bishop bag style of storage.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB DL 1.1 & Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images
    Welcome to the forum. Everyone else has covered everything i think.
    Most people are very happy with the Warbonnet Blackbird as am i. Outfit it with a lightweight summer quilt or something like the Mamba TQ from Warbonnet or Jack's r better Hudson River TQ to take you into 3 season along with an Under quilt from any of the folks on the forum and you'll be plenty warm. Add to this a OES MacCat deluxe size tarp or others like the Hex from warbonnet, 8x8 from JRB, or Hex from Backwoods Dreamer and your dry. If for some reason you don't like one of the above when you get it they all sell real fast and almost at full price here on the forums but i think you would be happy with any of the above. You can't hang anywhere with a hammock in a forest but you can always find a place and it gives you more options than a tent unless there are no trees. Good luck
    " The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it."

“The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

There's no catch with the blackbird!!
    With the HH you get a tarp, not much of a tarp but a tarp, with the BB you get the hammock but no tarp!

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Great, thanks a lot for the advice.

Since I would buy a tarp anyway, this is not a con. Seems like the Blackbird offers the same and more in terms of weight, weight limit, space and features.

Quilts: if I get it right, the recommendation is to get a top and under quilt, since it provides the same performance as a warmer sleeping bag but weighs less?

When buing quilts, would it be wise to stay with the hammock maker? It seems that the Blackbird is shaped differently than other hammocks. Am I wrong to think that this affects the shape of the quilts as well?

How about windshields - are there any for hammocks (other than tarps)? Due to the experience with my windproof jacket, I'd be very interested in trying this out and seeing if it would be a good/better solution. Or are the quilts windproof anyway?

Thanks!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast