Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images

Making Great Gear vid series... What do you want to know?

I'm back from my belated honeymoon... went white water rafting, wine tasting and museum touring. Had a great time. My thread injector nook is set up and my vid camera is charged.

This series is not intended to replace the We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! series. This is seen as a second step down the road for those who have become more comfortable with the power tool in question. I would like to know what you want covered as I set about seriously planning this series.

I already have in mind an overview of fabrics. (Thanks for all the samples.) I plan on revising and expanding the zipper installation vid. I plan on expanding the seam series to include the modified french seam some people use as a flat felled seam. What else do you want to see?

Here's what I will NOT be doing. I will not be covering the designing of gear. There are ample resources for that. I will not be dealing with clothing at this point. That may come later but then we really start getting into the "sewing" end of the spectrum.

Hardware, construction techniques and other subjects are all fair game. Help me out here folks. Let me know what you need to know to Make Great Gear.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    I am considering adding a segment dealing with another frequently maligned power tool. This would be the Heat Setting Pressure Plate. This variable temperature tool can be used for a wide variety of applications. It can often be set for a steam assist as well as dry heat. Each setting has its own usefulness. If there is interest I'll include that.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    I am considering adding a segment dealing with another frequently maligned power tool. This would be the Heat Setting Pressure Plate. This variable temperature tool can be used for a wide variety of applications. It can often be set for a steam assist as well as dry heat. Each setting has its own usefulness. If there is interest I'll include that.
    to sit proudly next to the Thread Injector. Real men carry it on their hip in a camo holster.

I would be interested Rev. When I use this device I'm never sure that I'm doing it properly.

thx
    Grizz
    (alias ProfessorHammock on youtube)

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    diy
    Insulation
    IX
    Suspension
    whoopie
    Congrats on the honeymoon sounds like ya had fun. I don't remember if you covered them already. If so disreguard this post. I have figured them out somewhat but as a noob it would have been nice to have info on all the various attachment for the thread injector device. How to use them and when they would be applicable. IE like the hemmer foot,binderfoot,walking foot,the ruffler,presser,blind hem,zipper foot,etc. I was fortunate my Rocketeer came with a box of goodies and original manual to help me figure them out some. For now I wouldn't use it maybe when I got better but I could set it up with two needles at once. It would be nice to have that exampled. If I thought I was good enough I'd use that on long hems and save myself 1/2 the time. Also no offense but on some of the vids I couldn't see what was going on because your hand was in the way or item was off camera. Maybe a better angle would help. Thank you. Your contrabutions are very much appreciated.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    I'd love to learn how to better maintain my "thread injector" sewing machine. Topics like how to clean and oil it, preventative maintenance tips, etc.

Thanks Rev!

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NCPatrick View Post
    I'd love to learn how to better maintain my "thread injector" sewing machine. Topics like how to clean and oil it, preventative maintenance tips, etc.

Thanks Rev!
    NCPatrick... I am sorry to say those topics are not likely to be included for a couple of reasons. 1) I have no knowledge and skills in those areas beyond the very basic home style stuff which I can include. 2) Given the range of machines and their relative ages I would be concerned about being able to impart just enough knowledge to be dangerous. Older machines can often be oiled and adjusted by the home user without a whole lot of trouble. My wife used to to troubleshoot, maintain and adjust the old Singer jobbers that she used thirty years ago. Everything was accessible and exposed. The more modern the machine the less home maintenance can be done on it. There are some machines where oiling the wrong places can destroy the components. Many machines now are "self oiling" and use sealed oil baths. Wiping out the bobbin case and the thread path I can do. But beyond that... not much I feel I could share in part because now days each machine is different. I would recommend getting in touch with the local sewing center and asking if they would be willing to share some knowledge with you.

Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    NeoAir LT / DIY UQ
    Suspension
    WB webbing
    Images
    A couple of things that come to mind as intimidating to a beginner are baffles and netting. Any special techniques for bug netting or quilt making?

Thanks, I enjoyed getting what I could out of your first series. I really need to pull out the thread-injector and give it a try sometime.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY DWR nylon
    Insulation
    DIY pad
    Suspension
    Depends
    netting, like can I sew it right to the zipper, or do I need to sew on backing first, zipper end gussetting (sp?), material strength, buttonholing, stitch length versus strength. anyhow, your first vids taught me to sew, thanks.
    An emergency of my own making...is still an emergency.

• + New Posts