Switchback, DD frontline, or speer
    Tarp
    tttghex DD 3 x 3
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, DD, bags
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling, web
    Images
    When I was a young lad, around the time of the dinosaurs, we camped in a tent trailer. My younger sister fell out of the trailer, as the bed end roofs were just held in place with elasticized fabric. She hit the ground, woke up, wandered to the door, and because she did not know how to open the door, started crying. She was let in, and promptly fell asleep. Just happened before the nanny state took so much interest in those things that were fun, like merry-go-rounds, and monkey bars. I know....too old.
    Wherever you are.....there you are

Hammock
    Anything hanging in the living room
    Forgive me, but with a woman's perspective, I could not help but wonder....... Would the troops have even asked that if your daughter was your son?? I think some gender assumption still goes around. I never get tired at being amused at folks' reaction when they find out I take my children fishing, while my husband does not....

Hammock
    warbonnet blackbird, eno doublenest
    Tarp
    oes,warbonnet
    Insulation
    yeti/incubator
    Suspension
    whoopie sling AHE
    good point never thought about gender assumption, but then again i really don't care, i'll take my girls to "guy functions" til hell freezes over. they still enjoy a good car show and watching tractor/truck pulls, and fishing/kayaking as well, after looking back i believe the person was more surprised that she wanted to hang instead of tent. as most of the scouts were secretly jealous and all had sore backs
    i do not remember the question, however i believe beer is the answer

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC 1.7, Traveler S1.7
    Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    A "possible" point of concern (from the busy body) would be the difference between a tent and hammocks...line of sight.
    In a tent, the child is (probably, depending how you sleep) unable to leave without the parent knowing.
    In a hammock, this is not the case. The child could get up and leave without the parent knowing.
    Not all children need "extra" supervision. but some do. I guess it all comes down to the same thing...know your kids!

FWIW, all my kids were out backpacking with me by age 5. and all are still alive
    "Every day is a new day to a better future"
    "Of all the things that matter, that really and truly matter, working more efficiently and getting more done is not among them." ~ Mike Dooley
    "What if I told you that you couldn't have anymore of anything... No more friends, no more money, no more anything, until you first got happy with what you have?"~ Mike Dooley
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." ~ Socrates

In my opinion, it makes no sense to even question it, unless you've hung the hammock 10 feet in the air. Hang it low so that even if they are screwing around and fall out, as a couple of my kids have done, they only have a foot or two to fall. It's no more dangerous than letting your daughter run around camp.

Oh, and all my 4 kids have been on an overnighter by the time that they were a month old, even in winter and, on average, I'd say they log 20 nights a year under the stars. No one has ever been hurt, beyond a couple of scratches. Also, my kids start rock climbing at about 4, and that is worse than hammock camping. No one has been hurt doing that, either.
    Last edited by bigwig; 05-18-2010 at 07:32.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl.
    Tarp
    WBSuperfly w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ & UQ quilts
    Suspension
    Web
    My soon to be three year old, managed to wrap the extra webbing around her neck while I was setting up my WBBB . So be careful and tie up all loose ends, including tarp lines, right away and out of reach of the little ones. She, and her soon to be five year old brother, love the hammocks that I made for them. They have taken supervised naps in their hammocks but never overnight or while I've been asleep too. They use them more like a big swing most of the time.

Hammock
    Homemade
    Tarp
    TBD
    Insulation
    Rab Quantum
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    My daughter's first camping trip was a 5 day tenting gig (car camping basically) when she was probably about 1.5 years old. She's gone on that same trip every year since then, although in recent years her mother has taken to cabin "camping" instead of tents. She still gets the tent and now hammock experience with good ol' dad though!
    "I know the feeling - It is the real thing - You can't refuse the embrace!" | "Go n-éirí an bóthar leat."

Oh no. Me and my friend should be arrested for child endangerment. His three year old twins have hammocks strung up in their rooms.

And maybe it's just me and my fat...posterior... But I have a heck of a time getting out of my hammock intentionally, let alone on accident.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123