Tarp
    HMG Cuben
    Insulation
    CrowsNest & IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images

First test results for IX underquilt

I just got my new symmetrical IX underquilt from Mac last week and took it out for an overnighter up on the Mogollon Rim at Knoll Lake. I used a pair of mini biners to attach the shockcord at each end to the amsteel where it meets the whipping. I initially wrapped one end of the shockcord a few times to increase the tension because it seemed to conform to the bottom of my Traveler better, but later that evening I found that I got better warmth to just clip the full length shockcord without any turns to shorten it, presumably to increase the size of the trapped air pocket.

Here's a picture Te-wa took of me lounging in my Traveler that afternoon with the IX underquilt attached. Nothing like a little afternoon siesta!

When I initially went to bed the temps were in the mid to low 40's. I was amazed at how toasty warm I felt with a full length bottom insulation weighing only 8oz. The temps did plunge a bit lower than the weather forecast, and we estimate it got down to around freezing. At around 1:30AM I finally got too cold and used a backup down underquilt I brought along to get warm again. So my initial guess at the comfortable temp range for this underquilt would be down to around 40 degrees, possibly a bit lower. I'm really excited to have such a lightweight and comfortable solution for summer hanging. The quilt packs up very small too, around the size of a large grapefruit in a stuff sack.

Thanks Mac for pushing innovation and coming up with this exciting new product. This will shave another 5-6oz off my pack weight and decrease my pack volume by a lot. I can't wait to get out this summer and do some SUL hanging in comfort.
    Last edited by drewboy; 05-17-2010 at 08:42.

Hammock
    WarBonnet BB 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe Spin
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniv + Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoppie Slingin'
    Cool, how much did you pay?

Hammock
    Warbonnet Traveler/Blackbird
    Tarp
    HMG Cuben
    Insulation
    CrowsNest & IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    I paid $55, but my understanding is that Mac is charging $60 for them now.

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by drewboy View Post
    Thanks Mac for pushing innovation and coming up with this exciting new product. This will shave another 5-6oz off my pack weight and decrease my pack volume by a lot. I can't wait to get out this summer and do some SUL hanging in comfort.
    Thanks for the test results. I'm still waiting for my IX UQ to arrive so I can test it out.

Was your test was with one UQ w/2 layers of IX? I think Mac says you can double up the insulation and get to 4 layers of IX that might make it a bit warmer.

Patiently waiting.

Hammock
    Tarp
    HMG Cuben
    Insulation
    CrowsNest & IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    This was with a dual layer underquilt, that also has what I believe Mac called insultubes, which seems to be yet another layer in the torso area with some baffling to create more air gaps.

Quote Originally Posted by dejoha View Post
    Thanks for the test results. I'm still waiting for my IX UQ to arrive so I can test it out.

Was your test was with one UQ w/2 layers of IX? I think Mac says you can double up the insulation and get to 4 layers of IX that might make it a bit warmer.

Patiently waiting.

Hammock
    WarBonnet BB 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe Spin
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniv + Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoppie Slingin'
    Man this is cool, somone needs to make one for winter so we can see how heavy a winter version is.

Hammock
    Argon X90 Experimental hammock
    Tarp
    7'x9' cuben tarp
    Insulation
    Pads and quilts
    Suspension
    Kevlar + dynaglide
    Images
    I'm sleeping in mine outside tonight, the temps are supposed to get down to the 50's so I can see if I got my bugs worked out.
    NO SNIVELING!
    www.hikinghq.net - Hiking H.Q.
    www.bmtguide.com - the BMT Thru Hiker's Guide

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by drewboy View Post
    This was with a dual layer underquilt, that also has what I believe Mac called insultubes, which seems to be yet another layer in the torso area with some baffling to create more air gaps.
    Is that two full length IX layers plus ONE extra torso layer of InsulTubes sewn to the bottom layer, thus between the 2 full length layers?

When you got cool enough to add something else about 0130, did you notice if you were colder on your back than your butt and legs? Or was it all about the same? I have been warmer in the legs than the back, so far.

Quote Originally Posted by SGT Rock View Post
    I'm sleeping in mine outside tonight, the temps are supposed to get down to the 50's so I can see if I got my bugs worked out.
    Do you also have an extra torso sized layer of InsulTubes? For 3 layers total through the torso? If you work the bugs out, let us know what it is you did differently.

Hammock
    Argon X90 Experimental hammock
    Tarp
    7'x9' cuben tarp
    Insulation
    Pads and quilts
    Suspension
    Kevlar + dynaglide
    Images
    I've got the one layer with an extra layer at the torso plus one whole 'nother layer.
    NO SNIVELING!
    www.hikinghq.net - Hiking H.Q.
    www.bmtguide.com - the BMT Thru Hiker's Guide

Hammock
    Tarp
    HMG Cuben
    Insulation
    CrowsNest & IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Hey BillyBob. Yes, two full length layers and one extra layer of fabric in the torso region. I recall experiencing the initial cold equally in my back and butt regions, and not so much in my legs.

Is that two full length IX layers plus ONE extra torso layer of InsulTubes sewn to the bottom layer, thus between the 2 full length layers?

When you got cool enough to add something else about 0130, did you notice if you were colder on your back than your butt and legs? Or was it all about the same? I have been warmer in the legs than the back, so far.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast