Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: A Reality Check

Hammock
    DIY (&c.)
    I used to sleep on my side but after using a hammock, I began sleeping on my back (more or less; i.e., turned slightly to one side or the other but still more on back than my side).

It felt awkward to me at first but I persisted and I now find it works better for me than sleeping on my side, even in a flat bed.

Hammock
    WarBonnet BB 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe Spin
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniv + Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoppie Slingin'
    Quote Originally Posted by hiker_DC View Post
    Please for the love of your spine, DON'T sleep on your stomach. Keep trying, stomach sleeping is just as hard, if not harder, of a habit to break as smoking. Good posture while sleeping is just as important as good posture when we are standing, sitting, walking, running . . . . . You will spend roughly 1/3 of your life asleep: do it properly.

As far as falling asleep there are a few things you might try. The first is standardized valerian root. It has to be standardized so that you know you are getting the right amount. Valerian is a MILD non-habit forming sedative. Just enough to calm the brain down, but not enough to warrant the standard label of "do not operate heavy machinery blah blah blah" or totally knock you out. This stuff stinks and I keep my bottle inside a ziplock bag. Also, most people with sleep disturbances are deficient in magnesium. The best form to take is magnesium malate (aka malic acid). Try one or the other at a time. I have had patients take both after having a little success with each separately. The result was like valium: dead to the world. As always, if you deside on supplements, please consult the physician of your choice and take as directed on the bottle.

Hope this helps

Doc
    Did you see the video where the guy @ ted talks took a whole bottle at the begining of his speech, then at the end he told his audience what it was. Basically showing it was impossible to od on them, kinda sceptical of homepathic stuff.

http://njuice.com/5Agkr-James-Randis...-psychic-fraud

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird/Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/Lynx
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ikemouser View Post
    Did you see the video where the guy @ ted talks took a whole bottle at the begining of his speech, then at the end he told his audience what it was. Basically showing it was impossible to od on them, kinda sceptical of homepathic stuff.

http://njuice.com/5Agkr-James-Randis...-psychic-fraud
    Homeopathy and herbal therapy are very different things. Many medicines are derived from chemical compounds found in naturally occurring plants.

Homeopathy is the practice of continually diluting and diluting and diluting something until the statistical chances of having a molecule of useful compound present in the solution are incredibly slim, then claiming that product still has some sort of affect on you beyond the placebo effect.

One of these things is based on science, and one is not. I'll let you guess which

Hammock
    depends on weather
    Tarp
    SWT
    Insulation
    various
    Suspension
    Straps, Dutch Clip
    Images
    Arson - keep trying; we don't want to loose the videos...

Seriously, I hope you find a solution. I can sleep on my back, sides (one at a time!) or stomach but in a hammock sleep on my back 90% of the time. The other 10% is side/fetal position.

Keep us informed.

Hammock
    WarBonnet BB 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe Spin
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniv + Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoppie Slingin'
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustardman View Post
    Homeopathy and herbal therapy are very different things. Many medicines are derived from chemical compounds found in naturally occurring plants.

Homeopathy is the practice of continually diluting and diluting and diluting something until the statistical chances of having a molecule of useful compound present in the solution are incredibly slim, then claiming that product still has some sort of affect on you beyond the placebo effect.

One of these things is based on science, and one is not. I'll let you guess which
    yea, what i meant.

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    BCUSA 10x10
    Insulation
    PLUQ perhaps
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Huggers
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ghandrick View Post
    I don't own one, but I hear that bridge-style hammocks create a lay flat enough to allow belly-sleeping.

A doublenest is nice, but probably won't get you flat enough to lay on your front!

Here are some threads related to DIY bridges, the JRB Bear Mountain Bridge is supposed to be awesomeness itself.

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=14120
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ead.php?t=1676
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ead.php?t=2480
    I'm a noob w/ a doublenest and it's hard enough to get sleep on your side in that. I'd think you would need to be some sort of yoga magician to sleep on your stomach in one.

Hammock
    Switch back 1.9
    Tarp
    Lawson HexaLite
    Insulation
    3-Season Incubator
    Suspension
    whoppie slings
    I was in the same boat as you. Everyone said bridge hammock. You can stretch out lengthwise on your side,stomach and even stretch out your arms over your head. I got a JR B bmbh . the only down side is you can't get into a full fetal position. but you can partially. Your can get the full fetal if you use a blow up air pad in the sleeve then you can. Your knees will top out of the hammock a bit. Maybe some one can give a trial run before you decide on a purchase.
    "The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress, and grows brave by reflection."
    Thomas Paine

Hammock
    GTSBP
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12x12
    Insulation
    Bag and Pad
    Suspension
    WS
    Images
    I'm surprised no one suggested a bridge hammock. Ha, ha.

I already drug myself before bed.

The tent idea is tempting.

You will never lose me or the videos
    Slow is smooth, and smooth is fast.

http://www.youtube.com/user/ArsonHammockHanger

Hammock
    WarBonnet BB 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe Spin
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniv + Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoppie Slingin'
    I gues your gonna have to change your youtube to this:

ArsonGroundDweller

I like a good tent in the right circumstances, above tree line, cold, really windy, etc. But if possible i always prefer a hammock

I've never had the opportunity to try a bridge hammock, but I have tried ENO single and doubles, a Clark NA200 and a HH modified by 2Q+ZQ. I sleep best on my side and of the hammocks that I've tried...the Hennessy works best for that. I suppose that any A-sym (WBBB) would work just as well.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast