Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Formerly of Yosemite and Zion NPs. Currently residing at Grand Canyon NP.

Post-Trail Days 2010 in review

I cant say enough about all the fun I had meeting all the hammockers this year!

Still working on getting the photos posted, so be patient!

JRB, thanks for talking with me and being a nosey neighbor in vendor row!
    Tree to Tree - you guys rock!
    MacEntyre - yea, what can I say... no one slices tomatoes like you do! (lying on the ground... in a kilt...)

ENO was another neighbor and allowed me to crash out in their hammocks for a bit too!

I only have one negative comment about a (hammock) vendor but for now will keep that to myself.

On another note...
    I was talking with someone, and for the life of me cant recall who (yea, thats normal!) we talked about putting the little bitty micro cord locks on a ridge line to keep gear sacks in place to prevent them from sliding to the far reaches of the ridge... who was that!?!?! When you come forward and actually admit you chatted with me, I have some of the mini cord locks to send you!

PapaSmurf, HappyCamper, Trout, Storm and the many others Im leaving out, thanks bunches and hope you had as great a time as I did!!
    Get busy living, or get busy dying.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuffs View Post
    PapaSmurf, HappyCamper, Trout, Storm and the many others Im leaving out, thanks bunches and hope you had as great a time as I did!!
    Cuffs! Was TD too much fun or what! Yes, I had a fantastic time. Can't wait to see your pictures. Don't worry about leaving anyone out. If you can remember everyone then you weren't having enough fun and that's definitely not the case for you and me!
    Exercise, eat right, die anyway -- Country Roads bumper sticker
    Fall seven times, standup eight. -- Japanese Proverb

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 Dbl Coyote Brown
    Tarp
    Superfly, MacCat
    Insulation
    Leigh's 2/3UQ,Yeti
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    I only have one negative comment about a (hammock) vendor but for now will keep that to myself.
    There's only one left!

I didn't know there was going to be a HF get-together at Trail Days. I was there with my son. Then again, I'm kinda glad I missed that tomato-slicing in a kilt thing.

Salty

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1
    Tarp
    TBD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Sling/Web
    Sorry I missed it. After meeting up with Troutehcuss Tues, and making sure he caught the shuttle, I went home planning on returning Thursday to camp. My car had different plans and decided to make an attempt at killing itself.

Water Pump and thermostat were the first to go, and now my rear hatch won't open.

How was the hike in Happy Camper?
    Not the guy to ask for Directions.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    ...When you come forward and actually admit you chatted with me, I have some of the mini cord locks to send you!
    That was me!

(Just kidding...I wasn't even there, but I've been meaning to buy some of those little bitty cordlocks for my stuffsacks!)

Glad you had a great time!
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images
    WrongTurn, the hike in was great. After about a 7 hour drive, JD dropped me at the place you suggested on the AT on Rt. 58 on Tuesday at about 5 pm. I hiked in to Lost shelter and there were a handful of people standing around the fire and I asked if Trout was around and he immediately stepped forward. His surprise was that he thought Happy Camper was a guy and he got me instead! He handled it well. He loves to talk gear as much as I do so we hit it off quite well.

The evening was perfect, no wind or rain. (But the next day we heard from some people that up on Whitetop there was A LOT of wind, so I'm glad we followed your advice and started lower. ) Pleasant evening to setup, make dinner and chitchat with the other hikers. All were sectional hikers having a great time hiking and planning to go into Trail Days.

Trout and I got up next morning and got on trail around 8 am. Again the weather was so pleasant. The only rain we got was about 1 pm just when we got to the next shelter. So we had lunch and by the time we were done, the rain had stopped. Met a thru-hiker who had just bought a kilt in Damascus and was lovin' it. We also met Aquaman and WetFoot who were also section hikers heading to Damascus. Trout and I hiked really slow all day, stopping everywhere, enjoying the sites, smells, and flowers. There were also a ton of hikers on the trail to talk to. Everyone was excited about TD and the chatter was pretty much non-stop. At mile 8 we got off on the Creeper Trail to find a campsite by the stream. I kept wanting to camp at so-so sites, but Trout kept pushing for a better one and found us an awesome site next to the creek with no bugs, perfect access to the stream, fire circle and of course the perfect trees! So we estimated about a 10 mile hike that day. Again the weather was perfect for hiking and camping.

Next morning we enjoyed camp and took a leisurely breakfast and took our time breaking camp. I didn't want to leave it. We debated getting back onto the AT but decided to take the Creeper Trail into Damascus (only about 5 miles), because we were so excited to get to Trail Days. Turned out to be a good decision because Trout's boots started to bug him and cause pain. We got into Damascus about 1 pm I think. For all the bad forecasts, the weather held again. We meandered around Damascus to get the lay of the land and then ended back at Tent City. First person we met there was Riff Raff and he took us back to their camp and then JD came up and took us on the wooded path tour of tent city. We got over to the "quiet" section where there were some other hammocks set up and made camp there. From there it was all about Trail Days and the continuation of a great, great time!

WrongTurn, Trout and I wanna thank you for the info you provided. Trout was especially glad for maps etc. that you brought him. Glad your car conked on you at home instead of in Damascus, but it would have been great to have you there with us! Also want to thank Hooch and Dancer who got me thinking about the hike in the first place. Trail Days was so much fun, but doing the pre-hike really made it the best experience that it could be -- other than AT thru hiking of course!
    Last edited by HappyCamper; 05-18-2010 at 06:10.

Hammock
    WarBonnet BB 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe Spin
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniv + Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoppie Slingin'
    cool, let us know when the pics are up.

Images
    i was wondering when someone would post about traildays. anything exciting happen this year?

Formerly of Yosemite and Zion NPs. Currently residing at Grand Canyon NP.
    Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    i was wondering when someone would post about traildays. anything exciting happen this year?
    Whats that saying... What happens at Trail Days stays at Trail Days!!
    Get busy living, or get busy dying.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images
    LOL, that's why my report ended at the prehike! Nah, nothing to report at Trail Days. It was really boring.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast