Custom 1.7/1.1 WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    DIY SWT
    Insulation
    JRB Nest & DIY RMS
    Suspension
    Whoopee Slings
    Images
    FWIW, I think someone said that the weights listed for kite fabrics generally do not include the weights of any treatments applied to it.
    Stoikurt
    "Work to Live...Don't Live to Work!"

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by headchange4u View Post
    First off, welcome to the forums.

Due to the development of the Bridge hammock, I have been looking into CF pole quite a bit. There are several sources out there. I will check out the website you listed. Finding something that would allow you to break down CF poles into smaller sections would be a great benefit.
    I hear ya HC. I'm trying to get a hold of some aluminum .5" and .43" poles to see if they will hold. I know the .625 is fine. Then I can look a bit harder at the CF.
    From that kitebuilder site this looked promising.
    Not bad at 70g for 5'

Also, the previous link you passed along on the Bridge thread.
    But, I keep remembering what Ron Bell said on his site

".355 outside diameter Multi-Ply- Multi Direction carbon fiber construction- Not just a simple pultruded or wrapped in one direction tube like cheaper CF poles"

I wonder if that's the same as kitebuilder talking about unidirectional and a radial wrap??

I went back to the graphitestore site

So it seems the uni, pultruded isn't the best way to go but go for the uni-rolled wrap like this one
    Read the remarks there.
    So I still don't know which CF to get.....
    Scott

"Man is a stream whose source is hidden."
    RWE

Hammock
    HH Expedition
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield UQ
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by slowhike View Post
    welcome to HF rapt.
    about those light weight fabrics... .75 oz or even 0.5 oz.... Not great for hammocks, but probably fine for very light cat cut tarps.
    are they water proof or maybe DWR treated?
    they might make a good hammock shell or quilt. ...tim
    I went to the Challenge Sailcloth website to try to find more specs on some of the fabrics listed. The lightest (eg Elite 36) are decribed as PU coated "zero porosity". The heavier ripstops (eg 1.5) is listed as "Resin impregnated". Think that means silicon? Anyway you can match up brand names from kitebuilder to the source for more specs. Look like North Sails is also a source.

Thanks for sharing the Kitebuilder.com link Rapt, very interesting stuff there.

Images
    Those fabrics are zp (Zero porosity) which means that they are typically impregnated with a plastic resin... Usually melamine or polycarbonate (mylar) as a liquid (melted) that soaks the fibres and is then rolled flat and thin between metal rollers. Should be waterproof and totally NOT breathable.

The sailcloth is really neat stuff, and often direct source can be cheaper but quantities are usually huge. Kitebuilder often has sales on seconds or overstock that is cheep. I bought a bunch at less than $4 a yard....

Like someone else mentioned I'd use it for tarps, but probably not a hammock.
    Last edited by Rapt; 09-05-2007 at 13:29.

Images
    people use spinnaker sail cloth for tarps.

i bought some kite cloth a while back. it feels like magazine paper, it was listed as .75 oz, but the coating is extreme, and it is much heavier than silnylon.

yes, i also would like to know if the hh is cut on the bias. can anyone tell? the older hh's that i've laid in didn't have anymore stretch than a reg. cut hammock. if they were cut on the bias, i would think there would be a very noticable amount of stretch. hennessy has alot of crazy stuff in his patents that he doesn't actually use in his commercial designs.

i would think a hammock that was cut on the bias would stretch way too much, causing sever shoulder squeeze. for instance, 1.1 stretches more than 1.9 and so it has more shoulder squeeze. a bias cut would stretch way more than even 1.1, i would think.

Hammock
    HH Expedition
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield UQ
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    Images
    My HH (Expedition) does not appear to be bias cut. The "grain" of the fabric runs parallel/perpendicular to the sides.

I am very familiar with ZP from when I used to skydive. You do not want to make a hammock from ZP. A fly maybe, but not a hammock. It's like wrapping yourself in mylar.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12