Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images

Growing pains?

Well.... up to now all my bookkeeping has been the pencil/paper variety. Not all that time consuming since I had a good pattern established.

But I just recently bought Quickbooks Simple Start 2010. I was under the impression I would be able to export everything from PayPal since PayPal will generate reports in QB format.... Only to learn that the version of QB I bought wont import anything but excel files. And Im not buying MS Office. So I see QB pro is on sale locally, so I may give that a try.

Last week was crazy as I think it was my busiest week, ever. Trying to get the QB figured out, where right now I have to enter everything manually. Getting orders out along with a couple rush orders and custom orders.

I want to mention a shipping change @ whoopieslings.com. I am changing from first class shipping to Priority. All orders up to $150 will be $4.85. From $150 to $300 will be $10.70 and $300 to $500 will be $15. I think this will be a good move on a couple fronts.

1) I can use USPS flat rate boxes, rather than the poly envelopes I have been using. A little more security and less likely it will get lost due to its increased physical size.

2) I need to start seperating the shipping charges from order totals for my record keeping. Having a set, seperate charge for shipping means less time spent doing paperwork and more time staying on orders. As it stands now I have about 400 orders to manually enter into QB.

3) Speed... First class isnt all that slow, but priority is certainly faster.

I appreciate everyones patience thats ordered from me in the last couple of weeks. My wait time has exceded my comfort zone.... But Im getting them out as fast as possible.

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Opie

Give http://www.openoffice.org/ a try. It is a free open source MS Office compatible office suite for Windows and many other operating systems.

Cheers

Brian

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/Doors
    Insulation
    Yeti or JRB Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Opie; I think your order turn-around time is still fantastic. At least I never felt like I was waiting on you. Besides the creativity and quality of what you produce is worth the short wait.

In spite of that, I think the changes you're proposing are fair and will certainly make things easier for you (and also easier to focus on doing stuff rather than reporting on stuff).

Brian's suggestion of Open Office is a good one. Open Office supports MS's file formats, including Excel.

Having had my own business for several years, I can tell you that one is almost always stressed. But its a whole lot better to be stressed about how you're going to get everything done instead of stressed about just getting enough income to stay open!!!! (of course sometimes it seems you're stressed about both at the same time )
    David

The road goes ever on and on Down from the door where it began. Now far ahead the Road has gone, And I must follow, if I can, Pursuing it with weary feet, Until it joins some larger way, Where many paths and errands meet. And whither then? I cannot say.
    -Frodo Baggins, The Fellowship of the Ring

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianWillan View Post
    Opie

Give http://www.openoffice.org/ a try. It is a free open source MS Office compatible office suite for Windows and many other operating systems.

Cheers

Brian
    Thanks for the suggestion.

So would I be able to create an Excel file using open office?

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BurningCedar View Post
    Opie; I think your order turn-around time is still fantastic. At least I never felt like I was waiting on you. Besides the creativity and quality of what you produce is worth the short wait.

In spite of that, I think the changes you're proposing are fair and will certainly make things easier for you (and also easier to focus on doing stuff rather than reporting on stuff).

Brian's suggestion of Open Office is a good one. Open Office supports MS's file formats, including Excel.

Having had my own business for several years, I can tell you that one is almost always stressed. But its a whole lot better to be stressed about how you're going to get everything done instead of stressed about just getting enough income to stay open!!!! (of course sometimes it seems you're stressed about both at the same time )
    And Im all about doing stuff.

Thanks for the words of encouragement.

Hammock
    DIY of the Day
    Tarp
    DIY of the Day
    Insulation
    DIY PLoft/IX-UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    WS or Spyder Line
    Images
    I'm happy for you. Many would like to have your problem
    2015 John Rock Spreadsheet.

"If you find yourself in a hole, the first thing you should do is STOP DIGGING "

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Running Feather View Post
    I'm happy for you. Many would like to have your problem
    I know RF. I realize that Im lucky to have this problem.

Didnt want to come off as complaining, which I dont think you were alluding to. Just an explanation of why its taking so long to get orders out. I know most dont mind the wait... but I cant stand it!!!

I also like to get involved in the discussions here, but at times thats difficult because it distracts me from working.

Life is good.... The family is healthy, the roof isnt leaking so everything else will work itself out.

Hammock
    HH Expedition ASym
    Insulation
    Lost River UQ w/IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by opie View Post
    Thanks for the suggestion.

So would I be able to create an Excel file using open office?
    Yes. You can open existing excel files, create new ones, whatever. And moreover, it supports the whole suite of tools, powerpoint, word, etc.

At any rate, they are continually getting better, but beware of trying to open excel/word files that have really fancy formatting. It may not open exactly right in open office. You can CREATE really fancy formatting in open office, but it may not look the same when opened in microsoft office. I don't get the impression you care about that though.

For free software, it's absolutely worth trying out. It's what I use at home and at work.

Opie no matter what you have changed, I will still buy from you as your stuff is top notch, if it takes a day longer to get it, really?! your stuff ships sooooo fast either way is great! I am just glad that you are making the stuff you are, and that I am able to purchase it!!!!!!
    Thanks for everything you do!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    LARGE!
    Insulation
    DIY Bag UQ
    Suspension
    Nacras an Whoopies
    Quick note on Open Office. It defaults to open office format for saving, choose save as and then select the appropriate (.xlf ?) filetype.
    I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast