HH Expl ULA-2QZQ#2
    Tarp
    SWT
    Insulation
    Incubator&W.Burrow
    Suspension
    whoopieslings

Thanks Bug-Bait

...And then one day you find, ten years have got behind you.
    No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun... "TIME" by Pink Floyd

www.linvillegorge.net -Ken's site

www.heavens-above.com -(set your own "home" site)

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    But you have to join first, Glen. I'm the membership chairman this year. Send $10 please.
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    HH Expl ULA-2QZQ#2
    Tarp
    SWT
    Insulation
    Incubator&W.Burrow
    Suspension
    whoopieslings
    Quote Originally Posted by MacEntyre View Post
    But you have to join first, Glen. I'm the membership chairman this year. Send $10 please.

Checks in the mail, Mac

...And then one day you find, ten years have got behind you.
    No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun... "TIME" by Pink Floyd

www.linvillegorge.net -Ken's site

www.heavens-above.com -(set your own "home" site)

Hammock
    depends on weather
    Tarp
    SWT
    Insulation
    various
    Suspension
    Straps, Dutch Clip
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bakeel View Post
    Just put it on my calendar, I am thinking about going down on the Thursday night before. Although the hang is rather far away so only time will tell.
    On a Spring Hang a couple of years ago, the kids and I arrived on Thursday - we had the place to ourselves and had the best weather of the weekend with a full moon rising after midnight. It was glorious!

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    JRB 10X11, MacCat
    Insulation
    Snugfit, 2 JRBs
    Images
    Hi Jay...hope to see you and the rest of the family. We missed you this spring

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Treestrap
    Quote Originally Posted by Javaman View Post
    PB,

FYI the nice cycling roads in that area are scenic but get quite hilly headed up to the parking lot at the trail head. It is also quite hilly from Point of Rocks (just off the C&O) north up to the hamlet of Burkittsville, and is quite a rigorous climb up from Burkittsville to the parking lot. Doable, but challenging with a touring load. The 1/2 mile trail from the parking lot is wide and easy to push a bike up with the exception of 3-4 logs across the trail. You would have to lift the bike over them.

The last steep section is quite challenging for a bike. You would need to unload and carry your gear up a narrow rocky path then return and carry the bike up cyclocross style. It's not long but steep and slippery if wet.

Javaman
    Javaman, I appreciate your reply, it is exactly the kind of info that I was looking for. I live a 1.5 to 2 hours away. I believe that it would be wise for me . To take a day and drive over that way for visual recon of the route and conditions for myself. Then after doing that I can make a decision as to whether or not I want to try it. After reading your post I realize that getting the bike up to the hang site will not be any easy task. Leaving it in the parking lot in someones vehicle is another option. And I appreciate the offers that have been made. But doing that presents it own set of problems. I would need a backpack to get my gear into the hang site. Which would mean lugging it along through out the bike tour. When doing a bike tour I rarely stick to a tight schedule. I ride at whatever pace feels right. I try to take the time to enjoy the scenery. I would hate to hold someone up waiting on me if for some reason I would be running late. As I sit here typing this. I am starting to think that I should just plan on driving to the hang and plan my C&O Canal / GAP tour at a different time. Combining the two may be just to ambitious an undertaking. Hum? I've got some serious thinking to do.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Poppabear.. another wrinkle is the fact that the tote road trail is signed as closed to mt bikes. That would probably only present a problem if you were caught with your bike on the trail. Up to you if you wanted to take the risk rather than stash your bike in someone's vehicle.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Taking a look at the roads and the park ahead of time sounds like a good idea. I don't think getting your stuff up to the camp site would be impossible, with or without the bike, but you're the best one to decide that. If you stash your bike at the parking lot, I've got a Molly Mac Pack I won't be using, except perhaps to gather firewood once we're all set up. It would be the pack of choice for carrying panniers (or almost anything else - you could probably carry a bike with it.)

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Treestrap
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    Poppabear.. another wrinkle is the fact that the tote road trail is signed as closed to mt bikes. That would probably only present a problem if you were caught with your bike on the trail. Up to you if you wanted to take the risk rather than stash your bike in someone's vehicle.
    Good point! However I would take that sign to mean the trail was closed to riding bikes. If I were to opt to take my bike in. I would be pushing / carrying it. Which in effect would not be much different than say using a Dixon Roller Pack. So I could not see how any park official would object to that.

Quote Originally Posted by WV View Post
    Taking a look at the roads and the park ahead of time sounds like a good idea. I don't think getting your stuff up to the camp site would be impossible, with or without the bike, but you're the best one to decide that. If you stash your bike at the parking lot, I've got a Molly Mac Pack I won't be using, except perhaps to gather firewood once we're all set up. It would be the pack of choice for carrying panniers (or almost anything else - you could probably carry a bike with it.)
    WV - thanks for the offer. Using your Molly MAC Pack would definitely be a very viable option. I have been intrigued by them for quite awhile now. I will keep it mind as a possible option.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Poppabear View Post
    So I could not see how any park official would object to that.
    hehehe... you'd think that and would probably be true. However when I was almost cited for using a body of water without the proper permit I was told the presence of my boat and the dampness on its hull was proof that I had been out on the water and therefore in violation. I don't know how I managed to get past that train of logic. It all depends on the mood and decision of the authorities... if they around at all. Just saying.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

• + New Posts
  • Page 6 of 33 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast