Bridge Hammock for 2 year old

Maybe a strange question that raises some eyebrows as far as age, but I am trying to find a good hammock setup for my 2yr old daughter for camping. She has grown up playing in and around hammocks, but has never slept in one through the night. Primarly because she moves so much while she sleeps and likes to sleep on her stomach with knees tucked up. I also am constantly watching and worried about making sure she is safe while she plays in the hammock just to mitigate possible injury.

My wife has given me the ultimatium that she is not going to sleep in the tent any longer with the daughter, while I hang in comfort, so the plan was have all three of us hammock with my daughter sharing the tarp of mine or my wifes. We have considered having her sleep with us in the hammock, but she is such a pain and moves so much it completely defeats the purpose.

So with that long synopsis, I am wondering if a double layer bridge hammock with a sewn on bugnet is the answer? I have never used one, but have drooled on my keyboard multiple times looking at the Grizzbridge. Wish those were on the market...

I like the idea of putting her on a pad, instead of an underquilt, given that she moves so much. I also like the idea of a nice flat lay that the bridge is supposed to have. Is it as stable as the gathered hammocks?

My plan would be to hang her low to the ground next to my hammock so I could reach down and adjust her as needed through the night, I also would deploy the bugneting to keep her from slipping off the side in the night.

Am I nuts, or has anyone done this or thought about a similar setup?

For your enjoyment, a picture of her relaxing and reading in an impromptu hammock setup in the front room.

I've been thinking about the same thing for my niece. I'm considering a small bridge with longer sides so she's more slung under the supports. A lower center of gravity should be more stable in theory, we'll see if it's true or not. I'm also not totally convinced that she'll care about stability. Falling a foot or two concerns her a lot less than it does me. On the other hand, I may just stuff her into my Safari and forget her until morning. She'll have plenty of room!

Boris

You could try sending Hangnout a PM as he made I believe "2" bridge hammocks for his daughter 2sticks! They gave the smaller one away in a drawing here on the forum, but you could contact him and see what he did?!?!

Hammock
    BB
    Tarp
    zpacks cuben
    Insulation
    te-wa Freeze
    Suspension
    whoOpie slings
    Images
    ok, you win. that is the cutest kid/hammock pic ive ever seen.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    You could try sending Hangnout a PM as he made I believe "2" bridge hammocks for his daughter 2sticks! They gave the smaller one away in a drawing here on the forum, but you could contact him and see what he did?!?!
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=15933

Link above to smaller one 2sticks gave away. I really like bridge hammocks for small kids. It is easy to control the insulation with a pad or quilt.

The second one I made was also a double layer but with the open sides. Basically 2 bridge hammocks mated together. This allowed me to just tuck the bugnet in between the layers at night. Kids and zippers just don't work well. This type bugnet allows the kid to get in and out easily and the double layer ensures that they can play in it more without as much worry about damaging hammock.

I would suggest using Grizz's guide to making a bridge hammock and just adjust measurments by the % you want to shorten the hammock. A good starting point to allow plenty of growth room is to make it about 75% of the measurements provided.

The one pictured in the video above was about 50" long. The second one she is currently using is 60" long.

I have found an easy way of making the end caps if you jump into this project.

PM with any questions. We want to get those kids into the woods

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by te-wa View Post
    ok, you win. that is the cutest kid/hammock pic ive ever seen.
    what he said!!
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    I've been hammock camping with my kids since they were three. At first, I always put them in the Hennessy because of the integrated bug net -- I didn't worry about them tossing because I didn't fear them falling out. As they got bigger, I made them all end-gathered hammocks and they've been fine. When we hang together, we're always close. actually hang them higher than me because it's easier to reach up a little than down too far, plus, if I hang above them on a shared post, I usually sag and make them feel cramped beneath me.

• + New Posts